ONE AND ONLY Hurricane Katrina thread pt2 [merged]

Other Talk "Otterville"

ONE AND ONLY Hurricane Katrina thread pt2 [merged]

Old 08-31-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well...

3 news articles for your enjoyment.

<a href = http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002456671_katrinagrowth30.html'>Storm's power, rapid growth attributed to depth of warm water in Gulf of Mexico</a>
Really? That really separates Katrina from the other storms that centered in the Gulf and faded away. Oh wait. That never happens.

<a href = 'http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/tm_objectid=15913303&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=why-katrina-happened-name_page.html'>Why Katrina happened</a>
Katrina's track convinced us it coule (sic) be the worst catastrophe to be caused by global warming so far."

But, and most importantly:

<a href = 'http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_2726495.shtml'>Lucy Lawless Grateful to Make it Out of Katrina's Path</a>
Yep, the Warrior Princess escaped NO where she had been filming and is safely in Baton Rouge.

I rang the producer and said, 'Let's get out of here. This is crazy,'" she recounts. Initially, Lucy planned to get to Los Angeles. Realizing that had become impossible, "We lowered our sites and thought we'd get to Houston."
Ms. Lawless would be suprised to learn that she is the 9,239th person in history to utter that last sentence.

The former "Xena: Warrior Princess" star actually had several offers for private homes in which to stay...
She turned me down...
Old 08-31-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Remember! Be like (some of the) other people who posted in in this thread!

If the skin is dark, they are looting. If the skin is light, they are finding.
looks like those two photos (and most likely the captions) came from two different sources.
Old 08-31-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We should all hope and pray that no celebrities were hurt, or even inconvenienced, by this disaster.
Old 08-31-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
fuckers
http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakin...08.html#075290

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Children's Hospital under siege
Tuesday, 11:45 p.m.

Late Tuesday, Gov. Blanco spokeswoman Denise Bottcher described a disturbing scene unfolding in uptown New Orleans, where looters were trying to break into Children's Hospital.

Bottcher said the director of the hospital fears for the safety of the staff and the 100 kids inside the hospital. The director said the hospital is locked, but that the looters were trying to break in and had gathered outside the facility.

The director has sought help from the police, but, due to rising flood waters, police have not been able to respond.

Bottcher said Blanco has been told of the situation and has informed the National Guard. However, Bottcher said, the National Guard has also been unable to respond.
Old 08-31-05, 10:58 AM

Just to expand on what Sdallnct reported!

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houst...9/daily20.html

Houston Business Journal - 10:39 AM CDT Wednesday

Astrodome to house Katrina escapees

A bus convoy will start bringing at least 25,000 of Hurricane Katrina's displaced victims, the majority of them from the New Orleans Superdome, on Wednesday to be sheltered at Houston's Astrodome, according to an Associated Press report.

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco has said she wanted the Superdome -- which had become a shelter of last resort for about 20,000 people -- evacuated within two days, along with other gathering points for storm refugees. Hurricane Katrina hit the Superdome with enough force to rip holes in the facility's roof and leave the Superdome with rising water, broken toilets and broken air conditioning.

Rusty Cornelius, administrative coordinator for the Harris County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, told AP that initial plans were being made to bring the displaced residents to Houston early Wednesday.

"We are planning on being able to do a full shelter operation for 25,000 people," Cornelius said.

He said the refugees would be bused to Houston, but all would not necessarily be on the road at the same time. Specifics of the transport and housing were still being worked out with the Red Cross and state government officials, Cornelius said.

The 40-year-old Astrodome hasn't been used for professional sporting events in several years.

The Astrodome -- which opened in 1965, 10 years before the Superdome in New Orleans -- is located in Reliant Park, which is also home to Reliant Stadium, the Houston Texans' newly constructed home.

Chris
Old 08-31-05, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
All they need is a couple of SWAT snipers in a Coast Guard helicopter to zoom by the place, take out a couple of the looters and the rest will run away like scared dogs.

Chris
Old 08-31-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/12517707.htm - I think the only reason why the death toll was so much larger over there than here was the amount of warning time.

imagine if the people on the gulf coast had no idea that a hurricane was going to hit, and the people of Thailand and Sri Lanka had 48 hours leadtime.
You're right: I'm sure the death toll in Southeast Asia was much larger because no one had time to prepare. That said, doesn't that make the mayor's statement even more inappropriate?

I understand the physical devestation in the south is horrendous, maybe even worse than what occurred in Southeast Asia (according to that article), but the deaths of around a quarter of a million people in Asia are simply worse than---and I'll throw out what seems to be a huge overestimate right now---5,000 Americans.

This isn't to downplay the deaths of my fellow Americans or the economic devestation. I'm merely saying that I think the mayor's comment was a little absurd.

Last edited by Corvin; 08-31-05 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-31-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 775 Likes on 501 Posts
No one has said how are they getting the buses to (and from) the Superdome?

If there is a clear path, why aren't people hoofing it out of there already?
Old 08-31-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can anyone in Houston answer: When they "renovated" the dome after Reliant was built, did they keep the locker rooms? I realize you don't need showers for Monster Truck rallies. I guess they could use the Reliant facilities on a scheduled basis.

If Houston decides to open the whole shebang up, including Astroworld across the road for the displaced kids, even if the Texans miss a home game or so, I would have no problem with that.

Those buses are going to smell like the bus trip I took in Mexico that one time.

But at least every one of them is alive.
Old 08-31-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"looter"
http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/480/ladm10208301530

"finder"
http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/p...hxwaoma_photo1

One of these things is not like the other...

D
Old 08-31-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Derrich
One of these things is not like the other...

