Reload this Page >

"Would you care for more nacho?"

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 09-06-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I take the fam out to dinner to celebrate some things tonight, and we go to the local Mexican restaurant called the Hacienda. Melba and I order the usual, my stepdaughter gets her usual (chicken fingers EVERYwhere she goes), and my 8 year-old stepson orders nachos.

OK - nachoS. Plural. Yeah, I guess more than one nacho qualifies as nachoS. My stepson's plate contained 4 "nachos". Four. It was a small soft taco tortilla cut into 4 pieces with some melted cheddar sprinkled on top. No lie. Four.

So I say something to the waiter and he gets his manager. The manager comes over and explains that this is the normal "serving" of nacho. I point to the plate and say "it's four chips with some cheese melted on it!" He agrees, and reiterates the same thing but says he’ll bring more nachos. So when he returns, it’s FOUR MORE NACHO. Wow. Thanks, dude. Perhaps we should just donate this to the hurricane relief fund. I’m sure someone’s gerbil is running around hungry somewhere.

So when I get the bill, surely we’d be credited for this embarrassing entrée, right? Nope - $3.59 for the nacho(s). The waiter knew we were irked over the fiasco, yet never even apologized for it. Maybe Ashton Kutcher was hiding in the back room but we left before he could spring the punch line on us. The rest of us had leftovers to bring home (including my stepdaughter’s chicken fingers and fries). My stepson was almost embarrassed to tell us he was still hungry after downing his whopping 8 “nachos.” Needless to say, I left no tip along with a note on the back of the receipt that we would not return over the laughable nacho they tried to pass off as a meal.

Beware the child-size nachos, my friends. Beware.
Old 09-06-05, 10:51 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Had to check twice to make sure that wasn't a THEEK post.

Seriously though, it sounded more like a tiny one-sided quesadilla than "nachos".
Old 09-06-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mui Es Nacho!
Old 09-06-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shoot, around here we get baskets of nachos and bowl of salsa for free and then we can order the melted white cheese sauce to dip them in.
Old 09-06-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We got the baskets of chips and salsa before we even ordered. We downed more of those than his entire $4 "meal". And yes, I guess it was pretty much a jr. mini quesadilla. Very sad. I can go to Wendy's and get their chilli chips & cheese for 99 cents and it was at least 5 times as much food as this place tried to pass off.
Old 09-06-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 281 Likes on 202 Posts

Old 09-06-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Your family should have gone to Taco Bell.

I can't believe I said that.
Old 09-06-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I assume it was supposed to be an appetizer, but still that's pretty weak. When I go to a mexican restaurant and order nachos, I'm expecting a big plate of tortilla chips with motzarella and cheddar cheese all over them and maybe some beans or beef/chicken on top. I think it's natural not to expect a flour tortilla cut into quaters with some cheese on it, or at least it's not down here in Texas/Southern Oklahoma. That wouldn't fly down here, that's for sure.
Old 09-06-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I assume it was supposed to be an appetizer....
Nope - right off the kids' menu (12 and under). Apparently they've never seen a 12 year old eat. Or an 8 year old.
Old 09-07-05, 12:19 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
hey, so what do you call cheese that doesn't belong to you?
Old 09-07-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 281 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by HN
hey, so what do you call cheese that doesn't belong to you?
Jack?
Old 09-07-05, 12:21 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Jack?
Nacho cheese! say it fast...gangsta rap style.
Old 09-07-05, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's hard to find a place that makes really good nachos these days.
Old 09-07-05, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to a mexican restaurant last week, and this is a place where it's sit down, yet fast food. So they actually charge for chips and salsa.

I ordered the tacos, and sat to wait. There were 4 people across from me, a dad, 2 teenage sons (14-16), and a pre teen (11-12) daughter.

When they got their food, the sons and dad got huge plates. The girl got this little 6 inch plate with a few chips, cheese, salsa.

One of the sons says something to the guy who delivered the food, and hands the guy a couple of bucks. A couple minutes later, the guy brings another one of these chip/cheese things.

I get curious, and I'm still hungry, no food for me yet. I walk up to the front and ask what it was they got at the other table and how much... Guy says, "Oh, kids' nachos, $2.59"

Forget it!

The 'adult' nachos is like 12 times the size, plus beans, olives, peppers, tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, meat. $6!

