Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

ONE AND ONLY Hurricane Katrina thread pt2 [merged]

Other Talk "Otterville"

ONE AND ONLY Hurricane Katrina thread pt2 [merged]

Old 09-01-05, 08:42 AM
  #401  
DVD Talk Legend
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Illinoyze
Posts: 10,513
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's some video of when Katrina hit Gulfport, MS. A couple of idiots stayed to film it.


http://www.msnbc.msn.com/default.cdn...splaymode/1157
nevermind is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 08:44 AM
  #402  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Work. Or commuting. Certainly not at home.
Posts: 17,816
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
I heard reports that in some places it was rising a foot/minute.

bfrank - Yes, they knew it was coming, but they had no idea that it would have this kind of result. You never know w/ a natural disaster until after the fact.
They've known for years that this was the exact result that would happen. Look at the nola.com website or that Scientific American article linked earlier in this thread. They describe to a T this exact scenario.
wildcatlh is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 08:46 AM
  #403  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 2nd City
Posts: 1,269
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The National Guard should have a "shoot to kill" order for anyone hindering rescue efforts. "Morans", indeed! Shooting at helicopters? WTF?!?!
SMB-IL is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 08:48 AM
  #404  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dadaluholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wilmington, OH
Posts: 5,491
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This whole thing is a few days from turning into a freaking zombie movie.
dadaluholla is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 08:51 AM
  #405  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,196
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
This whole thing is a few days from turning into a freaking zombie movie.

Wrong reference... from here it looks like they're all infected w/ RAGE!!!
nemein is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 08:52 AM
  #406  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 23,258
Received 631 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Well, let me be the first to say it...

You were warned to leave, so if your still in the area, with no water or canned food supplies, or batteries for a transistor, or escape plan of any kind, and you live in hurricane regions, with a CAT F'ING 5 hurricane coming your way and your bitching that people are spending thier time RESCUING FAMILIES OFF THIER ROOFS IN 10 FEET OF WATER...your an asshole.

Fucking hell, they even reported on the news that soo many people were cauht off guard by the flood because they had no portable radio with batteries to let them know the levy broke.

What Im seeing is the culmination of years of entitlements leading to the ULTIMATE welfare mentality...

..I DO NOT HAVE TO HEED WARNINGS OR USE COMMON SENCE, I DO NOT NEED TO ENSURE MY OWN SAFETY AND SURVIVAL, I JUST NEED TO SIT HERE AND WAIT FOR DADDY GOVERNMENT TO SAVE ME.

Give this crap another few days of looting and violence, and watch the national opinion turn.
The people that are doing the looting (other than food) and shooting at helicopters and all that are just thugs that are using the hurricane as an excuse to score some free stuff and do whatever they feel like. Sort of like Rodney King when riots erupted here in L.A. Half the people didn't even know why they were rioting, all they knew is the police weren't able to stop them so, and I quote "I gotta gets me a TV". These are folks that have a mentality that they are "owed" something from the same government who has been giving to them probably since the day they were born. Pretty sad. And i've got to say - from the footage i've seen on TV .. the people looting the non-food stores and causing the problems have all been the same color.
General Zod is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 08:55 AM
  #407  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Formerly known as "brizz"/kck
Posts: 23,427
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
News report after news report of people bitching
"I want help and I want it now!"
Ain't Americans great?

In all honesty, I think how this keeps getting worse says volumes about the fractures in our society today, and how fucking selfish we've become on a whole. It's depressing as shit.
HistoryProf is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 08:59 AM
  #408  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just can't understand why people who had the means to leave didn't leave.

I can understand living in a hurricane prone area and getting warnings like this all the time and things are never as bad as they seem, but the NWS mentioned "CERTAIN DEATH" in their warnings the day before the storm hit.

I'll bet the people in Sri Lanka and Thailand would have loved to have had the advance notice that the people on the Gulf Coast had.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:02 AM
  #409  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 23,258
Received 631 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by brizz
Ain't Americans great?

