Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Burger King Chicken Fries Commercials...

Old 08-21-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Burger King Chicken Fries Commercials...

Uh...WTF? Has anyone seen these commercials? These things are, to say the least, horrid.

My girlfriend pointed this out... the theme is "cock rock" and the song lyrics talk about "bob your head" and having things "in your mouth"...

draw your own conclusions here. Is anyone else seeing this, or is it just me?
Old 08-22-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ONE KINGDOM UNDER CHICK-ENNN FRI-IIIIIES!
Old 08-22-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard on the radio that Slipknot is threatening legal action over the "Cock Rock" ad. (no, really!)
Old 08-22-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's COQ ROQ! Where did you guys learn to spell?

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 08-22-05 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-22-05, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still trying to figure out who thought it would be wise to name their band Coq Rok. Don't any of the advertising people have teenage kids?
Old 08-22-05, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Between the Hootie commercial, the King commercial, and the Chickenfries commercial, BK is getting a lot of thread attention at this forum... so I guess it's working, right?
Old 08-22-05, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Between the Hootie commercial, the King commercial, and the Chickenfries commercial, BK is getting a lot of thread attention at this forum... so I guess it's working, right?
I've opened all the threads about BK (I have a lot of time on my hands) but have never bought the BK chicken fries. I buy cricken sticks at the store and fry em up in my fry daddy. They're a lot cheaper and they even come with a prayer on the bag!
Old 08-22-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk God

You should've watched the live 3 hour UFC event on Spike about 3 weeks ago. It was sponsored by Burger King, and every "commercial" break, that same exact commercial played. But wait! Not only did I get to see it, bu tI got to see the alternate versions, the behind the scenes and the other "songs" they play. Oh yeah, that sucked watching live.
Old 08-22-05, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't seen this ad yet.
Old 08-22-05, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Since the Coq Roq ads started airing I have avoided purchasing anything at BK, and I will continue my silent boycott until this campaign has ended. I understand that commercials are expected to be annoying, but this set of ads takes the cake.
Old 08-22-05, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The chicken fries are actully kind of good.

If Slipknow is gonna sue Coq Roq... then I think that GWAR should sue Slipknot!
Old 08-22-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Coq Roq?? Burger King can suck my Coq. Until they pull those retarted ads I'm not eating there.
Old 08-22-05, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Vader 20 questions, the Subservient chicken...
Old 08-22-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will purposefully NOT buy these due to these suck-*** commercials.

I can't even stand seeing them for a fraction of a second while doing 30-second skip with the TiVo...

By the way:

That guy that who invented the "Does Advertising Work? It Just Did!!!" billboards.

I didn't buy your product, you freakin' retard.
Old 08-22-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I guess...I haven't been to a burger king but like once in 3 years...so perhaps not. Then again, ads about coq sucking might get me in there "Here's your chicken fries, would you like head with that?" But only if the chick at the counter is cute...however, not that there's anything wrong with it, but the ads have more of a ****-erotic overtone...
Old 08-22-05, 09:28 AM
Banned

Huh.

I finally tried them. Prefer the chicken tenders.
Old 08-22-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah . . . I tried them a couple of weeks ago . . . boy was that a mistake . . .

Imagine the old school Chicken McNugget's, but long and thin and not quite as good. If nothing else, you shouldn't be able see bubble-shaped air pockets in your chicken.
Old 08-22-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

If Slipknow is gonna sue Coq Roq... then I think that GWAR should sue Slipknot!
Good point.

Buford: I have to confess that I haven't actually seen the commercial in question, so I wasn't aware of the proper spelling of "Coq Roq". Thank you for the clarification.
Old 08-22-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No problem Mr. shock. Just trying to help.

Have I posted their site yet?

They got some hotties in the gallery. But not the one in the commercial.

www.coqroq.com
Old 08-22-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.thewelladvertising.com/news_072605.htm

They actually had one of the pictures with the caption "Groopies love the Coq", but that was quickly changed.

Seriously, I'm not usually uptight over this kind of stuff, but this is pretty damn irresponsible for such a large company. It's one thing to to "hip" and "funny" (which, by the way, this is neither)... it's another thing to have a major campaign aimed at kids/teens that has this kind of message.
Old 08-22-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

......."a few weeks ago at the bar a see a commercial. i see more tv at the bar than i do at home, apparently, since i totally missed this. it's the new BK ad with the chicken band, cock rock or coq roq. for a split second i think what the hell is GWAR doing on tv? then i'm like wow, this is so GWAR like, and there for awesome. i tried to catch the ad at home for a few days but no luck. however everytime i was at the bar i saw the damn commercial. so i've seen it a few times but i've never heard it. so a week later i'm talking to Jenn and she mentions she hates beaks. umm yeah beaks. the beaks remind me of the chicken themed Coq Roq and i ask her if she has seen that commercial yet. she hasn't. so i'm like you got to, it's awesome, meaning GWAR like in appearance. she likes the idea of it all and wants to see it. i start trying to pay attention to what channels and what time i am seeing the it at the bar. no luck, but she sees it a week and half later. and then tonight i find this:

http://www.coqroq.com

not only do i find that, but there i find this:

1-888-767-7268.

you call that number hold the cell phone to music for 15 seconds and then a few later you get a text message telling you the song's name and who does it.

hmm what about cover versions?

so i call the number and let the phone listen to the music that comes from the Coq Roq page. i get this text 10 seconds later:

"It's weird to hear your own music. i heard One Armed Bandit and thought, "Those guys rock." But "those guys" are us. Sweet.

ok, cool. it "works?" i do believe i've heard of this business model recently, but vaguely. so i'm still not sold. btw, the first time i called it informed me that the first 3 times are free, afterwards it's costs 99 cents each time.

Round 2.

i call with Eddie Money's Two Tickets to Paradise blaring in the backround (please don't ask why that song.) i get this text 30 seconds later:

"Eddie Money is tearing it up. I don't know what kind of music you call Two Tickets To Paradise, but it rocks."

Alright, round 3. let's send it a curve ball, Skinny Puppy's First Aid.

hmm, that was a fast reply.... let's see... bitch. i figured as much:

"I couldn't hear a thing, bro. Call me back and crank it. I didn't charge you for this."

round 3.1 let's try GWAR's Sick of You.

So sick of you. bring it down... i said bring it down! don't you know, so sick of you. things you say things you do.... ok message received, and......

ah the fuckers, same as before.

alright. so thesmokinggun.com reports this, http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...slipknot1.html

slipknot is sueing Burger King over Coq Roq.

alright, for giggles, round 3.2... Slipknot's duality..

it almost figures;

"Slipknot nailed it. If Dualitywere[sic] a flavor it would be called rockalicious."........

Last edited by Venom; 08-22-05 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-22-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

their lyrics are pretty funny. they got the lyrics and mp3s to the 4 songs. i like Nice Box. lol