Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

update on "Mr. Six"

Old 08-22-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

update on "Mr. Six"

Although Six Flags has spent $72 million on the ad campaign featuring Mr. Six, sales have not increased at all.

We can only hope that this means he's toast.
Old 08-22-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Who?
Old 08-22-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mr. Six should be beaten and released, but the Mr. Six impersonators should be shot on sight.
Old 08-22-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's an idea to boost traffic.

Lower the admission rates

Lower the concession ratres

That will boost attendance.
Old 08-22-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by debbert

Lower the concession rates

Dump the advertising geniuses that told you to spend $72 million on someone dressed up like an old man and do what debbert said.

My bank has a promotional tie-in with Six Flags and I was standing in line the other day and started to get creeped out by that guys face staring at me from a giant poster. I looked in another direction and discovered that everywhere I looked (except the floor), was another picture of that guy. There was nowhere you could stand and not be bombarded with that image.

Last edited by Quatermass; 08-22-05 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-22-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I want to have Mr. Six's babies.
Old 08-22-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by debbert

Lower the concession ratres

And the Six Flags in So Cal should do more to ban the gangs and hoodlums that have turned it into a crappy place to take the family.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-22-05 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-22-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

I like Mr. Six. If there were a park around here, I'd go just to support him.

And lowering all the prices better boost attendance, because you'd need to just to make the same money as before.
Old 08-22-05, 10:17 AM
Banned

Lowering the prices won't help.

Mr. Six definitely won't help (your main target audience is families with kids, and most kids find the guy creepy).

I stopped going to Six Flags when the lines got too ridiculous. Reduce the amount of time I need to spend to ride the rides, and I'll go back. But not before.

Hell, I'd pay double the admission price to have half as long of a line. Admission price is the least of their problems. If you can't afford $15 a head, you don't really need to go anyway.
Old 08-22-05, 10:20 AM

Mr. Six is the most disturbing advertising character of my lifetime.
Old 08-22-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Their price is in line (or cheaper than) other amusement parks. The reason I won't go to my local Six Flags is more with the long lines, uncontrolled kids, and general atmosphere than the price. Parents need a summertime babysitter, so they've filled their parks with kids on season passes that don't spend any money. If they raised the price on their season passes, that might help reduce the problems.
Old 08-22-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Never heard of him.
Old 08-22-05, 11:02 AM
X
Administrator

Looks like somebody reads their Sunday paper's magazine supplement.
Old 08-22-05, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Otto
Admission price is the least of their problems. If you can't afford $15 a head, you don't really need to go anyway.
I was thinking of Six Flags over Texas where regular admission is $41.99, though almost nobody pays that.
http://www.sixflags.com/parks/overte...nfo/index.html

$15 would be reasonable.
Old 08-22-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Otto

Mr. Six definitely won't help (your main target audience is families with kids, and most kids find the guy creepy).

I stopped going to Six Flags when the lines got too ridiculous. Reduce the amount of time I need to spend to ride the rides, and I'll go back. But not before.

Hell, I'd pay double the admission price to have half as long of a line. Admission price is the least of their problems. If you can't afford $15 a head, you don't really need to go anyway.
$15? You really haven't been in awhile have you.
Old 08-22-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Six Flags has really gone down hill since they teamed up with WB. I live in Dallas, home to the original Six Flags; Six Flags Over Texas. When it was first built you had Six Flags and Disneyland, they were to two major theme parks and they competed against one another. Six Flags Over Texas was every bit as big on theming as Disneyland. Each "land" was themed after one of the six countries that at one time or another called Texas theirs. (Fraince, Spaint, Mexicao, Texas, Confederacy, and USA)

Then the WB deal happened and the focus went from the six themes to WB characters and franchises. The lands are still there but the theming is all but ignored, now. What was a pleasant park to visit and walk around in is now a massive, sprawling mess with the focus on huge rides with long lines, usually with nothing entertaining or interesting to look at while waiting. Oh, and they decided that food vendors with unique, somewhat fresh food didn't create enough profit. So they made all of the food generic and any place that sold unique food was either closed or switched to generic food.

There was a southern cafeteria style restaurant with all kinds of great good. Now they sell turkey legs... Another place, I believe the Southern PLantation, sold excellent fried chicken. Gone. The soda fountain now sells generic burgers. The soda fountain workings are still there, but they have sat unused for years. They even kept this up in the mid-90s when they opened Runaway Mountain, in a swampy-themed area. They had a burger place with decent burgers and it had a few unique features, like fried aligator, unique sauce, etc. Gone, now it's the same generic, overprice shit they sell everywher else.

Once last rant, rather than spend money on decent pavement, they went with extremely cheap, black-top something. It's not even asphalt, it's too smooth. Almost every walkway in the entire park is covered with this cheap, black shit. What GENIUS decided it would be a good idea to pave the sidewalks in a giant amusement park in TEXAS with blacktop? As if it's not hot enough without it!!

