Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

DHL Problem (The hits keep coming today)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-28-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Monday, a replacement hard drive for my laptop was sent next day air from Dell. I wait for it to arrive yesterday by 3pm, nothing. Today, I return home from class at noon, and it the tracking page says delivery made, signed for by receptionist. There's no note on my apartment door stating package is at leasing office or anything. So I walk my way down to the leasing office, see the guy who apparently "signed" for my package, and says the DHL courier dropped off two documents, and that's it.

So I call DHL and tell them of the situation, and how it's urgent that I receive the replacement hard drive, and she logs all my bitching and complaints, and has the nerve to tell me that your package will most likely not be delivered until tomorrow. I get really angry and tell her to call the damn courier, and she proceeds to tell me the drivers do not carry cell phones, CB radios, just a text based pager. It boggles my mind that in this technological of a society people can't be contacted to "fix" their mistakes. And of course, I have no position of power in this situation sinc eI paid nothing for the shipping. Dammit I hate DHL!!!!!!
Old 09-28-05, 01:03 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Complain profusely to Dell.

If they get enough complaints about DHL maybe they'll stop using them. And tell DHL you're doing that.
Old 09-28-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was in your shoes for my widescreen monitor, if the "receptionist" signs that means its back at the facility.
Old 09-28-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can you pick it up tonight at the shipping warehouse?
Old 09-28-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Until the package is in your hands, it's Dell's responsibility to you. Don't complain to DHL, comlain to Dell. My brother sent his iPod in for repair and it was overnighted back to us. I didn't know they overnighted, so when it had been a week since Apple emailed me saying they shipped it back, I got concerned. I called Apple, found out that the driver had delivered every package that said Apple to the Apple store. And it wasn't the first time he did it. Not only did Apple fix the situation, they gave me a couple free
accessories for my troubles.

The moral of this story: Call Dell.
Old 09-28-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

think....concession coupon....ask for $50....
Old 09-28-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DHL claimed they delivered a LCD monitor but never did, Dell shipped it a second time. Just today I was reading a thread elsewhere about DHL "stealing/losing" packages.

Take it up with Dell.
Old 09-28-05, 08:55 PM
Banned

DHL has been terrible lately.

My company shipped 52 packages all across the country to arrive at various college career fairs. Less than half arrived on time, and half of the remaining arrived several days late.

The other 25% were lost completely. This included 6 display sets at a cost of $20,000 each in value and $200 each to ship.

In fact, packages that were mailed together (from the same place, at the same time to the same place) were only half delivered.

I believe we signed a new contract with FedEx that day, because I was told to ship everything that did arrive back to Houston on FedEx.

It was a fiasco.
Old 09-28-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I"m not sure if anyone has mentioned it already....but you should definately complain to Dell. DHL sucks. Hopefully Dell will stop using them with enough complaints. Ask for a concession coupon....$50? Oh, and if you ever buy an ipod, and it breaks, and DHL loses it, make sure to complain...because you could probably score some free ipod accessories.

-p
Old 09-28-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DHL is putting service back in customer service

Seriously, since I work for UPS we have been told that Dell is switching deliveries (about half) to the USPS.
The plan is to ship them to your local post office. The post office will notify Dell that they have received them. Dell will then email you that its at the post office for pick-up. You go to the post office and pick it up.
I think that its asking a lot of your customers.

Here's the linky for non-believers

Dell to stop computer deliveries to some customers' homes
Old 09-28-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Friend works at a jewlery store and they won't use DHL anymore since they lost a couple high value packages..

But yeah, call Dell... not only are they responisble for you getting your package, they probably have much more pull being a large corporation.
Old 09-28-05, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Just Lurking
DHL is putting service back in customer service

Seriously, since I work for UPS we have been told that Dell is switching deliveries (about half) to the USPS.
The plan is to ship them to your local post office. The post office will notify Dell that they have received them. Dell will then email you that its at the post office for pick-up. You go to the post office and pick it up.

Here's the linky for non-believers

Dell to stop computer deliveries to some customers' homes
You know, I like that plan. I ordered a notebook the other day, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't make it to me. Of course, I've also had multiple packages stolen because DHL just leaves them on my door step (we're talking digital cameras and a Movado watch, too). I'm sure as soon as a package with "Dell" on it hits the door mat, it's gone.
Old 09-28-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I didn't DHL was getting so bad.

Maybe with the increased business from Dell, the USPS won't raise the first-class stamp to .40.

Yeah, I know. Fat chance.
Old 09-28-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DHL (Airborne Express) has had a habit of lying to me about atempted deliveries. There were at least 5 occasions where I never budged from my living room all day yet they claimed a delivery was attempted and no one was home.
Old 09-28-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Wow, I didn't DHL was getting so bad.

Maybe with the increased business from Dell, the USPS won't raise the first-class stamp to .40.

Yeah, I know. Fat chance.
With the prices of fuel, do you think the USPS can afford not to raise its rates?
Old 09-28-05, 10:44 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPete
DHL (Airborne Express) has had a habit of lying to me about atempted deliveries. There were at least 5 occasions where I never budged from my living room all day yet they claimed a delivery was attempted and no one was home.
I had one of those a couple of days ago from FedEx. And that wasn't the first time.
Old 09-28-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

she proceeds to tell me the drivers do not carry cell phones, CB radios, just a text based pager.
That seems odd. Is this normal for other couriers?
Old 09-29-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

THey lie. Of course the driver has a personal cell phone and of course they have the number at the office. But they aren't about to call a driver that's half-way across town to deliver a package to you. That would only fuck up the rest of their schedule. Saying they have no way of contacting the driver is the easiest out.

