Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

20 oz. diet coke.....1 in 4 win!!! or do they?

Old 08-20-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

20 oz. diet coke.....1 in 4 win!!! or do they?

My 20 oz. Diet Coke has a green cap and tells me that 1 in 4 win a free 1 liter of Diet Coke. But when I was in Vegas, my 20 oz. Diet Coke had a tan cap and informed me that 1 in 6 won a 1 liter.

Is this contest regional and they give the Pacific NW a better chance because they don't sell as well here?
Old 08-20-05, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tangentially related, and a fun read:

http://greg.org/archive/2005/07/12/o...e_welfare.html

On The Debilitating Effects Of [Diet Coke] Welfare
So maybe you've noticed the "1 in 12 wins!" promotion campaign on the lids of most Coke products the last few months. As a pathetically, alarmingly addicted, inveterate loyal Diet Coke drinker, I know I have. The lids are on 20-oz and even 2-liter bottles, but the prize is a free 1-liter bottle of product. While I have to admire the company's insidiously effective strategy of getting America to change its idea of a serving of Coke [over the years, we've gone from 8-oz glass bottles, to 12-oz cans, to 20-oz bottles, and now to 1-liter, or, in NYC's case, 1.5-l bottles which are, that word again, insidiously easy enough to drink out of], I have to say, from where I sit, the campaign is an utter and complete failure; it has turned my Diet Coke buying and consuming experience into an annoying, shame-filled, welfare hell.

It's not that I never win; that's not a problem. It's that many retailers refuse to redeem the little caps, even if they sell product with the contest-bearing lids, and even if they carry 1-liter bottles (which turn out to be in far fewer distribution channels/retailer types than you might expect, especially in DC and NYC where we live). And it's not like I can tell you which kind of retailers reject them; I've had it happen at grocery stores, 7-11's, gas stations, Korean delis, newsstands, bodegas, on the NJ Turnpike (where I've won at one rest stop and was unable to redeem at another), chain drug stores--there's no way to know if you'll fail without trying.

It doesn't take many failed attempts to redeem a winning cap, which have involved confounding--and even angry--explanations from store managers about how Coke won't credit them for the freebies, or how they don't use a Coke distributor so they're not participating in the campaign, etc.--to make one weary of the fight for one's right to free soda. Except that it's not a right, it's an entitlement. Welfare.

You're reduced, essentially, to begging for a dollar (or $1.50-1.75, usually) from a diffident cashier or a put-upon manager, when it's obvious that you can afford it, you cheap bastard, trying to get something for nothing. Meanwhile, the line builds up behind you, and now you're the jerk who's holding everyone up for what, a dollar? I'll give you a dollar to get out of the way and let me buy these Pampers, ya junkie!

But it's not like I sought this out; I didn't scratch off anything, or Supersize to get two more chances to win. Coke put me in this situation where I feel like a wronged, government-cheese-stealing welfare queen, whose resentment builds with the fresh taunt of each unredeemable winning lid I find; they're lining up on the kitchen window sill pissing me off at this very moment. Now every time I lose, I feel a small sense of relief, one less pang I'll have to endure.

Before I decided to rant--I'll show them, Don't they realize I have a blog??--here, I actually called the Coca Cola company for redress, sure, but also to report that their marketing campaign was having the exact opposite effect on at least one loyal, concerned customer. A very sympathetic representative comforted me, asked who these offending retailers were (um, all of them? I got so ashamed, I stopped trying. choke back the pent-up tears.), and asked would I be willing to speak with someone from the marketing and promotion department within 7-10 days? Sure, of course, I just want what's best for you, Diet Coke.

She took down my number, and then she offered to mail me eight coupons for free 2-liter bottles. No offensee, I said, but the one time I called to get my money back from a Coke machine, I got one of your corporate coupons, and I couldn't find a retailer who'd take it.

[update: my wife reminds me of a recent development, where I was able to use a bottlecap at the on-campus "grocery" store at Georgetown, where we'd taken the kid to the pediatrician. I figured it was because these college students were Coke's most important customers (and also their cheapest and most demanding, and with the most unalloyed sense of entitlement and self-absorption)... Oh, Diet Coke, you know me so well. I could never stay mad at you...]
Old 08-20-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't consumed a carbonated beverage since 2003. So I guess I win every time eh? Coke loses my revenues, eh!

