Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What to do in Hawaii - Maui specifically?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-28-05, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas? On the cheap is good. Where to eat, best place to snorkel or scuba dive - best company to use etc... Best beaches, best surfing (and I don't want to die and I don't want to play in the kiddie pool either), best bank to rob, best nude sunbathing, best place to drop a penny. Any suggestions would be nice. I leave in less than 48 hours and I'll be there for over a week.
Old 09-28-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've heard positive things about something called "Maui Wowi" - I don't know if it's a drug or a sex game or one of those rap groups but what the hey, you only live once, would you rather bore your grandsons at the dinner you will have on your 40th anniversary to that cold-hearted bitch you married because you were too afraid of ever finding anyone, anyone at all, that would ever like you? Look at you, you're a fucking mess.
Old 09-28-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Drive at least part way along the road to Hana (Hana Highway). Gorgeous.
Old 09-28-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
I've heard positive things about something called "Maui Wowi" - I don't know if it's a drug or a sex game or one of those rap groups but what the hey, you only live once, would you rather bore your grandsons at the dinner you will have on your 40th anniversary to that cold-hearted bitch you married because you were too afraid of ever finding anyone, anyone at all, that would ever like you? Look at you, you're a fucking mess.
haha... dude... what?
Old 09-28-05, 10:00 PM

First off, buy "the blue book" and read it. It's called Maui Revealed- The Ultimate Guidebook and a lot of people will have it. Try to find it before you go because some of the locals do not like to sell it (it gives away too many secrets).

The Road to Hana is great, but every tourist does it so it gets crowded. Try to leave early in the mroning so you're not rushed. Also, there's a snack shack named "Halfway to Hana" that makes good shave ice. We also had some good, cheap shave ice in a laundromat in Kahului (it's in the Blue Book).

I'd also recommend the drive around West Maui. The road is really windy and one lane in most places, but the views are incredible. There's one small village along the way where the locals sell dried fruits and banana bread- FABULOUS! Try the dried coconut pieces(they sell them in little Ziploc bags), they are amazingly addictive!
Old 09-28-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to Maui a few weeks ago and here's some of the stuff I did

Road to Hana (pretty much an all day drive when including stops around the island) The road is mostly paved but pretty narrow.

Snorkling in Molokini (We booked with this company http://www.bluewaterrafting.com/)

Drove up Haleakala (You can do a bike ride down if you want)

Went through the shops of Lahaina and at ate a place called, "Cheeseburgers in Paradise" (the place is right on the water)

Went to the aquarium on the last day there (needed something kind of relaxing)

Hit up a bunch of beaches. (You'll see cars pulled off to the side of the road for a lot of these beaches...we'd just pull over and go check it out too)

Went to the nude beach called, "Little Beach" (sausauge fest )
Here's a picture of "Big Beach" which is right next to it.

I wanted to do this: http://www.skylinehawaii.com/ but it was booked full when we tried to go.
Old 09-28-05, 10:41 PM

want some narly waves, mckenna beach is pretty nice. But the waves break pretty close to the beach. I like the town lahuina a lot, its a cool little town and a few fun bars too, but you have to be there on the happening night with the drink specials or else its pretty low key. But anyways good luck and enjoy the beach.
Old 09-29-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
HIGHLY recommend MAUI REVEALED...and rent a convertable Hertz $89 a day for a Mustang convert
Old 09-29-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
HIGHLY recommend MAUI REVEALED...and rent a convertable Hertz $89 a day for a Mustang convert
I saw a TON of these running around on Maui. My friends and I ended up renting a Ford explorer, just because there were four of us and we wanted lots of room.
Old 09-29-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

do you golf?
Old 09-29-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We did a day trip to Hana that was a helicopter there and a tour mini-bus thing back. The helicopter was awesome. The black sand beach at Hana was awesome. The ride back was also great, but I got kinda car sick from all the turning (the road basically looks like this /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I wish I knew the name of the snorkel company we went out with because it was really great. We were lucky and a pod of dolphins decided to swim right near us and check us out. The guys running the trip said they'd never seen wild dolphins hang with snorkelers for so long. It was unreal.