In all honesty, I think how this keeps getting worse says volumes about the fractures in our society today, and how fucking selfish we've become on a whole. It's depressing as shit.
I don't think the people that are causing all these problems are representative of America. I'm not going to accept blame for a bunch of idiots looting and shooting that don't know how to react in a civilized manner when times are tough. I don't think you or I would go around shooting at rescue people. ALl i'm saying is I think it's unfair to start blaming America as a whole for this.
General Zod is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:08 AM
  #410  
DVD Talk Hero
 
B.A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 34,567
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by WildcatLH
They've known for years that this was the exact result that would happen. Look at the nola.com website or that Scientific American article linked earlier in this thread. They describe to a T this exact scenario.
It was the worst case scenario - it had never happened - and complacency sets in because of that.
B.A. is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:11 AM
  #411  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Formerly known as "brizz"/kck
Posts: 23,427
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by General Zod
I don't think the people that are causing all these problems are representative of America. I'm not going to accept blame for a bunch of idiots looting and shooting that don't know how to react in a civilized manner when times are tough. I don't think you or I would go around shooting at rescue people. ALl i'm saying is I think it's unfair to start blaming America as a whole for this.
I'm not blaming America as a whole, but I am saying it is definately redolent of a systemic societal problem in this country...we bitch about selfish drivers, cell phone talkers, etc....this is all that amplified by a thousand. I want out and I want it NOW!!! Well people, you had the opportunity to leave, and you aren't the only person stranded.
HistoryProf is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:12 AM
  #412  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,789
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fox News says that a National Guardsman was hit by the gunfire at the choppers.

I'm kidding when I say this, but seriously... napalm.
lotsofdvds is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:14 AM
  #413  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 61,014
Received 900 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by brizz
Ain't Americans great?

In all honesty, I think how this keeps getting worse says volumes about the fractures in our society today, and how fucking selfish we've become on a whole. It's depressing as shit.

Huh? I thought you were a big liberal? Isn't this what it's all about? Helping those in need? Being there for the "the little guy"? Funny how you're so ready to give them the finger when they actually need -real help- beyond welfare, foodstamp, and cheese.

I mean isn't this what the Gov is for? To help when disasters happen? Besides, they're desperate and going off of generations of Socialist ideas being pounded into their heads that say, "You can't do for yourself, the Gov is here for you because you can't do it on your own".


As far as them not leaving, I can see your point. But then again, by that way of thinking most of Florida should be evacuated because they seem to get fucked by storms almost every 6 months.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:16 AM
  #414  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Gil Jawetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: I was here but I disappear
Posts: 8,407
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the loop of footage that CNN shows over and over there are a few shots of white people looting. FYI. I think making racial statements is ridiculous. New Orleans is 70% black and largely poor. The people with cars and money for gas/hotels must have been predominantly white. That means of the people who were left behind the overwhelming number were black and poor. And of those people you will see the full spectrum, from the best to the worst.

That said, the people shooting at helicopters must be shot on sight. And anyone with a gun needs to be given one warning over a bullhorn before being shot. The problem is, if you start shooting you need to expect return fire and then it's all out war.
Gil Jawetz is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:21 AM
  #415  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,767
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Fox News says that a National Guardsman was hit by the gunfire at the choppers.

I'm kidding when I say this, but seriously... napalm.

geez... man that is harsh....

i say arrest them and send them to iraq...
raven56706 is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:21 AM
  #416  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,754
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Have you ever been to New Orleans? I thought it was the shadiest, scummiest place I ever saw, and I live in The Bronx
Yeppers. I think some don't understand the area. It's a shithole. A shitdump. Economically destituted wart on the side of a pig's ass. Sorry to offend those who live there, but that's what I came to understand it as. In fact, it reminded me of Somalia if you've ever been off the major tourist attraction routes.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:22 AM
  #417  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 61,014
Received 900 Likes on 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Let me be the first to say that Im starting to get really fed up with some of these people.

News report after news report of people bitching
"I want help and I want it now!"

With some broad screaming that she wants FEMA to get her a trailer to live in TODAY!
BTW...she was in Biloxi, on dry land, and thought the place where she was told she could get food and water was too far to walk.

Another guy, a diabetic was pissed that no one was bringing him any insulin.

Well, let me be the first to say it...

You were warned to leave, so if your still in the area, with no water or canned food supplies, or batteries for a transistor, or escape plan of any kind, and you live in hurricane regions, with a CAT F'ING 5 hurricane coming your way and your bitching that people are spending thier time RESCUING FAMILIES OFF THIER ROOFS IN 10 FEET OF WATER...your an asshole.

Fucking hell, they even reported on the news that soo many people were cauht off guard by the flood because they had no portable radio with batteries to let them know the levy broke.

What Im seeing is the culmination of years of entitlements leading to the ULTIMATE welfare mentality...

..I DO NOT HAVE TO HEED WARNINGS OR USE COMMON SENCE, I DO NOT NEED TO ENSURE MY OWN SAFETY AND SURVIVAL, I JUST NEED TO SIT HERE AND WAIT FOR DADDY GOVERNMENT TO SAVE ME.

