Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I think Iíve traumatized my son (wind-related)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-26-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SoÖ about 2 weeks ago I was with my 4-year old (will be 5 in a few weeks)at his soccer match, along with my 7 year old. The 7-year old was practicing soccer with a friend of his who had a sister on my 4-year oldís team; and the friendís dad was there. I could tell bad weather was coming and I wanted to talk to somebody on the other end of the soccer field, so I started across. When I was half way across the front came through with very strong winds (probably 40+ mph). People were scattering everywhere. I ran back, took maybe 20 or 25 seconds. The other father was watching his two and my two kids as people kept running for their cars; there was no rain, just strong winds. I took my two kids back to the car and sat them in it as I waited for the parking lot to clear a little. So my younger son is pleading with me to leave because of ďtornadosĒ (there werenít any, just strong winds). I tried to calm him down and as soon as it cleared up enough for me to leave, I left; it was raining pretty heavy at that point.

Two days later we went back to soccer and there were moderate winds, maybe 5mph to 10mph. He was terrified of being outside. My wife later questioned him and he said that he was afraid that if he went outside, we would be blown away by the ďtornadosĒ, leaving him to fend for himself since I wasnít there when the winds kicked up during soccer.

Heís been doing this for a couple of weeks now. Today we got a call from his pre-school teacher (pre-school through the elementary school, not a daycare), the winds today were maybe 5mph and he was clutching her telling her that he had to go inside because there might be tornados.

When he says that heís afraid of the tornados, Iím thinking that he is thinking of hurricanes which he must have seen on TV (Katrina and Rita). Of course, hurricanes are not a problem in Illinois, though there are the occasional tornados but he doesnít know what a tornado is. I donít think he does.

Prior to that event at the soccer field two weeks ago he was fine with the weather and would even go out with me to watch the thunderstorms. Now, 5 to 10 mph wind scares him. Any ideas?
Old 09-26-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Block The Weather Channel from your remote

Hmmm, I don't know, but you might seriously consider contacting the school district to see if the counsellors there have any advice about helping children overcome phobias. He sounds like he could be on the way to one if this isn't dealt with swiftly and delicately. I imagine this would involve explaining to him what a tornado is and making sure he's around next Tuesday at 10 AM when the usual monthly test of the alarms happens.

Could also be a possible fear of abadonment too. Reassure him that you'll always be there for him, even if you're not around (i.e., making sure teachers or other trusted adults are watching out for him when you're not).
Old 09-26-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

stay with him on the soccer field.
Old 09-26-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

buy him a kite and take him to the park. maybe he can learn that all wind isnt bad. maybe if he has fun in the wind it will change his mind.

what do i know...i am not a parent and my dog is afraid of the rain.
Old 09-26-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PrincessT
Block The Weather Channel from your remote

Hmmm, I don't know, but you might seriously consider contacting the school district to see if the counsellors there have any advice about helping children overcome phobias. He sounds like he could be on the way to one if this isn't dealt with swiftly and delicately. I imagine this would involve explaining to him what a tornado is and making sure he's around next Tuesday at 10 AM when the usual monthly test of the alarms happens.

Could also be a possible fear of abadonment too. Reassure him that you'll always be there for him, even if you're not around (i.e., making sure teachers or other trusted adults are watching out for him when you're not).
I think all of this is good advice. Good luck.
Old 09-26-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are demons in the wind. Little kids can see the demons because they have pure hearts, though it probably should be evil people that see the demons to scare them straight.

What I would do is kill the wind, the evil sinful wind. Guns, bombs, nails, and fire are all good things to used. So have the kid point out wind demons and you take them down unless you can see them also which I doubt. No pure hearted father would leave there kid to fight wind demons alone. However, here is your chance to correct the mistake.

Next week I will tell you the truth about the boogieman.
Old 09-26-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought this thread was flatulence related. Imagine my disappointment.

Old 09-26-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tell him if he doesn't go outside in the wind, you won't love him anymore.
Old 09-26-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unfortunately, it's too late for him now. You botched it, but good luck with your next child.
Old 09-26-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously, Heat... four year olds will get like this sometimes. Not something you need to worry too much about.

Show him how tornados actually form. Explain the difference between wind, hurricanes, tornadoes and storms. Teach him safety tips to follow if he sees a storm brewing -- he can look for dark clouds, lightning, etc.

If you need to give him a security blanket while he is young... yeah, kite flying is a good idea. Maybe read him a book about a happy kite... show him just how much fun the kite has in the wind, dancing and spinning around. Then you and he can go outside on a really windy day and pretend to be kites flying around in the wind.

Just make the wind fun. And don't worry too much -- his fear of the wind will slip away as he gets just a little bit older.
Old 09-26-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could use it to your advantage. Next time he starts acting up, just threaten to get the blow dryer out
Old 09-26-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, get a big commercial fan, and sneak into his room at night, point it him and turn it on high. Yell & scream for added effects, maybe throw a bag of confetti into the blades so it looks like the house is coming apart...and make sure you get it all with the camcorder, like that chainsaw vid..

dave
Old 09-26-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dave99
...like that chainsaw vid..

dave
I was just about to ask you if you had a link to that video. I saw it on Funniest Home Videos a few years ago, and didn't know it had found its way to the internet. Figured I'd google, and sure enough: Chainsaw Wakeup

Sorry to get OT, but it's hilarious.
Old 09-26-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Break out the DVDs of Twister and Wizard of Oz. Make sure what he thinks is a tornado is what he see's on the screen. Then ready the cellar since he'll never leave.
Old 09-26-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your son is just embarrased of your exhaust picture taking fetish.
Old 09-26-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xanager
I was just about to ask you if you had a link to that video. I saw it on Funniest Home Videos a few years ago, and didn't know it had found its way to the internet. Figured I'd google, and sure enough: Chainsaw Wakeup

Sorry to get OT, but it's hilarious.

That was the best video I have ever seen.
Old 09-26-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Combine education (talk to him about wind/tornados/etc), cognitive restructuring (rationale vs. irationale thoughts in regard to how likely a tornado would hit), and gradual desensitization (take him out in a storm with increasing windows, while also distancing yourself so eventually he can do it alone, and up to a moderate wind. This may take awhile, but if you do the other things, it should fall into line)

You can send my fee ($110) to my paypal.

-p