Reload this Page >

California Wildfires..

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

California Wildfires..

Old 09-29-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
California Wildfires..

17,000 Acres burned so far. The main fire appears to be nearish Simi Valley / Chatsworth area but my wife just called and said she can see the flames starting to crest the hillside to the north so it's viewable from Santa Clarita. Winds are heavy today.. With all the rain we had last year this is going to be a horrible fire season.
Old 09-29-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far 70,000 to 90,000 lives were lost in the fire, but seriously fire season is no fun in California. I've had to sweat out a few close calls with brush fires around my house.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1170606

Wildfire Devours 17,000 Acres Near L.A.
Wildfire Devours Some 17,000 Acres Near Los Angeles, Burning One Home, Threatening Many Others
By JEFF WILSON
The Associated Press
Sep. 29, 2005 - A wind-whipped wildfire grew rapidly along the city's northwestern edge Thursday, threatening hundreds of homes and forcing evacuations as firefighters worked under hot, dry conditions.

Winds that had spread flames a day earlier were calmer, but the fire turned out to be far larger than originally thought. Firefighters increased their estimates of the wildfire's size to around 17,000 acres after daylight surveys, more than double the early morning figure of 7,000 acres, said Fire Capt. Carlos Calvillo.

More than 1,000 firefighters worked against the tricky combination of dry brush, low humidity and temperatures in the high 90s along the line that divides Los Angeles and Ventura counties.

"We are not going to stop this fire until we get a break in the weather," Fire Capt. Mark Savage said.

Shelters were opened in both counties, and many residents responded quickly to evacuation orders.

"I wasn't going to get stupid about it. There was only one way out, and it was getting real hot," said Jeff Johns, 48.

About 45 evacuees gathered at Canoga Park High School in the San Fernando Valley, where the Red Cross had set up cots and provided meals.

"Our house is still OK, but, oh, God, it's not a good feeling," said Phil Goldenberg, 53, who was at the school's gym with his wife and son.

The blaze destroyed a home and a detached garage and was threatening numerous other canyon homes in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, officials said.

A building at a lab that designed rocket engines during the Cold War was also destroyed. Firefighters said they didn't know what was inside the structure.

One firefighter was struck on the head by a 40-pound boulder and was taken to a hospital, officials said.

Firefighters feared the blaze would spread to Malibu, the celebrity-packed community about 10 miles away, as other fires fanned by Santa Ana winds have in the past.

Firefighters did not know what started the blaze Wednesday.

A blaze in Riverside County, meanwhile, spread over 1,160 acres between the cities of Redlands and Moreno Valley, about 70 miles east of Los Angeles. That fire destroyed three chicken coops at a ranch believed to house 70,000 to 90,000 chickens.

So far this year, wildfires have charred 8.16 million acres nationwide, compared with 7.74 million acres by the same time last year, according to the National Interagency Fire Center.
Old 09-29-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

She comes down from Yellow Mountain
On a dark, flat land she rides
On a pony she named Wildfire
With a whirlwind by her side
On a cold Nebraska night

Oh, they say she died one winter
When there came a killing frost
And the pony she named Wildfire
Busted down its stall
In a blizzard he was lost

She ran calling Wildfire [x3]

By the dark of the moon I planted
But there came an early snow
There's been a hoot-owl howling by my window now
For six nights in a row
She's coming for me, I know
And on Wildfire we're both gonna go

We'll be riding Wildfire [x3]

On Wildfire we're gonna ride
Gonna leave sodbustin' behind
Get these hard times right on out of our minds
Riding Wildfire

Last edited by uberjoe; 09-29-05 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-29-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A blaze in Riverside County, meanwhile, spread over 1,160 acres between the cities of Redlands and Moreno Valley, about 70 miles east of Los Angeles. That fire destroyed three chicken coops at a ranch believed to house 70,000 to 90,000 chickens.
I saw on TV people running to the scene with buckets of Coleslaw..
Old 09-29-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have friends in Moreno Valley, and I live north of Santa Clarita, so I am affected by both fires.

