Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

When microwaving something are you supposed to press the Stop button before opening?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you press Stop/Clear if the microwave isn't done cooking and you want to open it?
No, opening the door stops the cooking
78.72%
Yes, it's bad for the machine and it leaks radiation
17.02%
Twikoff, gourmets don't microwave anything
4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

When microwaving something are you supposed to press the Stop button before opening?

Old 09-28-05, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was making microwave popcorn last night and the pops started slowing down with about 30 seconds left on the timer (damn popcorn button never works right) and so I just pulled open the door which stops the cooking process. My wife yelled at me because according to her, you are supposed to press Stop/Clear before opening the door.

Are you supposed to press the Stop button before opening the door? Is it bad for the Microwave? Does it leak radiation?
Old 09-28-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
the "radiation" is in the end of the spectrum that is relatively harmless. it's not like the radiation from a nuclear fission reaction, or x-rays
RF and Microwave range electromagnetic radiation can burn you, but the little bit that would get out from opening the door on a microwave, that's if the generator stayed on long enough, won't do any harm to you.
Old 09-28-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does it leak radiation?
Only into the food you are cooking
Old 09-28-05, 08:36 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

My friend in high school used to jam a pencil into the door so he could put his hand in there. Yep he burned himself but thats about it.
Old 09-28-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That may be the most riduculous thing I've ever heard. Tell your wife to stay off those damn internet message boards.

I mean seriously something that serious or dangerous you'd think there would be warnings all over the microwave.
Old 09-28-05, 09:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
My friend in high school used to jam a pencil into the door so he could put his hand in there. Yep he burned himself but thats about it.
Isn't he a bright one. Is it hard to figure out that if it can boil water, it can boil blood?

In case you're wondering, blood boils at just about 212. At least at 60 ft above sea level it does.
Old 09-29-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Save Ferris

Bob Dole says he's a dumbass!
Old 09-29-05, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my microwave screams like a bitch if I don't press stop before opening the door, somethign to do with the convection part or something. It's got a handy little feature that automatically senses the food and cooks it the "proper" temp without the user having to put in a time. Basically it's idiot proof.
Old 09-29-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by phatboy
my microwave screams like a bitch if I don't press stop before opening the door, somethign to do with the convection part or something. It's got a handy little feature that automatically senses the food and cooks it the "proper" temp without the user having to put in a time. Basically it's idiot proof.
Make and model?
Old 09-29-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by phatboy
It's got a handy little feature that automatically senses the food and cooks it the "proper" temp without the user having to put in a time. Basically it's idiot proof.
So, the microwave is a better cook than my ex-wife. Gotcha.
Old 09-29-05, 08:25 AM

Since the microwave stops emitting radiation when you open the door, you should be just fine. Tell your wife she is getting more microwave radiation from talking on her cell phone.
Old 09-29-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not for the radiation thing, but I've heard it IS bad to open the door while the microwave is running. You can blow a fuse that way. It happened to my brother's. The repairman told him that was the likely cause. The radiation thing is just stupid paranoia.
Old 09-29-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kantonburg
That may be the most riduculous thing I've ever heard. Tell your wife to stay off those damn internet message boards.

I mean seriously something that serious or dangerous you'd think there would be warnings all over the microwave.

Seriously so it's very dangerous to open the door and let all the killer radiation out but it's ok to have that same radiation saturate your food while it's cooking? Makes plenty of sense to me!
Old 09-29-05, 09:00 AM

Seriously so it's very dangerous to open the door and let all the killer radiation out but it's ok to have that same radiation saturate your food while it's cooking? Makes plenty of sense to me
All the microwave radiation does is cause certain things (like fats, sugars, water, etc) to heat up by exciting the molecules as it passes through. The radiation does not stay in your food. The danger a person would face is having your body (which is composed almost entirely by things that the radiatiation affects) "cooked" by the radiation.
Old 09-29-05, 09:36 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

I read somewhere that its things like this that burns holes in the o-zone layers. People letting the radiation out of their microwaves so carelessly.
Old 09-29-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm trying really hard not to laugh at your wife

sorry, i couldnt do it