Last edited by shaun3000; 08-22-05 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-22-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Boosting traffic is the last thing they should do. The lines are already beyond capacity. I'll bet people would go if the lines were shorter.

Here's one possible way: implement both a reasonable maximum park attendance number and require a "fast pass" type system of ride reservations for all rides. Force people to book in advance (black out days when they reach capacity) and force people to reserve ridesonce they arrived.

Eventually, the ideal would be to set up a reservation system on line. Each guest books an "iternerary" for the day of all of the rides and attractions they wanted to hit. Reserve some time for meals (make it a package deal) and sideshows. Open slots are shown (just like when you're at the airport) and you set up your day: 1:31, this ride, 1:42 that ride etc. People using the system would be guaranteed a walk-on at the appointed time. You could even charge a little extra for this service: I would love a line-free day. The amusement parks get more money per customer, even traffic throughout the day, increased efficiency and happier customers. Sounds good to me.

Last edited by Hiro11; 08-22-05 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-22-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's overkill. Disney stops letting people in after a certain capacity is reached. Disney implemented Fastpass. You don't have to reserve your place ahead of time and you don't have to reserve rides as soon as you get in the park. That would just turn people off, especially for a park that is not a destination like teh Disney parks. I went to Disney WOrld with my family, last year, in late July. There were tons of people and lines were fairly long. BUT, the experience at the Disney parks is top-notch and the Fastpasses really work. The longest we ever waited for anything was maybe 30 minutes.

Six Flags could easily do the same. I've seen them letting people in at 5:00 on a weekend, when lines were INSANE inside. If they're willing to pay, they get in. WHOO HOO. As for Fastpass, rather than do what Disney did and put it on the most popular rides to let people ride less popular rides with shorter lines while they are "waiting in line" for somethign else, Six Flags lets you buy what is basically a Front Of The Line pass. For an extra $xx you get this little gadget and youi get to the front of any line you want, all day long. Yeah, that will make the lines move faster. Dipshits...

Last edited by shaun3000; 08-22-05 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-22-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved Disney's Fast Pass. The only problem was 1 at a time. So if you got one for 3 hours later on one ride, you couldn't get another one til that one's time had passed. They should make it dependent on the time. So if you have one for 3 hours, you could get one for 1.5 or something as well. jmho...
Old 08-22-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
And the Six Flags in So Cal should do more to ban the gangs and hoodlums that have turned it into a crappy place to take the family.
True. Having a general "Gang Night" was a bad idea. They really should have given each gang their own night. Bloods Night, Crips Night, Latin Kings Night etc. That would hopefully cut down on some of the violence.
Old 08-22-05, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kantonburg
$15? You really haven't been in awhile have you.
Last time was... err... 4 years ago. The price was actually $32, but there were those "give us a coke can and get someone else in free" deals that happen every year.

It's the difference between list price and actual price you pay.
Old 08-22-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
I loved Disney's Fast Pass. The only problem was 1 at a time. So if you got one for 3 hours later on one ride, you couldn't get another one til that one's time had passed. They should make it dependent on the time. So if you have one for 3 hours, you could get one for 1.5 or something as well. jmho...
Not so. If there is a long wait, the Fastpass will usually give a time that you can get another one, usually an hour or so, so you're not waiting around all day for that one ride. Also, if a ride is REALLY busy, I've seen it give a bonus Fastpass. For example, when lines for Test Track at Epcot get really long, it will usually spit out a pass for Honey, I Shrunk the Audience in addition to your pass for Test Track. AND give you a time to go get another pass, usually an hour or so later.
Old 08-22-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone needs to drop off the latest copy of Roller Coaster Tycoon to those people. If they can't run their park right then maybe they should practice first.
Old 08-22-05, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Phil L.
True. Having a general "Gang Night" was a bad idea. They really should have given each gang their own night. Bloods Night, Crips Night, Latin Kings Night etc. That would hopefully cut down on some of the violence.

Better yet, they could give each gang its own themed section (turf) and rename it to Six Thugs. Kids can go into LatinLand and go on "Mr. Homey's Wild Bouncing Lowrider", then visit the artisans in Skinhead Village, bus' a cap at Uncle Crackhead's Shooting Gallery in CripTown and top off the evening with dinner and a musical variety revue in the Blood District.
Old 08-22-05, 12:35 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quatermass

Better yet, they could give each gang its own themed section (turf) and rename it to Six Thugs. Kids can go into LatinLand and go on "Mr. Homey's Wild Bouncing Lowrider", then visit the artisans in Skinhead Village, bus' a cap at Uncle Crackhead's Shooting Gallery in CripTown and top off the evening with dinner and a musical variety revue in the Blood District.
The funny thing is I bet that version of the park would actually have viewer gangs than the real thing... it'd be all white suburban kids going there to get "street cred".

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.