Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Moving out and need some advice.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-25-05, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I rented a basement suite in April of this year from a recently divorced 40s male. He just bought the house (he is a real estate agent) and lived upstairs and rented the basement suite to us for $600 a month with a $500 damage deposit including all utilites (gas, electric, water, cable, internet).

The basement suite was totally renovated right before we moved in and everything was new. We loved our new place and took very good care of it. I would go out of my way to do things like putting in a new handle on the screen door because the other on was busted and anything else I could do that needed repair. When we moved in he told us he would get a cover for one of the lights in the living room and a cover for the fan in the bathroom but never did do either (not a big deal at all).

We paid rent on time every month and didn't have any problems with him until about 2 months ago when the internet got shut off due to him not paying the bill. I was a bit ticked that we were without the internet for a week before he finally paid to get it turned back on, but whatever it was just the internet. About a week after this incident I was checking the mail (we shared the same mailbox) and noticed a card from the gas company saying they shut off the gas and he needed to call to restore it. I left the card in the mailbox and went out for a bit when I got home he told me about the situation and said he doesn't have any money to pay to get it turned back on and that he was waiting for a bunch of houses to finialize before he would get some money. He kinda beat around the bush and I finally offered to pay him rent one week early so he could get the gas turned back on, he told me the bill was $675, which tells me he hadn't paid it since he moved in. I was very pissed about not having hot water but it got turned back on the next day.

Finally almost a month ago we got home from shopping and had a message from him on our phone to call him as it was urgent. I called him and he basically said he was in a lot of money problems and his house was going to be soon going into foreclosure unless he did something about it. His only option was to move into the basement suite and rent the upstairs to someone for $875 a month. We had no choice but to move back into my wife's parents house for the time being. We told me he did not have the $500 damage deposit to give to us but he said we could stay in the basement suite for free for the month of September.

Now finally onto the problem. We started packing things this past week and I went to remove some wall ornaments off the wall and couldn't get them off as my wife used some sort of sticky tape (and lots of it). I had to pry them off but no matter how careful I was it ripped the paint off the wall in the spots where they tape was. So we had about 16 holes about the size of a silver dollar on this wall. We got my wife's dad to putty the spots but it now needs sanding and painted. We got everything out of the house today and have nothing left in there. The rest of the house is in perfect shape. Should we go ahead and finish fixing the wall or just say fuck it and drop his keys in the mailbox and be done with it. We don't need him as a reference in the future if anyone wants to know.
Old 09-25-05, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh yeah, screw that shit. Just drop off the keys and get out of that situation.
Old 09-25-05, 05:39 AM

I wouldn't worry about it, he'll be living there so he can fix it. Internet and gas being shut off are pretty big inconveniences, repaiting one wall (since you already patched it) isn't a big deal. Odds are the $875/month won't be enough to pay the mortgage and utilities, so the place will probably still go into foreclosure.

I would ask if you have a lease, but if the bank takes the house you'd have to go anyway, so the free month is good as the situation can get.

When you move out, leave poop in the toilet. Or a roll of toilet paper with three squares left.
Old 09-25-05, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is he working for Hollywood Video on the weekends or something and then moonlighting as a Realtor? I'm confused why he can't make payments since he's a real estate agent. He must have extended himself so far, even God can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 09-25-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The basement suite was totally renovated right before we moved in and everything was new.
I think that you've some degree of duty to leave it in the same condition it was in when you accepted the place (albeit not counting normal wear and tear).

While you have your deposit back (by way of free rent in Sept) and you don't need a reference, I'd think you do have a moral obligation to fix the problems you and your wife created.

Just my 2c for what it's worth.
Old 09-25-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Is he working for Hollywood Video on the weekends or something and then moonlighting as a Realtor? I'm confused why he can't make payments since he's a real estate agent. He must have extended himself so far, even God can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Anybody can be a realtor (look at kvrdave). To be a good one is a different story.
Old 09-25-05, 02:39 PM

He was off work for an entire month in June while his kids were out of school, I think that may have had something to do with it. He just got a second job but im not sure where at and he is selling his car.
Old 09-25-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by naughty jonny
I think that you've some degree of duty to leave it in the same condition it was in when you accepted the place (albeit not counting normal wear and tear).

While you have your deposit back (by way of free rent in Sept) and you don't need a reference, I'd think you do have a moral obligation to fix the problems you and your wife created.

Just my 2c for what it's worth.
No. He doesn't. My advice is to get the arrangements for September in writing, just in case.

Legally, at least in California, he has 21 days from the time you vacate the premises to give you a full accounting of the money spent to make any repairs (or to clean), and to give you the balance left on the deposit. If you don't get anything, take the bastard to court. If you have something in writing that states you can have the place for free in September, then he can't go after you for cost of normal wear and tear.

Fuck the guy. It isn't your fault he's in financial dire straits, but it is his fault that nothing got paid according to the rental contract. Frankly, I don't have any sympathy for landlords. At all. Yeah, they get their share of crap tenants, but they invariably screw the good ones in some way.
Old 09-25-05, 05:23 PM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by mllefoo
Legally, at least in California, he has 21 days from the time you vacate the premises to give you a full accounting of the money spent to make any repairs (or to clean), and to give you the balance left on the deposit. If you don't get anything, take the bastard to court.
The guy doesn't have any money! Sure, you can get a judgement against him, but all it will do is cost the OP the court and filing fees. If the guy is losing his house and selling his car, having another judgement against him will be like a headache to a drowning man. You can't collect money he doesn't have.
Old 09-25-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I sure hope you have that September free rent deal in writing.
Old 09-25-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what I asked.

If you don't have it in writing, it WILL come back and bite you in the ass.

I've been janked by landlords before. I know their wiley ways.
Old 09-25-05, 07:03 PM

I dont have the free month in writing but we also never signed a contract or anything. I remember when we moved in we filled out an application but that was all.
Old 09-25-05, 07:16 PM

Wow, it's worse than he said (or you posted originally). A real estate agent will have a very hard time selling anything without a car!!
Old 09-25-05, 07:31 PM
Suspended

Location: Now in the Mojave desert...but still, thankfully, outside Los Angeles
Originally Posted by thenetstud
I dont have the free month in writing but we also never signed a contract or anything. I remember when we moved in we filled out an application but that was all.
Don't sweat it. He cannot do anything bad to you. The Landlord-Tenant Act in Sask is basically the same as in Manitoba. Your deposit should have been placed in a separate interest-bearing account...which it wasn't, since he didn't have it when you asked about it.

If he wants to make waves, he will have to explain why he spent it. Additionally, he has a problem vis. seemingly not knowing the provisions of the Landlord-Tenant Act while being a real estate agent...which he probably won't be if he says he spent it. The provincial association will lift his license and likely investigate the firm that hired him.
Old 09-25-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As others have said, I seriously doubt this guy would try anything. He has more important problems. In fact, he should be the one concerned about a legal complaint.