Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Do you spy on your kids?

Old 08-19-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you spy on your kids?

no need for a poll

I'm watchin 20/20 and they have this wacko mom that put a camera into her son's room and watches him every 15 minutes. Do a lot of people really do this?
Old 08-19-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

God I hope not.
Old 08-19-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh good Lord no. If it's quiet then they're up to something bad and I have to go beat them. If it's noisey then I have to go beat them.

Old 08-19-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I spy on other people's kids
Old 08-19-05, 09:33 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I don't spy on them via video cameras or audio recording or anything like that. I will look around their rooms, especially as my oldest moves into his teenage years. I've made it very clear to them that they should have no expectation of privacy for the stuff in their rooms. I won't read letters/notes, personal journals, etc, but if I find drugs, alcohol or weapons it will be because I was looking for them.
Old 08-19-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just read this seconds before this thread:

Father In Trouble For Spying On Daughter

08-19-2005 2:24 PM

(Springfield Township, OH) -- Police in Springfield Township arrested a 51-year-old father on charges of voyeurism. Lowell Longshore allegedly had been watching his 19 year old stepdaughter through a fiber-optic camera in the shower. The camera was discovered Thursday morning by the girl, who notified her mother. Longshore was taken into custody, but was released after being booked at the Summit County Jail, because of jail overcrowding. The charge is a misdemeanor.
Old 08-19-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. Not with a camera.
Old 08-19-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shit, if I had a 19 year old step daughter, you better be sure I'll be watching her.
Old 08-20-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-20-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Shit, if I had a 19 year old step daughter, you better be sure I'll be watching her.
Just because you're married doesn't mean the mother/daughter sexual fantasy is out of your grasp.
Old 08-20-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk God

I wouldn't have any problem going through their stuff, but I wouldn't use a camera. I would agree with what Bando wrote.
Old 08-20-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I knew this one guy, he and his mom read his sister diary. She was a wild one. He wasn't, more of the take cousin to prom guy so his mom didn't need to watch him.
Old 08-20-05, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

big diffrence between snooping around your kids room for weapons and sticking a camera in the shower....

i'm sure he was just making sure she wasn't doing crack in the shower....sheesh

Bando nailed it
Old 08-20-05, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
Bando nailed it
Bando nailed that guy's 19 year old step-daughter? Way to go Bando!
Old 08-20-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Bandoman hit it I sure would
Old 08-20-05, 07:58 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
What did I do now?
Old 08-20-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always had problems with my grandmother, who I lived with, going into my room and reading my journal and my letters, etc. She went through my dresser drawers, accused me of screwing everyone in the freaking town, had me on the shortest leash you could imagine. Got a job for me with her so she and her cronies could spy on me, wouldn't let me get a driver's license and even in college, my curfew was 9 PM.

Kicker is, I wasn't my mom. I didn't get pregnant too young (hell, I'm 30 and they're all on my ass to get pregnant after years, YEARS of accusing me of being a slut, etc. and threatening me if I ever got pregnant). I didn't even have sex in high school! I had 2 boyfriends, one dork and then the guy I married and we only started seeing each other my last month of high school. I was almost the perfect high schooler, always doing well, making great grades, excelling in after-school activities, deeply involved in the church and all that. But to hear her talk, you'd think I was some wild child in weekend orgies while shooting up and getting drunk.

But you know what bothered me more than that? My father-in-law--before I got married--used to open my husband's credit card statements and bitch him out for how he spent his money.
Old 08-20-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You guys misinterpreted Bando's actions. He nailed the crack in the shower thinking it was a glory hole.
Old 08-20-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not with camera's or software, but we have a "no locked doors" rule. I don't mind my son (14) closing his door as I don't like to listen to his music. But it is agreed on by all that I or mom can walk in without knocking at anytime. We also do thinks like sometimes putting away his clothing (instead of him doing it), cleaning their bathroom, so we know what is in there and what is not. But to be honest it has more to do with making sure they are not wasting their contact lenes, soap, etc then anything. Also when I know he is IMing folks I will sit and ask who he is chatting with and if I don't know them, I make sure my wife does.
Old 08-20-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mrs. Pusser said the kid's computer in their playroom will never be hooked up to the internet. They'd probably start surfing DVD Talk and that can lead to all kinds of trouble.
Old 08-20-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Not with camera's or software, but we have a "no locked doors" rule. I don't mind my son (14) closing his door as I don't like to listen to his music. But it is agreed on by all that I or mom can walk in without knocking at anytime.
You don't think a 14 year old deserves a little privacy?

I predict a quick end to this policy the first time you or your wife walk in on him rubbing one out.
Old 08-20-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He'll probably use the bathroom or their bed when they're out for the night.
Old 08-20-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PrincessT
I always had problems with my grandmother, who I lived with, going into my room and reading my journal and my letters, etc. She went through my dresser drawers, accused me of screwing everyone in the freaking town, had me on the shortest leash you could imagine. Got a job for me with her so she and her cronies could spy on me, wouldn't let me get a driver's license and even in college, my curfew was 9 PM.

Kicker is, I wasn't my mom. I didn't get pregnant too young (hell, I'm 30 and they're all on my ass to get pregnant after years, YEARS of accusing me of being a slut, etc. and threatening me if I ever got pregnant). I didn't even have sex in high school! I had 2 boyfriends, one dork and then the guy I married and we only started seeing each other my last month of high school. I was almost the perfect high schooler, always doing well, making great grades, excelling in after-school activities, deeply involved in the church and all that. But to hear her talk, you'd think I was some wild child in weekend orgies while shooting up and getting drunk.

But you know what bothered me more than that? My father-in-law--before I got married--used to open my husband's credit card statements and bitch him out for how he spent his money.
Did your future FIL pay the bill for him, or something?
Old 08-20-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Mrs. Pusser said the kid's computer in their playroom will never be hooked up to the internet. They'd probably start surfing DVD Talk and that can lead to all kinds of trouble.
I know DVDTalk ruined me.
Old 08-20-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This thread title reinforces my decision not to ever have kids.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.