For food there wasn't really as much as I hoped. The problem with Hawaii is that there's virtually no indigenous culture at this point: It's just a tourist factory. We did go to the most old-fashioned Luau we could find and that was pretty cool, but still pretty touristy. The best part about it was while all the fat honeymooners were stuffing their faces that they played a song in English about how if the ancient Hawaiian kings and queens would come back now and see what the white man had done to their land they would cry. Tat was too awesome. I think my gf and I were the only ones who noticed.
Old 09-29-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't golf.
Thanks for the pics and suggestions
I'll look for that book
Helicopter sounded fun, but also a bit too pricey.
I rented a midsize car for 15 bucks a day.
Old 09-29-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
If you like snorkeling, I believe Molekea?? (the crater underwater, whatever its name is) is the top spot on the islands.
Old 09-29-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
If you like snorkeling, I believe Molekea?? (the crater underwater, whatever its name is) is the top spot on the islands.
It's Molokini and it's the best snorkeling tour I've ever taken.
Old 09-29-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

these guys just opened up their Maui branch...highly recommended.

Old 09-29-05, 02:36 PM

Road to Hana- Drive ALL the way around.

Road around West Maui-Great views, very narrow on cliffs at points much more treacherous than Road to Hana.

Rent snorkel gear from Maui Dive Shop and snorkel from southern point up to near Kapalua, Honolua Bay. We preferred snorkeling south of Wailea with a Ahihi Bay being the best. Tons of turtles there and not a lot of other people. Also still like mile marker 14 though it is showing signs of damage from the idiots that stand on the coral. Molokini is ok but over-rated if you ask me. I think you can do a lot better off shore on your own. Snorkel early and beach later in the day. The best snorkeling is before noon, the earlier the better due to afternoon winds.

Maui Revealed was our bible for snorkeling sites, food, day trips, etc... It's a must.

Old Lahaina Lua is the best.

Agree that Little Beach can be majority homosexuals and older couples.
Old 09-29-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by montag

Agree that Little Beach can be majority homosexuals and older couples.

HOT!
Old 09-29-05, 07:46 PM

Even though it sounds kind of lame, do the bike ride down the island.... I went to Maui 10 years ago and that was one of the things that I enjoyed the most.
Old 09-29-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm another Molokini nay-sayer. It was a long ride out and back on what felt like a cattle boat. There was food and drink, but it wasn't very good. The snorkeling was nowhere near as good as what we'd experienced off the West Maui beaches (some of that may depend on how good a spot your boat gets). I brought my own gear with me, but the people I went with opted to use the boat's gear and a couple got ill fitting masks. The crew was friendly, I'll give them that, but the whole thing felt like a waste of time and money for what it was - typical tourist fleecing.

Rent some snorkel gear for the week (spring for the better, more expensive mask) and go out on your own. If you absolutely must do the Molokini thing, take the gear you already rented with you. Sure, it's more convenient to use what's on the boat, and it may be fine, but if it isn't it will defeat the whole purpose of the trip. At the very least, use your own mask.

Oh, and if you like sushi, go to Sansei. I believe they have two locations. Get Rock Shrimp Dynamite - yum!
Old 09-29-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IO valley, whaler's village, plantation, lahaina.

Do a search for Maui for past year have a good thread.
Old 09-29-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by UWSarge
Drove up Haleakala (You can do a bike ride down if you want)
Heard great things about this ride! My goal is to eventually ride up the mountain!
Old 09-30-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kitkat
Oh, and if you like sushi, go to Sansei. I believe they have two locations. Get Rock Shrimp Dynamite - yum!
I didn't think Sansei was that great. Had a long wait at the restaurant to get a table and the food didn't seem any better or worse then what you can get at the same price in LA.
Old 09-30-05, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UWSarge
I didn't think Sansei was that great. Had a long wait at the restaurant to get a table and the food didn't seem any better or worse then what you can get at the same price in LA.
Oh well, different tastes. I've been to the one at Kapalua a few times and thoroughly enjoyed every meal.

(OK, I just got it into my head to google it at Chowhound. Apparently the one at Kihei sucks. Was that the one you went to by any chance?)
Old 09-30-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kitkat
Oh well, different tastes. I've been to the one at Kapalua a few times and thoroughly enjoyed every meal.

(OK, I just got it into my head to google it at Chowhound. Apparently the one at Kihei sucks. Was that the one you went to by any chance?)
Yeah, we went to the one in Kihei. That might have been why.
Old 09-30-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eat at Cheeseburger In Paradise. (There's one in Honalulu too). It's on the Western part of the island, but I don't recall the town (It's been a few years).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.