And wow, I had no idea DHL sucked this hard. The lady I spoke with at Apple about my brother's iPod let on that they were having a LOT of problems with DHL. The driver that dropped everything with Apple at the Apple Store had apparantly done it at least five other times. THAT ONE DRIVER.
Old 09-29-05, 10:58 AM

I remember one order through DHL that I requested as overnight - kept looking at the status on the site after the delivery time had passed, and it said that there was no one available to sign for it - business closed. Nevermind that we had at least 15 people in the office that morning in a small suite - no way we had the doors closed nor someone available to sign for it.

I complained to CDW, and they told me that it was in DHL's hands.

I called DHL and they delivered my product in the afternoon - might have helped that the local DHL office is a few blocks away.
Old 09-29-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know this post doesn't belong here, but maybe some balance. I haven't had any problems with DHL and they shipped me a large ceramic plate from Italy in a matter of days, with no problems. Their tracking was much better than UPS. For whatever that's worth.

Of course... it could only take a couple bad shipments through them to make me never want to use them again. Some error is unavoidable, but it sounds like people here are noticing a trend. I've had more problems with slow UPS deliveries myself. Two due to equipment failures, just a few weeks apart. I thought that was strange.
Old 09-29-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Just Lurking
[/URL]
Well, this would actually be a really nice option for a lot of people (see Matta's post). But requiring it seems pretty asburd. If someone doesn't deliver to my doorstep, I will just order somewhere else. Simple as that.

I love my Dell computer, but there is plenty of good competition out there.
Old 09-29-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have had problems with DHL in the past and twice in the last 2 weeks. I ordered some reagents for our lab to be delivered the next day, Thursday. I received no package Thursday, or Friday, when I talked to the manufacturer they gave me a song and dance about DHL and Airborne merging causing all kinds of grief - problem is this occurred several months ago. The following week I was to receive 3 of this same reagent, I received boxes 1/3 and 2/3 but no 3/3. I check the number and see it is still in the original ship city, not showing to have left the original DHL city. I call and am told they will trace it and call me back by Friday at 5:00, it is freaking Tuesday afternoon! These kits cost about $7k each and are worthless to anyone outside of a Blood Bank, so it is not a theft issue. I received both packages 6 and 7 days after shipping, luckily this product is safe to have in transit that long. I told the company to not use DHL to ship anything to me in the future.

I have also had Saturday deliveries that did not make it because they said they attempted to deliver, but we were closed. We have people in receiving/distribution 24/7 and opened to the public on Saturday until 5:00, we close long after DHL goes home on Saturday.
Old 09-29-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Man. What's going on? This is a lot of complaints...
Old 09-29-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BigPete
Yup. That happened to me. I was at home for the afternoon (expecting the delivery). I called them at 5pm, and they told me that they tried to deliver it, which is a lie....since the guard house had no record of him coming, and I didn't get a phone call asking if he could come in, etc. It required a sig....which is why I was at home. What a waste of half a day.

I had to drive 30 min south to a dinky hole in the wall location to pick up my item. It was such a PITA.
Old 09-30-05, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm
I have had problems with DHL in the past and twice in the last 2 weeks. I ordered some reagents for our lab to be delivered the next day, Thursday. I received no package Thursday, or Friday, when I talked to the manufacturer they gave me a song and dance about DHL and Airborne merging causing all kinds of grief - problem is this occurred several months ago. The following week I was to receive 3 of this same reagent, I received boxes 1/3 and 2/3 but no 3/3. I check the number and see it is still in the original ship city, not showing to have left the original DHL city. I call and am told they will trace it and call me back by Friday at 5:00, it is freaking Tuesday afternoon! These kits cost about $7k each and are worthless to anyone outside of a Blood Bank, so it is not a theft issue. I received both packages 6 and 7 days after shipping, luckily this product is safe to have in transit that long. I told the company to not use DHL to ship anything to me in the future.

I have also had Saturday deliveries that did not make it because they said they attempted to deliver, but we were closed. We have people in receiving/distribution 24/7 and opened to the public on Saturday until 5:00, we close long after DHL goes home on Saturday.
The same thing has been happening to me! And I'm in Canada, so it makes it even more complicated. Had two orders shipped to me from ThinkGeek - they ship the first order and send me an email w/ the tracking number. I check the number just to see where it is, and I see that "Recipient refused delivery in New Jersey - wtf!? So I call up DHL and they say there is nothing they can do - its not a proper international tracking number and its been returned to sender. I call up ThinkGeek and they say its because of problems they've been having w/ Airborne and DHL merging and he'll send me out another package right away, free of change. I'm happy and the package arrives just fine in a couple of days, great!

The second order ships, and everything looks fine until I check the tracking number and see that they've 'attempted' delivery 3 times already. They reasons they put down? No one home/No access. Now I live in a secure building, but all the delivery guy has to do is push the button for my apartment number and I'll buzz him in - just like I did w/ the successful delivery 3 or 4 days ago. The most recent attempted date is today (the 28th) at 1pm - I've been awake and in the apartment since 6AM, so its fairly obvious that no attempt was even made. I call DHL to complain, and like any good 'customer service' company they jerk me around and make a tonne of excuses. The long and short of it is, they basically won't deliver this package to me cause they've already made 3 'attempts' and I have to go pick it up from some warehouse on the other side of town.

At this point I have no idea how or when I'm ever going to get this package, as I work graveyards and don't have access to a vehicle during the day, and I'm so upset w/ DHL and ThinkGeek that I can barely think straight.