Reload this Page >

Employment Contract Question

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-28-05, 05:53 PM
Political Exile

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have received an offer from an accounting firm to start in the Fall of 2006 subsequent to my graduation in the Spring of 2006. My question is this. I thought I was told on the phone that I would have until December to accept or reject this offer. The contract states:

We look forward to hearing from you. For planning purposes, we would appreciate your response to this offer by September 30, 2005. Our offer will be valid through this date. Please contact --- if you would like to discuss any aspect of this offer prior to making your decision.

I just received this contract from DHL today, and I think 2 days is a little unreasonable to make a decision. I was also counting on the time since I have a couple of interviews with other companies in October. Now, I like this company, but it's Big 4, and I was thinking of going towards a smaller regional firm. My problem is that the regional firm I was hoping to work for doesn't interview me until October 4th. I emailed the recruiter with my timeframe question, but my question for anyone who might know about employment laws is this. Let's say that the 30th is the deadline. I think I would have to accept this offer because I don't want to be stuck without a job because I was hoping for another one that I didn't get. If I sign this contract, how easy is it to get out of it if the other company offers me a position, and I decide I would rather work for the smaller firm. If it makes a difference I would be employed in NJ.

Thanks in advance for any help the forum can offer me.
Old 09-28-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
read the contract... If their only way in reserving you is through paper and not money then its their loss iof you go somewhere in the meantime. The only downside is it can make you look bad if you want to work for them in the future.

Why would someone hire you when your not graduating for another year?
Old 09-28-05, 06:15 PM
Political Exile

I don't know I guess that's how accounting firms do things. I can take a $1,500 advance, but that is optional. My pay doesn't start until I start working.
Old 09-28-05, 06:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
read the contract... If their only way in reserving you is through paper and not money then its their loss iof you go somewhere in the meantime. The only downside is it can make you look bad if you want to work for them in the future.

Why would someone hire you when your not graduating for another year?

Not only accounting firms but many employers in general recruit fresh meat right out of college because they cost less, and can be molded to company specifications. Once you start working it is much more difficult to make you change your habits.

To answer the contract question there is a lo more information needed. Also, employement law vary tremendously from state to state... should we assume it is NJ?
Old 09-28-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
...I think 2 days is a little unreasonable to make a decision

...I have a couple of interviews with other companies in October.

...I was thinking of going towards a smaller regional firm.
Sounds like you should decline or postpone (if they'll go along with it) to me.
Old 09-28-05, 06:53 PM
Political Exile

I want to postpone, but if I decline I don't want to end up without a job. What more information is needed? I can post the contract with names deleted. Yes this is NJ.

Last edited by spainlinx0; 09-28-05 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-28-05, 07:04 PM
Political Exile

Great this is the reply e-mail.

Today is Tuesday, September 27th. I will be on campus for the remainder of the week with no access to voicemail or email. I will respond to all emails as soon as I get a chance. Thanks!
Old 09-28-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Look, Donny, or Big Mike, or whatever your name is. This is a BIG 4 firm. Think about it. You know the Big 10? The college sporting group? Yes, well, they're not even a BIG 4. I mean, that's big. Just take the job. Think of it, on one hand, sure, it could be boring, sure, you're just another cog, another wheel in the machine made for The Man, who's the man, I don't know, but we're cogs; the point is, what's the downside? That maybe you make the money for what --- to get around with Gabrielle from the 7th floor? What is that like her 10th boyfriend this year? She gets around too. So what, it's only cocaine. It gets by, it gets better each time. Don't think about it too much man. You got drugs and a good well-used cooter ahead of you. Keep your eyes on the prize.
Old 09-28-05, 08:19 PM
Political Exile

I don't want to be a cog.
Old 09-28-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
We look forward to hearing from you. For planning purposes, we would appreciate your response to this offer by September 30, 2005. Our offer will be valid through this date. Please contact --- if you would like to discuss any aspect of this offer prior to making your decision.
Is that the person you contacted, the one in the contract? If so, and they are out of the office, I highly doubt they will withdraw the offer before you have a chance to talk to them. Remember, they made the offer because they wanted you.
Old 09-28-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Explore your options. But in the end do whatever makes you happy. The "same ol'" just isn't worth it.
Old 09-28-05, 08:49 PM
Political Exile

Yes that is the person in the contract. She is the recruiter for the area.
Old 09-28-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you are getting recruited by a Big 4....you can probably land at a decent mid-level place. Just a thought.
Old 09-28-05, 09:02 PM
Political Exile

I was thinking the same thing. This is my second interview with the regional firm, but I don't want to take some blind leap.
Old 09-28-05, 09:23 PM
Banned

It doesn't matter. I give those offers all of the time. The truth is that it's not a binding contract of anything other than the salary to which you agree. At any time after signing it you can then decline or they can recind their offer. Heck, you can start working there, take the bonus and then quit a week later if you want. You are free to quit at any time.