In fact, I have to head to LA this weekend to do some work in the Simi Valley area. The last thing I wanted to worry about was a fire.
Old 09-29-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This happens every year for at least a few thousand years. So why is it news?
Old 09-29-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pshaw. Get back to me when you have about 500,000 acres burned in a summer like AZ did a few years ago.
Old 09-29-05, 06:44 PM

I own a condo in Oak Park that is right up against the open space. Lots of flames there at about 2-3am, still flames on the hills right now, but luckily so far the winds have been in our favor. Tons of smoke and ash though. Firefighters have told us to have cars packed and ready to go if the winds change. DVDs will not be packed, I have insurance
Old 09-29-05, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mopower
must the the skyrocketing housing prices
Old 09-29-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It really sucks. I live in Simi Valley, Wood Ranch specifically, and I'm sort of surrounded by 3 different fires. I left work early today cause my office is in the Agoura area which is adjacent to Calabasas/Malibu Canyon. I've got my essential shit at the front door ready to go if I get a knock in the middle of the night. Took some pics of my apartment so that I can get reimbursed through insurance. This happened two years ago, is kinda goes with the territory along with earthquakes.
Old 09-29-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why isnt CH 7 not broadcasting their AIR7HD cam like they did for that Plane emergency last week?
Old 09-29-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My question is...how come every time they show any firemen on the ground, they're standing around talking to each other or speaking to the media. How about doing something useful like hosing down some flames?
Old 09-29-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
My question is...how come every time they show any firemen on the ground, they're standing around talking to each other or speaking to the media. How about doing something useful like hosing down some flames?
Because George Bush doesn't care about trees.
Old 09-30-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are trees east of the Rockies not flammable or something?
Old 09-30-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Because firefighters that fight these fires don't "hose down flames". It's all about minimizing damage to property and making sure it doesn't spread. If you had to work as hard as most of these guys do when there are situations like this, you'd appreciate any down time that these guys get.
Old 09-30-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mopower
So do earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, floods, etc.

Also see: robberies, murders, rapes, etc.

What's your point?
Old 09-30-05, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack, Nice to meet another Simi Vallian! Yeah, the fire was getting incredibly close...The air is brown and there is ash all over the place.

I know of another DVDTalk member, critterdvd, but I havn't heard from him yet.
Old 09-30-05, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm posting this from Sherman Oaks which is near the fires and our 5th Floor smells like someone is smoking meat. I can't imagine how bad the air outside must be right now.
Old 09-30-05, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Because firefighters that fight these fires don't "hose down flames". It's all about minimizing damage to property and making sure it doesn't spread. If you had to work as hard as most of these guys do when there are situations like this, you'd appreciate any down time that these guys get.
Survey says: Firemen do hose down flames.

Hey Gizmo!
Old 09-30-05, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dude, you always get your panties all bunched up when people say things about public servants. Mellow out. We know they're Heroes who risk it all for others.
Old 09-30-05, 01:40 AM

I'm in Sherman Oaks, and all our headlights were on at 4 p.m. Ash everywhere. Smells like someone took a huge bong-load.
Old 09-30-05, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm posting this from Sherman Oaks which is near the fires and our 5th Floor smells like someone is smoking meat. I can't imagine how bad the air outside must be right now.
Hi neighbor!!

Actually, my subtle point in the post above is that we aren't really all that close to the fires, relatively speaking. The stuff that we experience is evidence as to how bad it really is! But, I am usually wrong.

Old 09-30-05, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Survey says: Firemen do hose down flames.
For houses, sure. Props for taking my comments out of context, here. It truly takes someone who doesn't know what they are talking about to do that. For these wildfires, it is more about containment then actual "fighting" of the fire. But if they aren't squirting water on it, it's not fighting a fire!!!

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Dude, you always get your panties all bunched up when people say things about public servants. Mellow out. We know they're Heroes who risk it all for others.
No, I take offense to jackholes that think they know what they are talking about and making stupid comments. Maybe you'd think differently, Giantrobo, when you had family that did this specific job for a living.
Old 09-30-05, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

No, I take offense to jackholes that think they know what they are talking about and making stupid comments. Maybe you'd think differently, Giantrobo, when you had family that did this specific job for a living.
Still, no one's trying to shit on them so mellow out and stop trying to talk down to people as if you're the only one who knows anything.

Peace.
Old 09-30-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
So do earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, floods, etc.

Also see: robberies, murders, rapes, etc.

What's your point?
None of those happen in the same spot every year so what is your point?

Either stop building houses in the areas that burn every year or find better ways to put the fires out. Stop acting like it's some big freaking surprise when southern california starts burning like it does the same time every single year.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.