Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Building new house question - Tyvek

Old 08-20-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Building new house question - Tyvek

Anyone have any info or opinions on Tyvek? It would cost us an extra $2,000 to have it and our builder says that he is not sure that it is worth it. My friend who recently built a house has it and everyone he knows has used it. Opinions?

Last edited by Ketamine; 08-20-05 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-20-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you mean Tyvek?

http://construction.tyvek.com/en/pro...ap/index.shtml

The most critical thing is that it be installed correctly. Just having it won't help much if it is not applied to exact installation instructions.

With the rising costs of energy, it is indeed worth it over the long haul. As well as insulated windows and maybe having some extra insulation in your walls and attic.
Old 08-20-05, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Do you mean Tyvek?

http://construction.tyvek.com/en/pro...ap/index.shtml

The most critical thing is that it be installed correctly. Just having it won't help much if it is not applied to exact installation instructions.

With the rising costs of energy, it is indeed worth it over the long haul. As well as insulated windows and maybe having some extra insulation in your walls and attic.
Yeah, Tyvek. Looks like we will save $310+ per year so in about 6 years it should pay for itself, not to mention increased resale value. Looks like we should do it with that information. Thanks for the link. Any other opinions?
Old 08-20-05, 09:49 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
We don't have it (old house), and I'm waiting until the shingles need replacement so I can rip them off, install Tyvek, then install new shingles. I would do it.
Old 08-21-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, I remember when Tyvec was used for 5.25 disk cases.
Old 08-21-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes the key (like just about anything else) is the correct install. I would be a little nervious if your builder is not really recommending it. To me that means "I don't work with it much, it really slows us down, I'm just going to throw it up with some staples".

I once did some research on repairing it (like if you had damage to your siding). It is repairable (if I remember they have some special tape or something). But overall everything I have read is good so long as install properly.
Old 08-21-05, 02:51 PM

My builder does use it, but just isn't convinced that in the long run we will get our money back on it so he wasn't pushing us to use it. He stated that he wasn't sure if he would use it on his own house which made me think it wasn't needed. The framers will be the one's putting it on and they have been nothing but stellar so far so I'm sure they will also apply the Tyvek correctly, but thanks to everyone who have warned against improper installation. I will have him include the wording in the contract about installing according to the manufacturers recommendations (if we use it which right now we are probably going to do). Other opinions are still welcome though.
Old 08-21-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ketamine - I would have an inspection done on the Tyvek install alone (or read up enough on it that you can inspect it yourself before they cover it up)

Even the best carpenter/framer/construction person will screw it up if they don't take their time and they don't know EXACTLY what they are doing.

If it is not installed correctly, then it is worthless (seriously).
Old 08-21-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://construction.tyvek.com/pdf/K0...oreInstall.pdf
Old 08-22-05, 12:01 PM
Banned

Man, I remember when Tyvek was used for 8 inch disk cases.
Old 08-22-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man I remember when Tyvek was used for Netflix rental cases.
Old 08-22-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tell your contractor to tape up the seams between the Tyvek sheets.
Old 08-22-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
True story...

My grandfather was a DuPont employee for decades and back in '70 (??) or so he brought home a sheet of odd paper with the words "Cut me. Tear me. Burn me." typed on it. We did get it to burn, sort of, but we could'nt cut or tear it for anything. It was a test batch of fire-resistant Tyvek stationery which never got produced.
Old 08-22-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

A Guy Named Mike: Tyvek was used for decades by DuPont until someone thought of the bright idea to sell it as a home-wrap.

I'd do it.
Old 08-22-05, 03:32 PM

I talked to my builder this am and told him I would like to include Tyvek. I told him my concerns about it done correctly and he said that the framers would follow the company's instructions and he would oversee the project. We will see how it goes.
Old 08-22-05, 05:34 PM

Man I remember when Tyvek was used for FedEx envelopes.