Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So, I may be admitted to the hospital with a blood clot....

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

So, I may be admitted to the hospital with a blood clot....

Old 01-17-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally Posted by AudioWizard
Do you get to keep the Rib???
Hey, that's a good idea: maybe you can trade that in for a wife, like Adam did?

Praying for you, Chris! Hang in there.
Old 01-17-06, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by AudioWizard
Do you get to keep the Rib???
I asked my doctor if I could keep the rib and he said that because of ethical reasons, no I couldn't.

I seriously wanted to keep it, drill a hole thru it and put it on a chain around my neck. Just think of the conversations that I could have started with that thing!

Chris
Old 01-17-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RandyC
Bad luck... would be finding out your doctor is The Edit King.
... or finding TEK hunched over your crotch with a straight-razor in one hand and a palm-full of shaving cream on the other.

Good luck to ya, `payroll
Old 01-17-06, 11:55 PM

Well, I'm off to bed now. I'll see all of you on the other side!

Signing off!

Chris
Old 01-20-06, 10:40 PM

So, everything went well. I'm in a little pain right now, but that will go away with time.

There was a sad story of an older lady, probably late 70's, early 80's who was sitting a couple of seats from me. She was going in for open heart surgery, but she didn't make it! I was probably the last person who saw her as they wheeled her away to the operating room. I was told that she had a lot of family members who rushed to the hospital when they found out that she didn't make it.

I have to say that the anesthesia that they gave me, kicked my ass. I was probably done around noon and they kept me in recovery for 4 hours, since they didn't have any open beds upstairs. I could not stay awake for the life of me, until around 6 pm. At least the day went pretty fast.

I had a real cool roommate a couple of years older than me, who only lives about 3 blocks away from me. I will probably visit him in a couple of weeks.

So now my next move is to probably have an angioplasty in my left chest area to see if they can totally remove the blood clot that I have had for over 8 years. If they can successfully fix that vein, then I would have the same first rib removal procedure for my left hand side.

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. No sign of THEEK though!

Chris
Old 01-20-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad to hear things went well. Good luck with the rest of the procedures.

Sorry to hear about the lady....
Old 01-20-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They told you they couldn't do both ribs at once because there would be too much pain? So how's the pain?
Old 01-20-06, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
They told you they couldn't do both ribs at once because there would be too much pain? So how's the pain?
I'm pretty much used to pain in my life, back, neck, etc. But I could see how having pain on both sides would make it hell to try to sleep for the first week or so.

But you see, my doctor changed his story when he told me that they would do the angioplasty first before they went ahead and removed my first rib on the left side, which makes sense to me. They have to save the vein first, before they can remove the rib to stop any further bloodclots. So I don't think he ever intended to remove both ribs first.

Chris
Old 03-10-10, 07:27 PM

Re: So, I may be admitted to the hospital with a blood clot....

Update to an old thread!

So 4 years later and my left arm (with the original blood clot still intact after more than 12 years) starts to hurt. On Monday night I awake with a terrible pain shooting down my left arm from the elbow to the wrist. I take 3 Aleve and try to get back to sleep.

At work, I'm in pain and I think about going to the doctor. But it seemed at that time that it was the muscle that was hurting so I decided to wait a little longer. After lunch my whole left arm starts to ache. It took me awhile to realize that this felt the same when my left arm swelled up in Nov of 1997 and my right arm in Sept of 2005.

So, I go to my primary care doctor and explain the situation. There really wasn't a lot of swelling, but my left hand is a lot colder than my right hand, plus my pulse is weaker than the right arm.

They decide to refer me to emergency. So I go to Glendale Adventist, which is where they operated to remove my 1st rib on my right side to stop the clotting. I'm admitted and taken to a bed at 6:30 pm. I didn't get out until almost 11 pm. Didn't get to eat until 9:30 pm. They did an ultrasound on me and of course my original clot is still there. But they believe that the 1st rib on my left side is causing more blockage than usual.

The vascular surgeon told me that he thinks my left 1st rib needs to be taken out. I told him that was what I had wanted way back in Jan of 2006, when they took out my right 1st rib, but he said they don't do it that way.

So now I have to go back to the doctor who did my surgery and I'm going to push to get this thing taken out of me. I can live with the regular swelling, numbness and tingling that my left arm has felt these last 12+ years, but I don't want to feel the pain and weakness that am I feeling now.

Plus, I may not have a job or insurance in the future and if this thing gets really bad, then I'm not going to be able to pay for it (or be in 200k debt for the rest of my life).

I'm keeping a positive outlook because I know that God will get me thru this one way or another.

Chris
Old 03-10-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: So, I may be admitted to the hospital with a blood clot....

I had ribs for dinner....!