They left when I was about half done. The one son who ordered a regular plate plus said nachos ate everything. His sister didn't finish hers. Dad finished.
Old 09-07-05, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JP5683
They left when I was about half done. The one son who ordered a regular plate plus said nachos ate everything. His sister didn't finish hers. Dad finished.
You fool! Instead of ordering your food, you should have waited until they finished eating and ate what they left behind Zoidberg-style.
Old 09-07-05, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While the 'nacho's' may have not been adequate, it was wrong of you not to tip the waiter unless you recieved extremely sub-par service... he doesn't make the menu. Your issue was with the owner/manager.
Old 09-07-05, 06:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SleepyW
So I take the fam out to dinner to celebrate some things tonight, and we go to the local Mexican restaurant...
There's your first mistake. Local, privately owned, Mexican restauants are never good. Never. Anybody who says different is a liar or they own a Mexican restaurant.

Melba and I order the usual, my stepdaughter gets her usual (chicken fingers EVERYwhere she goes), and my 8 year-old stepson orders nachos.
Second mistake: Letting the kids order from the appetizer menu or the kids menu (same thing). I mean, chicken fingers and nachos? Dude, teach those kids that when you're eating out, you gotta eat something that you can't make at home in like 5 minutes. Yeah, kids, right, I get it, but at least have them get enchiladas or something. It doesn't matter if they don't finish it all... it's a restaurant. They're used to that.

I just can't really envision getting nachos at a restaurant as a meal. Not even for an 8 YO. As an appetizer, sure. Your kid was still hungry because he ordered nachos, not because they didn't bring him enough nachos. Even if they brought him a full tray of nachos, you're basically letting the kid have chips and cheese as a meal. Get the kid some meat for crying out loud. Kids gotta grow.

The waiter knew we were irked over the fiasco, yet never even apologized for it.
Of course he didn't. If you're cheap enough to eat appetizers as a meal, he knew he wasn't getting any tip.
Old 09-07-05, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

you went out for Mexican food with the family to celebrate some things and you didn't take them to Casa Bonita?

Old 09-07-05, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Otto
There's your first mistake. Local, privately owned, Mexican restauants are never good. Never. Anybody who says different is a liar or they own a Mexican restaurant.
The state of mexican restaurants must be quite sad in your neck of the woods for you to make such a bold, sweeping, and inaccurate statement.
Old 09-07-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I want to hear the manager's side of the story.....

Old 09-07-05, 08:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
The state of mexican restaurants must be quite sad in your neck of the woods for you to make such a bold, sweeping, and inaccurate statement.
Actually, I've noticed that the closer you get to Mexico, the worse they are. Mexican places in Texas really tend to suck. They're pretty bad all over the South, actually. The chain places are usually better. And no, I don't mean Taco Hell. I don't even consider that to be "food".

But head up north and they're not too bad. There's a few places in Detroit and Chicago that I found to be quite good. I think the secret here is that they're not run by Mexicans, so they don't know what "real" Mexican food normally tastes like.

And yes, Mexican food in Mexico is truly terrible. Been there many times. They can do a burger okay though.

Last edited by Otto; 09-07-05 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-07-05, 08:50 AM

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by RoyalTea
you went out for Mexican food with the family to celebrate some things and you didn't take them to Casa Bonita?
I think that sub-par nachos are a small price to pay if you can avoid having your family shot at while walking from your car into the restaurant.
Old 09-07-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I think that sub-par nachos are a small price to pay if you can avoid having your family shot at while walking from your car into the restaurant.
I don't know. I'd put my family at risk for cliff divers, Black Bart's Cave and sopapillas.
Old 09-07-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually, I've noticed that the closer you get to Mexico, the worse they are. Mexican places in Texas really tend to suck. They're pretty bad all over the South, actually. The chain places are usually better. And no, I don't mean Taco Hell. I don't even consider that to be "food".
I live in the south, TN in fact, and there are several great local Mexican restaurants close by. It sounds like you just really don't care for Mexican food in general.
Old 09-07-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have no clue what you're talking about.

Second mistake: Letting the kids order from the appetizer menu or the kids menu (same thing). I mean, chicken fingers and nachos? Dude, teach those kids that when you're eating out, you gotta eat something that you can't make at home in like 5 minutes. Yeah, kids, right, I get it, but at least have them get enchiladas or something. It doesn't matter if they don't finish it all... it's a restaurant. They're used to that.
You don't have kids, do you? If you do, I'm sure they appreciate your Nazi-style-ordering technique when going out to celebrate something good they did. "Let's go out and eat! BTW - you HAVE to order what I tell you."

I just can't really envision getting nachos at a restaurant as a meal. Not even for an 8 YO.
Good for you. Congrats on your superior level of standards.

Of course he didn't. If you're cheap enough to eat appetizers as a meal, he knew he wasn't getting any tip.
Ummm...yeah...okay. You deduce that I am "cheap" because I allowed my 8 year old stepson to order nachos as a reward. Thanks for the advice, Columbo.

So is "Otto" short for "Ottomatically makes retarded assumptions"?

Last edited by SleepyW; 09-07-05 at 09:59 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.