Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Stop tailgating

Other Talk "Otterville"

Stop tailgating

Old 08-30-05, 02:33 PM
  #101  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I think it's been described pretty well. How is "brake-checking" as described in this thread -- i.e. tapping the brake in order to light up your brake lights, but not actually braking. How is this dangerous, idiotic, or showing them your dick is bigger?

It's not punishment for following too close -- it's letting the guy know, by about the only means you have, that they are following too close.

However, I still prefer my method of just letting off the gas.
What you call tapping your brake; I call recklessly depressing your brakes.

While tailgating is a problem, recklessly depressing your brakes is far worse.
I guess some people think the only way to get rid of an asshole is to become a bigger asshole.


I guess a tailgater could always just pass a brake-checker, then get in front and come to a complete stop.
Old 08-30-05, 02:37 PM
  #102  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 16,569
Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
So, God forbid we should do anything to distract the fucking asshole tailgating us?

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 08-30-05 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-30-05, 02:38 PM
  #103  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 1,100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's say you're going 5-10 miles over the speed limit. A guy is tailgating, you brake check him, and somehow it causes an accident. Remember, the whole idea of "Oh well, it's his fault anyway" won't hold up, because it's going to come out that you were speeding, too, so you will be partially at fault.


and BTW -- all tailgaters are jackholes.
Old 08-30-05, 02:41 PM
  #104  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by island007
What you call tapping your brake; I call recklessly depressing your brakes.

While tailgating is a problem, recklessly depressing your brakes is far worse.
I guess some people think the only way to get rid of an asshole is to become a bigger asshole.


I guess a tailgater could always just pass a brake-checker, then get in front and come to a complete stop.
How is it reckless?

How is tapping your brakes so the light comes on far more dangerous than following someone at a 6 ft distance at 80 mph?
Old 08-30-05, 02:43 PM
  #105  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
So, God forbid we should do anything to distract the fucking asshole tailgating us?
I agree. This thread is making me so angry that I almost want to just shoot the frickin' guy tailgating me. Crap, I thought most tailgaters were just ignorant of their mistake. Turns out I was wrong.
Old 08-30-05, 02:45 PM
  #106  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 16,569
Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
What the hell. I have not much else to live for when tailgaters have more rights than me. Fuck a brake check, I'm slamming. We both gonna die mutha fucka.



I think it's time for me to go home.
Old 08-30-05, 02:46 PM
  #107  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This happened to me yesterday on a two lane highway no less. Some fucktard in a black Monte Carlo who thought he was Jeff fucking Gordon was on my ass. I couldnt even see his headlights. I had to slow down to turn off and I thought he would pass me. But the asshole waited until I started to turn and then jerked into the other lane to pass me. I guess he showed me! Those tailgaters you can't just "PULL OVER" for.
Old 08-30-05, 02:50 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,913
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
What the hell. I have not much else to live for when tailgaters have more rights than me. Fuck a brake check, I'm slamming. We both gonna die mutha fucka.



I think it's time for me to go home.
Depends on the situation. If you're on a four-lane highway going the speed limit and are on the left two lanes, you've got a death wish.
Old 08-30-05, 02:53 PM
  #109  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Depends on the situation. If you're on a four-lane highway going the speed limit and are on the left two lanes, you've got a death wish.

On most interstates if you are going the speed limit or anywhere near it you've got a death wish. At least on I-80 if you aren't going more than 5-10 over everyone seems to ride your ass.
Old 08-30-05, 02:53 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mopower
This happened to me yesterday on a two lane highway no less. Some fucktard in a black Monte Carlo who thought he was Jeff fucking Gordon was on my ass. I couldnt even see his headlights. I had to slow down to turn off and I thought he would pass me. But the asshole waited until I started to turn and then jerked into the other lane to pass me. I guess he showed me! Those tailgaters you can't just "PULL OVER" for.
Apparently, you haven't learned anything from this thread. You are wrong. You shouldn't have slowed down. Next time, turn off going 80 MPH, because you wouldn't want the guy behind you to have to slow JUST FOR YOU! Selfish bastard!
Old 08-30-05, 02:54 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
Apparently, you haven't learned anything from this thread. You are wrong. You shouldn't have slowed down. Next time, turn off going 80 MPH, because you wouldn't want the guy behind you to have to slow JUST FOR YOU! Selfish bastard!

