Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Accord vs Camry

Old 08-21-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Accord vs Camry

I'm looking to replace my problem plagued Taurus and I've narrowed down my choices between the Accord EX V6 and the Camry XLE V6 w/VSC.

I've test drove each. The Camry is about $1K more because of the stability control. I like both for different reasons. The Accord has better handling, brakes, seats and slightly better fuel mileage. The Camry is a bit roomier, larger trunk, quieter and has VSC.

It will be used as a commuting car (1200 miles/month) and occasional family trips.

Which would you choose and why?
Old 08-21-05, 08:09 AM

Not much help here, but either one would be a great choice. Both are well made, have good reliability, and offer great options.

I have an 05 Accord.......it was between the Camry and the Accord, and the guy gave me a better deal at Honda. Thats the only reason.

My last 4 cars were Accord, Camry, Accord, Accord, so you see where I stand.

Good luck though!

Last edited by Michael Sheridan; 08-21-05 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-21-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm assuming you've driven both - for whatever reason, I don't fit right in the new Accords so I'd go with the Camry. I just can't find a comfortable way to orient my knees and the visibility seems poor. Plus, I like the Camry styling a little better, too. I'd also stick with the V6 and SE package and save a few grand, but again, that's just me.
Old 08-21-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Which one do you like better?

Otherwise I'd look at resale value, but I don't think it's very different.
Old 08-21-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As someone who has owned four Accords, I would say Honda.

Really though, your choice is between two of the best cars being made.
Old 08-21-05, 09:24 AM

Accord all the way, they're both good cars but I just like the look of the accord better and I think it's a slightly better car overall too.
Old 08-21-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

An accord will be the next car I get...
Old 08-21-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have nothing of importance to add to this conversation, really. I will put in my vote for the Accord, though. I have a 2003 EXV6 coupe, and I am as happy with it as I was the day I brought it home. I love the size, fit, and styling but am most impressed with the fact that, on the road, it feels like it has substantially more weight than it looks like it should.

I have a bad taste in my mouth for the Camry because a friend of mine keeps having to take his into the shop for some reason or another. But I think his is a '98 model, so that's probably not an issue for you.

have you checked out car reviews at edmunds.com? some of the buyer comments sure talked me out of buying a Volkswagon Passat back when I was considering it. Maybe that will be helpful to you.
Old 08-21-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know much about the Camry, but I'm sure it's a good car (read the reviews on Edmunds.com if you haven't yet). I'm on my 3rd Accord and will buy another one when it's time. Great car.
Old 08-21-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would put in a vote on the Camry.. I had to decide between the two, same setups on them, and got the Camry.

I just prefered Toyota, and the Camry did seem to have more room, and liked the layout of controls better too.

Resale etc. is all about the same. I also like the Camry looks slightly better too, and overall just feels like a more solid car, such as when you slam the doors close.

Either way you can't go wrong I would say.
Old 08-21-05, 10:55 AM

I have a 04 Accord V6. I liked it better than the camry mainly because it drives and handles better. It's our commuter car so that was important for us. Also the many reviews (online/mags) favored the ACc over the camry, if that's important to you.
Old 08-21-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a Camry and loved it.

Based on your description I'd go with the Camry. You drive a lot and the Camry rides better, quieter, larger (family trips). But then again this is personal preference. You can't go wrong with either choice for sure.
Old 08-21-05, 11:55 AM

Toyota owns on air condition...

My vote is the camry...
Old 08-21-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Flip a coin.

Or buy an Accord because I have one. My last two cars have been Accords and the one before that was a Camry. All have been great cars in the times that I wasn't smashing into fences or other cars.
Old 08-21-05, 01:01 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I just bought a 2005 Accord LX, and my final choice was between that and a Camry. I chose the Accord because I've owned Hondas for years, they last a long time, and I got a great deal. I also like the look of the Accord better than the Camry.

BTW - now is the time to buy a 2005 (either Accord or Camry), as the 2006 models arrive in September and the dealers want to clear their inventory. You can get them for below invoice right now if you shop aggressively.
Old 08-21-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I've owned a 1988 Camry and a 2000 Accord. You won't go wrong with either one.

Get the one that feels better to you.
Old 08-21-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a 1995 camry LE V6, I drove it 10 years and put 150K on it. It was almost completely trouble free (I did the toyota scheduled maintenance as outlined in the owners manual). My power antenna broke at about 100,000 miles and I also put new shocks in it at 100,000. At 110,000 I had to put in new CV boots (the joints were fine so I just replaced the boots) and at a little over 5 years it needed a battery.

I went car shopping again this past December and I really wanted to buy something other than a Camry. Since I had one for 10 years, it was just time for something else.

I also decided to step down from a 6 cylinder and go with a 4 cyl for fuel economy. I drive mostly city stop and go and the V6 ate gas like crazy, I would get 18-19mpg most of the time (but on the highway I would get 26-27 even at 150,000 miles)

My first pick was the Honda Accord. I drove it and like someone who posted above, I just could not get comfortable in it (I am 6'5" and roughly 250lbs). Other than that, I also didn't like how loud it was and the auto trans seemed to cause a bit of vibration when stopped at a red light for long periods.

My next pick was the Nissan Altima. About the only good thing I can say about the Nissan is that it was CHEAP! As for the rest, I couldn't stand how 'cheap' it felt and how noisey/buzzy the interrior was at all speeds. Not the car for me. Also, driver room was a minor issue, I could have lived with it, but it was not perfect for me.