I miss Diet Coke
Old 08-20-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I opened 2 in 3 days and they both won!

YAY!!!

(Back in 1961. )

THAT LUCKY OL' -OHBTHEEK!-
Old 08-20-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While I have to admire the company's insidiously effective strategy of getting America to change its idea of a serving of Coke [over the years, we've gone from 8-oz glass bottles, to 12-oz cans, to 20-oz bottles, and now to 1-liter, or, in NYC's case, 1.5-l bottles which are, that word again, insidiously easy enough to drink out of

1.5 liters is 50.7 ounces. If you're swigging those down like it's a single-serve bottle, you've got a serious problem.
Old 08-20-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Edit King
I opened 2 in 3 days and they both won!

YAY!!!

(Back in 1961. )

THAT LUCKY OL' -OHBTHEEK!-
Lies! They didn't have the technology to print on bottlecaps in 1961! You must've seen it on The Jetsons or something.
Old 08-20-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TracerBullet

1.5 liters is 50.7 ounces. If you're swigging those down like it's a single-serve bottle, you've got a serious problem.
My name is kvrdave, and I have a serious problem
Old 08-20-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now we know why THEEK is so he drank Coke by the case when coke had coke in it.

Yes Coke had cocaine it at one time -jawdrop:

at least that's what the old folks tell me

Old 08-20-05, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Now we know why THEEK is so he drank Coke by the case when coke had coke in it.

Yes Coke had cocaine it at one time -jawdrop:
He's safe (for now), they stopped that by 1929.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp
Old 08-20-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
We should definitely start a group.
Old 08-20-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ah, thanks for the link that was a good read
Old 08-20-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When you buy the product when you want to drink the contents, then you win. If you buy the product to play the game, they win.
Old 08-20-05, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We've been winning almost every time. I wish they'd give out better prizes, like maybe a new house or something cool like that.
Old 08-20-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Tell me something I don't know.

Old 08-21-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[norm macdonald] happy birthday jesus. hope you like crap. [norm macdonald]
Old 08-21-05, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hardly ever win, as I don't drink much soda. But, whenever I did, I never had any trouble redeeming them. I think the Pepsi itunes thing is much wiser. I drank more Pepsi's than usual from the store in the hopes of scoring free music.
Old 08-21-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
We've been winning almost every time. I wish they'd give out better prizes, like maybe a new house or something cool like that.
You're just trying to rub Dave's nose in it, aren't you? I don't know what you're babbling on about anyway. I've already won 3 new houses and a big screen tv.
Old 08-22-05, 02:58 PM
Banned

I've never had anybody refuse to accept those winning cap things. I've been in the darkest backwater holes in Alabama and they've always taken 'em.

I do agree that the ever increasing serving is getting ridiculous. All the ones I've won recently have been for 1-liters, and frankly I just don't drink that much soda in a sitting. I usually redeem the things when I'm driving somewhere, and 1-liter is too much. It'll be warm by the time I reach the bottom, and then I gotta piss like a racehorse, so it's just overkill.

I've gone almost completely off carbonated beverages as a result. Red Bull or Amp to keep me awake and alert, and a Powerade to keep me hydrated (considering the amount of dehumifying AC needed to survive the summers). The one exception is Jones Soda, which I buy by the case or five every time I'm in a Target. Love that stuff.

I just wish Bawls had better distribution. Love that stuff too.
Old 08-22-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Just trade them in for 20 oz. ones. Most seem to believe that is what they are for. Actually had a guy only give me a 20 oz one and I had to put the 1 liter back.
Old 08-22-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've started to see a couple places here in town that just won't accept them; I remember one of the winning caps I tried to redeem was for a free coke with lime, but I didn't want no damn lime. So I asked if I could get a regular coke instead. First they said no, then they said yeah, but they had to charge me tax. Lately, I've been buying the non-contest half-liter coke sixpacks, which is a nice amount. A liter or more is just crazy. Of course, all this while I'm trying to wean myself off carbonated beverages. Good luck with that, huh?

sitting on my desk, unredeemed:
Carmike Buy Med Coke Get Sm Corn
Carmike Free Sm Corn W/ Dasani
like they'll get used