Old 08-22-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cow manure eyed as alternate fuel source

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/12445125.htm

Posted on Mon, Aug. 22, 2005

Cow manure eyed as alternate fuel source

BETSY BLANEY
Associated Press

LUBBOCK, Texas - As oil prices soar, cow manure is getting more attention as an alternative fuel source, particularly in Texas, the country's biggest producer of cow patties.

For years, researchers have studied manure as a fertilizer. But at a time when state and federal energy bills have called for increasing renewable energy sources, there is more focus on developing cow dung as an alternative to coal or natural gas.

"I see it as a valuable tool in our tool box," said John Sweeten, resident director of the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station in Amarillo. "Sixty-dollar-a-barrel oil recruits a lot of interest in biomass. At $10-a-barrel oil, there's not much interest."

The Panda Group of Dallas plans to fuel a $120 million ethanol plant set to open next year in Hereford with cow manure and other waste. The company said it will realize an energy savings equivalent to 1,000 barrels of oil per day turning manure and cotton gin waste into clean-burning fuel to power the plant.

Biomass is renewable organic matter, such as manure and crops like corn, grain sorghum and soybeans, all of which can be processed into ethanol.

"Anything that's renewable and is at least competitive with other prices, it's better for everybody," said Donald L. Klass, director of Biomass Energy Research Association in Washington.

With more cattle, dairy cows and hogs coming to the Texas Panhandle, and with farmers moving toward planting more dryland crops that demand less fertilizer, the potential for surplus manure is great.

Nearly 5 million head of cattle come to about 100 area feedyards each year. While there, they produce billions of pounds of manure.

"It's almost too good not to use," said David Parker, a professor of agriculture at West Texas A&M University.

Researchers at a feedlot are trying to figure out the best process and mix of manure to create the most useable heat and energy.

A future research project will examine the use of manure from dairy cows which, like swine manure, requires a different process to capture the energy, Sweeten said. But cattle for meat outnumber other concentrated animal feeding operations in the Texas Panhandle.

Sweeten said manure contains at best about a third to a quarter of the energy value as coal, so transporting it far from where it's produced is impractical. Thus, Sweeten said manure-generated energy would only be used regionally.

"You don't get as much bang for your buck" with manure compared to coal, he said.
Old 08-22-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
That's bullshit!
Old 08-22-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That would be pretty cool if I could get something hooked up in my car like in Back to the Future. Instead of trash I could stuff some cow shit in it and be on my way. I could even take a drive to the country and pick up my fuel for the week. Bobby Knight needs to get this thing rolling.
Old 08-22-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Cow manure eyed" . . . is that kind of like "dreamy eyed" . . . but . . . you know . . . really, REALLY different?
Old 08-22-05, 12:35 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
[ This space reserved for hilarious puns using the words "kine", "herd" and "butcher."]
Old 08-22-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AMAZING POO-POOEY FACT #633:

I heard somewhere (on the trail) that in the ol' west, where there weren't many trees (out there on the prairies, or what have you), they used to use dried Cow (and or Bull) pies for the campfires!

HOPALONG THEEKIDY!

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-22-05 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-22-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We have access to corn that we aren't utilizing to make cheap Ethanol, so why are they even bring this up? To get people to stop complaining about the gas prices? Either get Ethanol into our tanks for a low price, or get the damned hydrogen cars on the road for a low price, but either way, don't charge as much for gas for these "cheaper" alternatives!
Old 08-22-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Edit King
AMAZING POO-POOEY FACT #633:

I heard somewhere (on the trail) that in the ol' west, where there weren't many trees (out there on the prairies, or what have you), they used to use dried Cow (and or Bull) pies for the campfires!

HOPALONG THEEKIDY!

Old 08-22-05, 04:52 PM
Banned

Some shit from Texas might help the fuel crisis? I thought his Energy Bill went through already?
Old 08-22-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still waiting for flux capasitator. The amount of old banana peels I have is getting out of hand!
Old 08-22-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Damn vegitarians will ruin this for us.
Old 08-22-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...

Yeah, Theek, they did used to dry cow patties and use them for fuel... my grandpa (who had many different jobs after he "retired", including raising beef cattle) told us kids that many many years ago. I still think it's a stupid idea, because I can't BELIEVE they wouldn't smell!
Old 08-22-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
We have access to corn that we aren't utilizing to make cheap Ethanol, so why are they even bring this up? To get people to stop complaining about the gas prices? Either get Ethanol into our tanks for a low price, or get the damned hydrogen cars on the road for a low price, but either way, don't charge as much for gas for these "cheaper" alternatives!
All the alternative energy technologies are going to keep getting cheaper as the technology improves, whereas anything derived from crude oil will rise in cost because of decreasing supply. Twenty years from now you may be paying $2.50*/gal for the "cheaper" alternative fuel, but by then the regular gasoline might cost $5.009*/gal

*amounts listed for demonstrative purposes only
Old 08-22-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07
The article seems a bit off the mark. However, a lot of feedlots use anaerobic manure digesters. They generate some low-grade natural gas (about 50% methane, 50% CO2) from the manure, and what is left is a much "cleaner" fertilizer than raw manure. Here's a link to one program description: http://www.mda.state.mn.us/feedlots/digester.htm

Ethanol uses a lot of fossil energy to distill the ethanol from the mash. Since the leftovers of the mash is used to feed cattle, the cattle shit could be digested for natural gas to distill the ethanol. In the end, we get ethanol to drive with, and cows to eat.

However, all this stuff was more expensive than the old prices of oil. Now oil is reaching a price where this kind of stuff will start to compete. I doubt will will run around collecting and drying cowpies to burn in fireplaces, but digesters make sense for pollution clean-up and a little power. They won't solve the energy crisis..
Old 08-22-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Not shit. Energy
Old 08-22-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cars that run on crap, huh? That'd make sitting in rush hour traffic so much better.
Old 08-22-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mikehunt
Not shit. Energy

YES!!!!!

You fix!