Give this crap another few days of looting and violence, and watch the national opinion turn.
Hey, Ceez. 1. It wasn't just "welfare recipients" who stayed. 2. Many simply had no were to go.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:23 AM
  #418  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,789
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing that bothered me was an interview with three looters last night, I think it was on CNN, where they were showing off their new shoes. And they justified their stealing of about 20 pairs of shoes because, as they showed the camera, they didn't have any shoes.

Now, I can see staying behind when a category 5 hurricane is coming because you're a dumbass or because you have pets or because you don't have the means... but why would you just lounge around without your shoes on?!?
lotsofdvds is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:24 AM
  #419  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Posts: 10,909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Hey, Ceez. 1. It wasn't just "welfare recipients" who stayed. 2. Many simply had no were to go.
I never implied that...Im just calling it a welfare mentality.

They knew it was hurricane season...buy some gallon jugs of water, canned food, beef jerky, and a transistor radio.

And dont tell me thats too expensive, because if you live on a boat, your should splurge on a lifejacket.

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 09-01-05 at 09:26 AM.
Tommy Ceez is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:24 AM
  #420  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,789
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Yeppers. I think some don't understand the area. It's a shithole. A shitdump. Economically destituted wart on the side of a pig's ass. Sorry to offend those who live there, but that's what I came to understand it as. In fact, it reminded me of Somalia if you've ever been off the major tourist attraction routes.
But... but... free titties a few days each year...
lotsofdvds is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:26 AM
  #421  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 5,829
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Yeppers. I think some don't understand the area. It's a shithole. A shitdump. Economically destituted wart on the side of a pig's ass. Sorry to offend those who live there, but that's what I came to understand it as. In fact, it reminded me of Somalia if you've ever been off the major tourist attraction routes.

I don't know what part of N.O.L.A. you were in, but I loved the place. Maybe I just stayed in the quarter and the garden district, but I thought it was fabulous and beautiful and a little creepy all at the same time. Maybe its a poor area in general, but it makes up for it in rich culture IMHO.
suziq999 is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:27 AM
  #422  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: east texas
Posts: 5,473
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going off of what tommy ceez said, fox had some guy on earlier who said that he had been through 9 hurricanes and then katrina had leveld his house. it's hard to feel sympathy for that when you know exactly what's coming and still choose to stay in the same place. are there people who were unable to leave? probably. but those people who could've left and stayed. morans.
kevin75 is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:27 AM
  #423  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Gil Jawetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: I was here but I disappear
Posts: 8,407
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Yeppers. I think some don't understand the area. It's a shithole. A shitdump. Economically destituted wart on the side of a pig's ass. Sorry to offend those who live there, but that's what I came to understand it as.
Well you understand it wrong. Just because Girls Gone Wild ruined Mardi Gras and the poverty and crime are terrible doesn't make it worthless. It's a wonderful place full of history and beautiful architechture. It's the birthplace of jazz and home to some of the greatest music on earth, as well as some of the finest aging musicians. it's a great, great place. it's not without it's problems but hearing the fucking bitching from people who don't understand the place in here, in the middle of all this shit, is REALLY making me mad. It's a GREAT place and this is a horrendous tragedy.

People are so used to their disposable subdivisions, malls, and WalMarts that they no longer understand what it means to lose a real piece of America anymore.
Gil Jawetz is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:28 AM
  #424  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 61,014
Received 900 Likes on 605 Posts
On a possible Up Note, will we see a building boom over the next few years? Or was that area already so screwed pre-katrina that the rebuilding will be very limited?

I know i heard that the rebuilding could be a big deal.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 09-01-05, 09:29 AM
  #425  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,754
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
I'm just amazed at the lack of control and decision-making. But this behavior reflects why the area is so screwed up--and will also reflect other states and their stupid politicians when a similar crisis happens.

If I was governor, I'd be giving orders to shoot looters and wouldn't hesitate to justify it. I see nothing wrong with it, and it sickens me that this is tolerated. Now people wonder why some of us own weapons. It's because our own government will not be capable of protecting us in times of crisis like these.

Governments: "Oh, your girlfriend got raped and your house was ripped to shreds because of neanderthal people? Sorry! We just didn't have the resources! Ooops! Want a sucker? An MRE? Some bottled water for your black & blue girlfriend?"

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 09-01-05 at 09:34 AM.
DVD Polizei is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.