I know. I'm an idiot.
Old 08-30-05, 02:55 PM
  #112  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 16,569
Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
Well, I used to be the sane and courteous fellow who cruised in the middle or right lanes, passing only when necessary, getting over for faster drivers. Not anymore. Not after hearing how so many defend these asshats. I am now on the hunt for tailgaters and other aggressive drivers. [reloading]
Old 08-30-05, 02:58 PM
  #113  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
How is it reckless?

How is tapping your brakes so the light comes on far more dangerous than following someone at a 6 ft distance at 80 mph?
The issue is with your example.
The speed limit in my state is mostly 45 or 55, and on a normal commute to/from work I'm going about 25-30mph for 10 minutes each way.

When someone tailgates me I just ignore them until they pass me.
Also, this thread is the first time I ever heard the term ‘brake-check’.
Old 08-30-05, 03:01 PM
  #114  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by island007
The issue is with your example.
The speed limit in my state is mostly 45 or 55, and on a normal commute to/from work I'm going about 25-30mph for 10 minutes each way.

When someone tailgates me I just ignore them until they pass me.
Also, this thread is the first time I ever heard the term ‘brake-check’.
What's my example? Do you mean the 80 mph? Even at 30 mph, tailgating is more dangerous than tapping ones brake. If you hit me going 30 mph (because I have to really hit my brakes) -- I could end up with some serious injuries -- especially if you pushed my car into another lane or wall or oncoming traffic.

However, my example isn't uncommon... yeah rush hour in most big cities means that traffic is probably moving slower -- but I've been on highways and freeways several times where some guy was tailgating me at 60, 70, or even 80 mph.

Last edited by DodgingCars; 08-30-05 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-30-05, 03:03 PM
  #115  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The example I quoted in my prior post.
Old 08-30-05, 03:05 PM
  #116  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The L.A.
Posts: 18,122
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by island007
The example I quoted in my prior post.
I assume you mean the speed? I edited my post.
Old 08-30-05, 03:16 PM
  #117  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 1,691
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
What the hell. I have not much else to live for when tailgaters have more rights than me. Fuck a brake check, I'm slamming. We both gonna die mutha fucka.
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
Apparently, you haven't learned anything from this thread. You are wrong. You shouldn't have slowed down. Next time, turn off going 80 MPH, because you wouldn't want the guy behind you to have to slow JUST FOR YOU! Selfish bastard!
. I'm with you guys, I don't see how anybody can defend constantly tailgating somebody at high speeds. What people seem to be forgetting is that if I manage to get the jerk off my ass by tapping my brakes or coasting, then I help avoid him plowing into my back seat if I do have to stop fast later on down the road for a person / animal / etc...

Last edited by SuprVgeta; 08-30-05 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-30-05, 03:18 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I assume you mean the speed? I edited my post.
Yes, I just can't relate to those high speeds. I can count on one hand the amount of times I ever hit 55 mph in one year.

I'm unsure what I would do if someone was 6 feet behind me doing 80 mph.
That is scary!

I guess it's a different perspective and one I have yet to experience.
Old 08-30-05, 03:39 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by island007
Yes, I just can't relate to those high speeds. I can count on one hand the amount of times I ever hit 55 mph in one year.
Are you Amish?
Old 08-30-05, 03:55 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Are you Amish?

Well he does live in Hawaii. You drive 55 for a while and next thing you know you are on the other side of the island.
Old 08-30-05, 04:42 PM
  #121  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Culver City, CA, USA
Posts: 417
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weargle
my cruise was set on 85 (On I-95, that's no big deal).
Actually, it's 10 miles over the speed limit, minimum.

I hate it when people try to justify speeding with that "everyone else is" mentality. Great freakin' logic.

Last edited by RMSpuhler; 08-30-05 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-30-05, 05:14 PM
  #122  
Mod Emeritus
 
Gallant Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 15,325
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Well he does live in Hawaii. You drive 55 for a while and next thing you know you are on the other side of the island.
Judging by his sig, I'd at least guess he went to USC, unless they moved that to Hawaii too.
Old 08-30-05, 05:48 PM
  #123  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Judging by his sig, I'd at least guess he went to USC, unless they moved that to Hawaii too.
Yes, I did graduate from USC; however, I was in a dormitory. There wasn't any need for me to own a car there.
Old 08-30-05, 05:48 PM
  #124  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 12,269
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by island007
I can count on one hand the amount of times I ever hit 55 mph in one year.
Old 08-30-05, 05:50 PM
  #125  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,913
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Wait, so you're angry that people are tailgating you when you're going 10mph below the speed limit?

Just take a bicycle. It's going to take you about as long to get there.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.