Reload this Page >

Take a guess at the illness!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-26-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my mother is sick and went to the ER last weekend, but didn't get any resolution. She was ordered to bed rest, but went right back out in the semi. I don't live nearby, so I can't force her to seek medical treatment again--she won't even talk to me right now because she's so sick. Believe me, I'm sorely tempted to jump in the car and drive all day to go take her kicking and screaming, if she still has it in her. OK, here's the symptoms:

Month of horrible coughing and chest pains but no congestion (pneumonia was ruled out by hospital)
Pain below the ribs
White blood cells in urine (hospital found that last weekend)
Intense headache
Continued vomiting for the past weekend
Dark discharge (she is menopausal but said that is not normal for her)

I'm absolutely in awe that she hasn't gone back to the other hospital yet. But she never takes care of herself And she feels that the hospital in Evansville she visited was less than adequate. They kept asking if she'd been bitten by a spider or a tick. Plus all the doctors at that hospital were booked up and could not get a follow-up visit, so she went back to work. By the time she hit Terre Haute she was so sick she just stayed in the truck for 12 hours straight sweating out a fever. She was swaying and passing out when she turned in her paperwork in Evansville and they would not give her another load.

To me this sounds serious (and I feel so helpless), what do you guys think?
Old 09-26-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PrincessT
So my mother is sick and went to the ER last weekend, but didn't get any resolution. Believe me, I'm sorely tempted to jump in the car and drive all day to go take her kicking and screaming...
Do it. Or maybe call the local police dept. where she is and ask them to send medics over to her. Something needs to be done NOW.

Originally Posted by PrincessT
To me this sounds serious (and I feel so helpless), what do you guys think?
It sounds serious to me too. What difference does it make what *we* think? Your mother is in serious need of immediate medical care.
Old 09-26-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, such a light-hearted subject title and thread for something potentially serious.

Hospital. Now.
Old 09-26-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If she won't go to the hospital, I'd call 911 and tell them you have your mother, who "isn't all there", and that she's really sick and needs to go to the hospital. Lie if you have to, just get her to the hospital now.

Good luck to you and your mother.
Old 09-26-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did something more effective than call 911 for her--I called Grandmother. She talked sense into her. Mom's going for a follow-up with her doctor (bypassing ER--she claims her PPO will not cover a second visit if she goes there instead of to the doctor). Seems some of her recent symptoms (vomiting, fever) was attributed to a reaction from the cipro the ER doctor prescribed. They still haven't figured out what's wrong with her, which is still very worrisome. They're blasting her with some broad-spectrum medicine hoping that fixes what is wrong. This doesn't seem right to me, nor to her. She called her insurance company and got the names of 2 other in-network doctors to see if he can't come up with something concrete today.

Thanks for the well-wishes. I really hope they get this worked out today. I have a certain degree of sympathy with the medical people for not being able to diagnose her ailments, but I feel that they should have hospitalized her. And I feel even more strongly that she should NOT have gone back to work when she was told to rest. Bull-headed relatives can be trying... but more importantly, the whole family united as a whole should try to make sure she stays around quite a bit longer. It would be nice if she'd work with us a little more, instead of waiting until it seems like she's knocking on death's door to seek help. This isn't the first time.....
Old 09-26-05, 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=PrincessT] .... By the time she hit Terre Haute she was so sick she just stayed in the truck for 12 hours straight sweating out a fever.....QUOTE]

There's the problem. I'm born and raised in Terre Haute, and you have to be immune to the air here. If not, it causes symptoms like the ones your mom is experiencing (if you've ever been here you know what I'm talking about).

Of couse I'm joking, and I have no serious answer. I hope she gets to feeling better though!
Old 09-26-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope its something simple, maybe flu like, instead of cancerous or even gallstone related. Sending positive thoughts her way. Cant say I blame her much on the ER route. Most americans have no idea just how little ER can actually help you unless you fall in some very basic categories like physical accidents, heart trouble or pregancy. Outside of that, I never found them remotely helpful, actually even dangerous as times.
Old 09-26-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beencrazier
There's the problem. I'm born and raised in Terre Haute, and you have to be immune to the air here. If not, it causes symptoms like the ones your mom is experiencing (if you've ever been here you know what I'm talking about).
I worked in TH for 7 years, and been to/through the town more times than I care to count, so I know exactly what you're talking about. In fact, I drove right by the odor sources every day on my way to work. Quite a smorgasbord of foulness.

Seriously, I hope you're mom's going to be ok, Princess. My mom went through a blood problem a few years ago, but didn't have quite the same symptoms your mom does. Her platelets were dangerously low, and giving her more/doing transfusions never did the trick, so they finally took her spleen out.

Are you at Union or Regional?
Old 09-26-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You may be right about the dangerous at times part. When she said white blood cells in her urine I was freaking for sure, wondering if it was cancer (she is a smoker, not heavy, but off and on all of her adult life). Thank you for the many positive thoughts towards her! Can't wait until she moves back home. She has more trust in the skill of the doctors up here too. I think that's a lot of her problem with going to them in KY. Maybe she's afraid they'll screw up and make her worse, or even kill her. I know it's not logical (8 years med school, yeah yeah) but she has her preconceptions that have been proven right a few too many times.