Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Who here has returned to school to get a graduate degree?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-21-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm strongly considering going back to school to get an MBA at the University of Washington, since this seems like the perfect time (not married, no kids). However, I also have $20,000 in debt from my bachelor's degree.

What are some things to consider when going back? Will I qualify for federal loans now that I have a job? (I'm stretched pretty thin right now, trying to pay off credit card debt.) Will some of my bachelor's degree transfer over? (Looking at the list, it looks like I've already taken 90% of the core classes as an undergraduate and gotten A's or B's in all of them.) Will my job opportunities really open up that much?
Old 08-21-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk God

corrie has gone back part time (using company reimbursement)
she will finish her MBA in december (3 classes to go)

you wont have any trouble getting a student loan, if thats the way you want to go.
Cant say much about career opportunities afterwards.. But the people I know of, that went back for their MBA, have all gone on to better jobs.. Corrie hasnt finished, but she is getting a really nice pay bump if we except the relocation that is being offered, and her MBA was a large part of the justification.
Old 08-21-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Question #1 (and miles ahead of #2): Does your current employer have tuition reimbursement and are you eligible. If not, can you find a job where this is the case.

I got my MBA (a long time ago) in night school and my employer paid all the tuition. Sure, there were some rules to follow, but compared to the cost, no biggie. I liked the night program, most of the other students were engineers like me, as opposed to business students. We had a few BBA's though which gave a slightly more diverse mix.

If you are looking for jobs in management, it will certainly help (the "A" in MBA).

It certainly curtails your social life. Given the program in the school I went to (and employer max on courses per term), I could have done it in 3 years, if I went summers too, but I skipped summers and took four years to preserve my sanity and enjoy the summer. YMMV.
Old 08-21-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They pay some ridiculously small amount like $600 a year. I would be doing night school and going summers, if I can. I did summers every year of my undergraduate degree as well and maintained a social life while working one and occasionally two jobs throughout the year, so I should be able to manage. Luckily, I generally work no more than 40 hours a week.

Actually, since I moved here a year ago it's been hard to meet people, since everyone I work with is a lot older than I am and I don't go to church or anything. So that might be a plus of getting back on a campus.
Old 08-21-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

I have. I'll have my Master's in Educational Psychology w/ emphasis in Counseling in about 8 weeks. My last class starts Tuesday.

Every single penny (except books) have been paid for by my work's tuition reimbursement. I think the total tally has been about $8,400, give or take. I've had straight A's throughout the degree, so I get 100% reimubursement.

The icing is that I have no obligation to stay with my employer after this. Some places make you pay back some/all if you leave in a certain period of time after, but not my employer.

I also did night school. It was only 1 night per week committment. I did all sessions possible, and I finished in 2 years. Despite the time commitment, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Definitely look at any scholarships and financial aid if you can.
Old 08-21-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What kind of MBA are you thinking about getting? Does theUW offer a variety of them? If your grades were high in the core classes then it probably wouldn't hurt to get a MBA in something a bit more challenging like Accounting.
Old 08-21-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My business classes were all A's and B's. There are different career paths you can follow with electives after the core classes at UW. I probably wouldn't do Accounting since I hated those classes. My undergraduate was Management of Information Systems (with three years of Computer Science) and I work as an online consultant, so I wouldn't need a strong technology track. If I were to do it, I might go with e-commerce or entrepreneurship. Ideally, I'd like to help grow a small tech company.

Would I have to take the GMAT? I downloaded a practice program and it didn't seem too difficult... just some essay questions and basic math.
Old 08-21-05, 10:21 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Will some of my bachelor's degree transfer over? (Looking at the list, it looks like I've already taken 90% of the core classes as an undergraduate and gotten A's or B's in all of them.)
I highly doubt it. At best they might let you out of taking some required classes, but you'll definitely have to take other classes in place of it. Hell, with my masters, I'm grad level versions of classes I took during my undergrad.

Would I have to take the GMAT?
I am pretty sure UW's MBA program requires GMAT. I'm not positive since I've never looked into... I'm going by memory from what a friend who was looking into it sad.
Old 08-22-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got mine (an MBA) from the University of Georgia through a company sponsored program as well. They pay off the entire loan over three years beginning right after graduation. Any "voluntary separation" from the company before then results in my having to pay off the remainder of the loan (only ~3 months to go! ). Ours was a distance learning program with a week on campus that ended and began every semester. Great program . . . I probably never would have gotten my MBA had I not had that program.
Old 08-22-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh . . . I forgot . . . I had to take the GMAT in order to get in. A couple of days of studying beforehand (pretty much just refreshing just my memory with the study guide) and it was cake.
Old 08-22-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went straight from undergrad to grad school.
Old 08-22-05, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk God

I found a program that didn't require the GRE or GMAT. Not that I couldn't have passed with flying colors, but it was so much easier not having to worry about that when I signed up.
Old 08-22-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ranger
What kind of MBA are you thinking about getting? Does theUW offer a variety of them? If your grades were high in the core classes then it probably wouldn't hurt to get a MBA in something a bit more challenging like Accounting.

MBA (Masters in Business Administration) is a pretty specific degree, and typically the industry standard as the best *overall* option

If someone is looking for something geared more to a specific field of work, they might consider a Masters of Accounting, Finance, MIS, Physics, etc....

But I dont think anyone is going to say more *challenging*, since most schools dont offer a Masters in Basket weaving
Old 08-22-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff

MBA (Masters in Business Administration) is a pretty specific degree, and typically the industry standard as the best *overall* option
Well, but you can specialize your MBA . . . mine is an MBA with a focus in Marketing . . . others in the program that I was in opted for a focus in Accounting (don't ask me why . . . ).

Old 08-22-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got my MBA from Ohio State a few years ago. They had a night program that I finished in two years. They have since revamped it, so now you need more credits and it takes longer. It was pretty intense. My wife and I never saw each other. Had class from 6-10 T TH after working 8-5. On the other days (and at least one day on the weekend), I would have a group to meet with for projects, papers, etc.

I'm very glad I did it, and do believe it is very worthwhile, but it is a huge time commitment.
Old 08-22-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't go to church or anything.
Hmm, sounds to me like you have more important things than student loans and transfer credit to worry about.
Old 08-22-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff

If someone is looking for something geared more to a specific field of work, they might consider a Masters of Accounting, Finance, MIS, Physics, etc....

But I dont think anyone is going to say more *challenging*, since most schools dont offer a Masters in Basket weaving
I know what MBA stands for, thanks.

There is the standard MBA, but there's also the JD/BCL-MBA. Then there's the usual specialilizations such as:
* Finance
* Marketing
* Accounting
* Internal auditing
* E-commerce
* Systems audit
* Entrepreneurship
* Human resource management
* Real estate
* Economics
* Public administration
* Sports management
* Information systems and decision sciences (ISDS)

Your specialization choice could make a big difference. I believe that those who choose a Finance or Accounting MBA are usually paid much higher.

And some people certainly would say that accounting is more challenging than marketing.
Old 08-22-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And some people certainly would say that accounting is more challenging than marketing.
Yeah, but Accounting is . . . just . . . s . . . .

Old 08-22-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

let me guess....

accountants?