Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Fashion question for Japanese Otters (or those familar with Japanese culture)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-28-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some of you may know from some of my previous posts, I am a fan of ThinkGeek.com. Today they sent out an email and, amongst the items that they were promoting/introducing were a handful of t-shirts, marketed to all Americans, but whose messages targeted Japanese "readers". The descriptions made them seem light-hearted enough and like they could be funny, but, since they are in Japanese and relate to Japanese culture/tradition, I'm not sure.

So, once again, I turn to the omniscient knowledge source that is the Otter Farm. Anybody care to let me know if these would be funny if you saw somone wearing them (for this exercise, assume that they are being worn by an average American white guy)?

(all pictures are linked to their site for more information)

Supposedly has something to do with kicking out western culture.Supposed to roughly translate to "Now accepting applications for Japanese girlfriends."
Front:
      Back:
Supposed to be a "Things To Not Do In Japan" t-shirt
Supposedly translates to "Dirty American Devil" and is sort of a "racial" slur towards Americans?Supposedly reads "Beware of Perverts - Dangerous Persons are in this Area".

There are some others, but they seem a little more straight forward, and not as funny.
Old 09-28-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe the seppaku one?
Old 09-28-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I should also point out that, I'm not actually planning on buying any of these, I'm just curious to know if they really are funny and/or if the translations are correct/appropriate.
Old 09-28-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you wore one of those in Japan, you would probably get noticed just because you'd be a gaijin wearing a shirt with Japanese writing. I suppose some might think they are cute, but would probably be considered somewhat kakko warui (not cool) or just kind of goofy to others. On the other hand, I feel the same way about most t-shirts with broken English worn by many Japanese in Japan. (usually just worn because English is considered cool, even if the wearer has no idea what their shirt says). I personally would feel kind of silly and self conscious wearing one of those in Japan, but that's me.
Old 09-28-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is what happens when we let them keep their Emperor
Old 09-28-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The best T-Shirt I've ever seen was at this souvenir shop in Florida.

It was just a blue shirt with really small print that said

"You nosy little fuck"
Old 09-28-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a few of these shirts years back from Jlist.com (where they originated - hope thinkgeek is giving credit where it is due) as well as some not pictured here. I have the top right one and the bottom left one. I've gotten interesting comments on them from both people who can and can't read them. Wearing the 'looking for japanese girlfriend' one at a shopping center, I had a few laughs and snickers from a couple groups of asian tourists. I wore the dirty american devil one to the gym and this guy kept staring at me and laughing and then finally came up to me and asked me if I knew what it meant. Given their culture, I'd say these shirts are pretty funny to them... especially seeing them on an anglo... and even more especially assuming the person reading them has no idea what they say. One I didn't get, but that I really like is this one:

It means "Stupid Foreigner" - maybe if I lived in Japan.

I don't wear them much anymore - the novelty wore off for me.
Old 09-28-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
If you wore one of those in Japan, you would probably get noticed just because you'd be a gaijin wearing a shirt with Japanese writing. I suppose some might think they are cute, but would probably be considered somewhat kakko warui (not cool) or just kind of goofy to others. On the other hand, I feel the same way about most t-shirts with broken English worn by many Japanese in Japan. (usually just worn because English is considered cool, even if the wearer has no idea what their shirt says). I personally would feel kind of silly and self conscious wearing one of those in Japan, but that's me.
I did feel kinda silly and self-conscious wearing the japanese girlfriend one in a shopping area. And yeah - I think alot of the humor derived has to do with them being kinda dorky. Imagine some japanese guy wearing a tshirt around some mall in the US that said "I'm wanting blond American Girlfreind"
Old 09-28-05, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My brother has and wears the Beware of Perverts - Dangerous Persons are in this Area one to school. Silly American kid
Old 09-29-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I have seen some Japanese kids wearing various Engrish or perverted shirts, including stuff like "Fuck my vagina."
Old 09-29-05, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trigger
Imagine some japanese guy wearing a tshirt around some mall in the US that said "I'm wanting blond American Girlfreind"
Yeah, that would get him the chicks. I just imagine that the "Japanese Girlfriend" t-shirt would have a similar effect in Japan. It wouldn't get you the cool chicks anway.

I was going to mention as well that jlist has been selling those kinds of shirts for years.
Old 09-29-05, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

those crazy japanese! What will they think of next?
Old 09-29-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the brown one in the top left corner. It's "Sonno Joi" which was a rallying cry of "Respect the Emperor and Expel the Barbarian" that was used after Perry came. Had to explain the meaning to my Japanese wife as it's a bit obscure. Wore it in Japan a couple of times when I lived there and got a few glances.
Old 09-29-05, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Trigger

It means "Stupid Foreigner" - maybe if I lived in Japan.

I don't wear them much anymore - the novelty wore off for me.
actually, that means troublesome foreigner. i personally dont find any of them funny.
Old 09-29-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the ecchi (pervert) shirt from J-List (http://www.jlist.com/IMAGE/fp0ae). I wear it regularly. I live in an area with a large Asian population (mainly Korean and Japanese) and every now and then I notice some of the Japanese people in stores looking and giggling. Usually not though. My girlfriend has the "Rated H" shirt (http://www.jlist.com/IMAGE/b8hyr) that she wears too.
Old 09-29-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rexinnih
I have the brown one in the top left corner. It's "Sonno Joi" which was a rallying cry of "Respect the Emperor and Expel the Barbarian" that was used after Perry came. Had to explain the meaning to my Japanese wife as it's a bit obscure. Wore it in Japan a couple of times when I lived there and got a few glances.
I know what Sonnō jōi means, but wouldn't recognize the Kanji. The Clavell book Gai-Jin deals a lot with the Sonnō jōi movement and is an excellent read as well.