D
and both were posted 10 posts above yours.
Old 08-31-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Derrich
<a href = 'http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/member.php?u=34037'>Non-thread-reader</a>.

(see 10 posts ago, the last post on the previous page)

Oh... errrrr.... Nevermind!

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 08-31-05 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-31-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

looks like those two photos (and most likely the captions) came from two different sources.
They did.

It doesn't make it ok, though

What is AFP? I never heard of it before. I thought everything was AP, UPI, or Reuters for the most part. *edit* Apparently it's Agence France-Presse, the oldest news service in the world. Hmmm - learn something new every day.

Last edited by nevermind; 08-31-05 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-31-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nevermind
They did.

It doesn't make it ok, though
if you can find a picture from the AP where a white person is referred to as a "finder" and/or a picture from the AFP where a black person is referred to as a "looter," then you'd have a point. Otherwise, you're just making an issue out of nothing.
Old 08-31-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To the person who described Homestead as "one of the fastest growing cities in America"...

bullshit.

In 1992 and before, Homestead was a bustling community where almsot EVERYONE worked for the Air Force Base in the area. After the hurricane flattened everything in the area (including my family's business, which was located on the main road of Homestead at the time), the government decided to downgrade the base to a "reserve" base, thus killing many of the jobs in the area and now the entire city is a slum in my opinion. It's NEVER come back to what it was back before the hurricane and I don't know one person who was there back during the hurricane who hasn't moved up north to Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

I really think there's really no hope for New Orleans' culture surviving outside of themed restaurants after this... building a city under sea level and on the ocean: never a good idea.
Old 08-31-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RobLutter
To the person who described Homestead as "one of the fastest growing cities in America"...

bullshit.

In 1992 and before, Homestead was a bustling community where almsot EVERYONE worked for the Air Force Base in the area. After the hurricane flattened everything in the area (including my family's business, which was located on the main road of Homestead at the time), the government decided to downgrade the base to a "reserve" base, thus killing many of the jobs in the area and now the entire city is a slum in my opinion. It's NEVER come back to what it was back before the hurricane and I don't know one person who was there back during the hurricane who hasn't moved up north to Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

I really think there's really no hope for New Orleans' culture surviving outside of themed restaurants after this... building a city under sea level and on the ocean: never a good idea.

I called it one of the fastest growing cities in Florida, not America. And it is. It's pretty much the fastest growing real estate market in South Florida, and there is a TON of development going on there right now. There's been plenty of articles to this effect in the Sun-Sentinel and Herald recently.

And the city is far less of a slum than it used to be.
Old 08-31-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

if you can find a picture from the AP where a white person is referred to as a "finder" and/or a picture from the AFP where a black person is referred to as a "looter," then you'd have a point. Otherwise, you're just making an issue out of nothing.
I think I didn't post how I meant. I just found it odd that the word "finder" was used at all when every other news source calls them looters (black or white). That's why I continued my post about "what is AFP?"

But since you asked:

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/even...VvBHNlYwNzc20-

Last edited by nevermind; 08-31-05 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-31-05, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by mllefoo
Except that the people were told to get the fuck out by several agencies including the governor, the President and the Mayor of Nawlins. THEY made the choice to stay. The animals did not.

That is why I'd worry about the critters. They're the innocent victims. Them and the children of the stupid people who stayed behind in spite of seeing this Day After Tomorrow-sized hurricane bearing down on a city that is BELOW sea level.

Sorry, but I really don't feel all that sorry for folks trapped on their roofs. They had a lot of time to get their shit together and get out.
They're fucking animals. People > animals. Jesus Christ.
Old 08-31-05, 11:57 AM
Admin

Received 367 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by RobLutter

bullshit.

I drove through Homestead and Florida City recently. There is suburban housing exploding in that area. Any piece of available land, they are building on it.
Old 08-31-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The World is Square
You're very slow.

And there are a lot of people helping people right now. Someone's got to help the animals. They did not ask to be put in cages and prevented from escaping. And lots of people in tragedies like this do inexplicable things like tie their dog to a washing machine or put their cats in carrying cases and leave them in their houses. It makes no sense and it's up to groups like the Humane Society and Noah's Wish to go door to door and try to locate them. It's a terrible situation.
Old 08-31-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Clearly you don't have an agenda.
Old 08-31-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm I don't see any cats and dogs looting stores for jeans and sneakers. So I'm going to have to say animals > people. At least the animals will still have some dignity when this is over. Not that is appears these worthless humans had any to begin with.
Old 08-31-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He's obviously a troll. There's no question that someone needs to be helping the animals displaced by this. Wild animals will need to be returned to their habitats (I saw a photo of a dolphin that somehow landed in a swimming pool) and pets will need to be rescued from evacuated areas. It's clear that this is true. Ask the most grizzled firefighter if he'd rush into a burning building to save a dog and 9 out of 10 will answer yes without thinking about it. They understand and so will the rescuers who will put their lives at risk in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama to help the animal victims of this.
Old 08-31-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fox just had a guy from the Army Corps of Engineers on and he was talking about the lack of communication and indicated that along with cell service, that satellite phones were not working.
Why would satellite phones not be working? Other then the battery crapping out shouldn't a satellite phone work just about anywhere?
Old 08-31-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
He's obviously a troll.

Ask the most grizzled firefighter if he'd rush into a burning building to save a dog and 9 out of 10 will answer yes without thinking about it. They understand and so will the rescuers who will put their lives at risk in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama to help the animal victims of this.
Not to be trollish, but if the building was starting to fail, and there was a dog to the left, and a human to the right, I don't think they would go to the left "because animals > humans", or even go 50%/50%.

But I agree that people should do everything they can for humans and animals.

Except the gators holding people hostage in their cars.

Human looters of electronics
Gator carjackers

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.