You can even accept two offers if you'd like. My girlfriend did just that -- she was in the same situation of a tight deadline and a later interview. She accepted the offer before the deadline because it was the best offer she had at the time, interviewed a month later with another company which also gave her an offer. She took the second job, and sent a flush letter back to the first company the week before she was supposed to start (in the event that the second job was lost).

You run the risk of being blacklisted, but if they're pushing the issue, there's nothing you can do. If nothing else, I'd suggest interviewing with the other company either way. Even if you take the first offer and decide you won't change your mind, that second interview is a prime networking opportunity.
Old 09-29-05, 10:25 AM
Political Exile

The recruiter e-mailed me back and said the date is December 2 so I should be alright. Thanks for the info people.
Old 09-29-05, 12:03 PM

The recruiter e-mailed me back and said the date is December 2 so I should be alright. Thanks for the info people.

Congrats!! I've worked at a couple of Big 6, then Big 5, now Big 4 firms.

If you have any questions I would be glad to help.
Old 09-29-05, 02:33 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Congrats!! I've worked at a couple of Big 6, then Big 5, now Big 4 firms.

If you have any questions I would be glad to help.
I know these companies always sugarcoat the actual hours you work. About how many hours would you really put in on a busy week, and then on a "slow" week.
Old 09-29-05, 02:57 PM

Are you going to be Audit, Tax, or Consulting

The following is for Audit and Consulting in the Metro NY area.

During the Summer you are looking for something to do - there were days I would come to the office, check my e-mail, voice mail then turn right around and go catch the 11am bus home. However, in the summer most everything you do ends at 5 - 6pm (depends on your client - but most client offices are more lax in the summer).

Once the Summer ends things don't pick up much until Mid October / November. During this time you are doing preliminary work at the client site and you will work to 6-7pm or so. However once Thanksgiving week arives you barely work at all.

In December you may work 6-7pm for the first week or 2 in December. Then Christmas break sets in. People in the office take off the last 2 weeks, clients take off - so you do basicaly nothing.

Mid Jan - Early April depending on the client you will work like a slave. You don't leave the office until after you eat dinner 8-9-10-11pm. I've seen people work all night or until 2am go home then get up and be back at work by 9am. This truly depends on how demanding your client is, how gung ho your senior or manager are, etc.

They only got me to do this a handfull of times I would just cut out at the end of the day and come back in at the ass crack of dawn (no one could say I wasn't doing my share of the work)

After April - May Spring fever sets in and the work load is lightned. people start cutting out of the office at 5:30 on the nose or 6.

Overall you work for 4-5 months out of the year like a dog, 4 months are regular hours, and 3 months you don't even need to go to work.
Old 09-29-05, 03:35 PM
Political Exile

That doesn't sound too bad other than the dog working part. It's pretty much what they told me. I had heard stories of people bringing pillows to work because they didn't even feel like driving home after work. What I liked about the regional firm is that the recruiter told me she rarely ever even had to work past 9 because the higher ups wanted to get out of there. Even if she was exaggerating a late time of 10 or 11 is better than 2AM. I would be doing Audit although I think they are calling it Assurance now. I think my work might be a tiny bit better than NYC work just because my offices are based in NJ, and I think they mostly deal with NJ clients. However I really couldn't say either way. Also the smaller firm will probably start me out with a lower salary, but they offer overtime for the first 3 years I believe. This could be taken as vacation or the cash equivalent. Big 4, that's not happening. There are pros and cons to both which is why I'm glad to have the December 2nd deadline.
Old 09-29-05, 04:20 PM

NJ eh?? If the office is located in Parsipanny (sp) I think I know what firm it is

The choice is yours - and how much you work is a total game of chance.

I remember when I started there were a few of my co-workers that were pulled on this large project the 3rd day they were in the office. They worked all night long, while the rest of us were out the door at 4pm for 3 months in a row.

NJ and NY you will still be on simmilar clients - the Metro NY area is all "go-go"

Your work load will also depend if you are going to focus on Financial service clients (no-inventory) or Commercial Service customers (inventory)
Old 09-29-05, 05:21 PM
Political Exile

Yes, the Big 4 company would be in Parsipanny. Did you work there?
Old 09-30-05, 10:06 AM

Yes I worked for them. It's a good company and I liked the people there a lot. I worked out of the World Financial Center offices in NY. I think that their training facility is in Arizona - I never went out there... but hear that it is a good time
Old 09-30-05, 10:28 AM
Banned

You don't need to talk in code. A 2 second google search pulls up referrences to Deloitte.