So, I went to a Toyota dealer and drove a 2005 Camry SE I-4 just to see if it was anything like my old one. I was in total shock, it was NOTHING like my old one (even though the old one was a great car) this one was a ton better. It was SMOOTH at any speed. It was also quieter than the honda or nissan at any speed. Tons and Tons of room for passengers and in the trunk. The SE suspension was much better than the LE (many people complain the camry LE is too soft, I agree). It had all the options I wanted and then some (moon roof, upgraded stereo). I actually ended up buying it on the spot (well after 2-3 hours of arguing price, I walked out twice).

If you drive all 3 vehicles like I did, close together, you will see which one is the more refined vehicle. I imagine the same with the V6 engine models, but if HORSEPOWER is your sole deciding factor then the Camry will lose. If you want comfort, quiet smooth ride with plenty of room and good ergomonics, then the Camry is a winner. I might suggest you look at the SE instead of the XLE.

I now have 10,000 miles on the new car and only have ONE complaint with it. There is a seat belt warning buzzer that drives me insane (it dings at faster speeds for a solid 60 seconds). It is not a problem for me, I wear my belt, it is a problem when I put things in the passenger seat (I now just buckle the passenger belt) and it is a problem when I have people in my car that don't wear a belt (like co-workers going to lunch). It is very agrivating that I can't turn it off on the passenger seat. I will figure out a way to wire to a switch, I just haven't had enough time yet to figure it out.

After 8 months, 10,000 miles and 3 family vacations in it, that is my one and only complaint. So here I sit again as another happy Camry owner and will probably have this one for 10 years as I generally won't get rid of a car in less than 10 years unless it falls apart.

My real world gas mileage (I generally drive agressively) has been about 22-23mpg in town with nothing but stop and go. On the highway I get about 32-33mpg loaded down with 2 kids and luggage and drving about 75-80mph. That is great when you consider I don't drive like an old grandma

Toyota was also willing to sell this vehicle *BELOW* invoice price posted on www.edmunds.com. So was nissan with the altima, honda wanted to be right at invoice. So for me Toyota ended up being the better value.

If you do your own maintenance like oil changes, you will like the Toyota better as well. Honda (and same with Nissan) likes to bury the oil filter on the back side of the engine near the firewall. With the I-4 camry, the oil filter is right next to the oil pan and I don't even have to jack the car up to get to either. An oil change is a 5 minute event right where the car happens to be parked (it would take me longer to drive to Jiffy Lube). With the honda or nissan it would require a jack and most likely leave burnt hands somewhere along the line.

I am sure you will be happy with either choice, in other words between the Accord and the Camry there is no loser. Both are great cars. If you can swing it, drive them both within 15 minutes of each other and compare. The rest will be up to ergomonics and that will be whatever fits your taste/style. I am an old married guy with 2 kids, so having a car with 'soul' or being sporty don't really matter to me.
Old 08-21-05, 01:40 PM

I regularly get 27mpg with my xle v6 Camry, but I am mostly highway driving.. Still not to shabby.
Old 08-21-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for the Accord. I have a 05' Silver V6-EX and I love it. Very sharp car.
Old 08-21-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, just as I thought. It's a dead heat between the two.

According to Consumer Reports, if all things are equal, cars with stability control should be considered over those without. Is that worth $1500 additional cost?
Old 08-21-05, 08:38 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by garolo
OK, just as I thought. It's a dead heat between the two.

According to Consumer Reports, if all things are equal, cars with stability control should be considered over those without. Is that worth $1500 additional cost?
The question is, is it worth it to you? It wouldn't be worth it for me. Maybe you can use that leverage with the Toyota dealer, tell him/her that you want the Camry, but don't want to pay $1500 more for it. Say that if they match the price of the Accord, you'll buy it now. If that doesn't work, walk away.
Old 08-22-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm looking to replace my problem plagued Taurus ...
Yeah, I know about troubles with Taurus'. I've never owned one, my current car is a '99 Accord, but a friend had his '03 Taurus at my house tonight. Couldn't get it started, turned out it was out of gas. My Accord has *never* run out of gas on me.

Seriously though (though my Accord really has never run out of gas on me), take a test drive in both. You can't go wrong with either one. I highly recommend the four cylinder with manual transmission, I remember that one complaint of the 6th generation of Accords ('98 through '02) was that they were sluggish. Well, they were sluggish with automatic transmission, my Accord is very peppy. Plus with a manual transmission you'll get better gas mileage (and never run out of gasoline, from my experience, the Taurus was an automatic), better control of the car, and better passing at highway speeds (drop it to 4th or even 3rd).

As for the stability control, I wouldn't want it on an Accord unless I drove on snow on a regular basis. It has a low center of gravity, you're fine making relatively sharp curves. Now, if I were buying a truck, SUV, or a van, I'd want it.

Last edited by Heat; 08-22-05 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-22-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

not sure if the issues have been resolved, but Camry had sludge issues, Accord had gearbox issues.

my co-worker's 2004 RSX had a grinding noise on his tranny, so he had the syncros replaced.
Old 08-27-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, if anyone cares this is the one I bought today. (OK not this exact one but the color, make and model)
Old 08-27-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

OK, if anyone cares this is the one I bought today. (OK not this exact one but the color, make and model)

score!

congrats!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.