Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else hate their mailman? I sure hate mine.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-19-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I had a friend move in with me back in June in order to cut back on rent & utility expenses. For some reason at that time, my mailman decided that, since mail with my new roommate's name started coming to my apt., I must've moved. The jackass starts slapping 'Return to sender, no longer at this address, no forwarding address on file' on all my mail. The amount of effort it took to get this fixed was mindblowing.

First of all, I called the USPS 800# multiple times, who finally told me to contact my local post office. I called my local post office and they said to come in and talk to a supervisor. I came in and the supervisor on duty said to come back between 6am and 7am, before the office is even open, and to knock on the door until they answered and talk to the delivery supervisor, who apparently goes home at 7am. I do this. I do all of it. Meanwhile, bills, packages, letters and invitations are all being returned to sender, so I'm juggling contacting utility companies, credit card companies, my bank, online retailers, etc., letting them all know that I have not, in fact, moved and to please either resend my bills/packages/etc. or to forward them to my office address. After an unholy amount of communication with varying levels of people at USPS, my mail starts coming again in mid July. This was really great for about 2 weeks.

First week of August, same thing starts happening again. Since I've already talked to most of these bozos once and they do actually seem to keep some documentation, the problem gets fixed much quicker this time. Unfortunately, it's not fixed before, among other things, my car registration renewal is returned to sender, resulting in me having to pay 3 separate visits to the BMV, another useless bureaucracy, in order to get a replacement sticker for my license plate. Hell though, at least my mail was coming. Well, for 2 more weeks anyway.

Yesterday, I check the status of orders from 2 different companies that I was supposed to receive packages from this week and BOTH have been returned to sender with a label saying I've moved. A couple phone calls reveal the same has happened with my utility bills. So far, when this happens, I've been calling the utility companies, asking for my balance and just sending money directly from my checking account, but I know it's just a matter of time before one of them gets one too many returned pieces of mail, decides I've moved and disconnects my power/water/gas.

Anyway, I spent an hour on the phone with a supervisor from the USPS 800# last night. After going back through all the documentation they have on my problems, he tells me someone will be speaking directly to my mail carrier and calling me today to let me know 1) what's been causing the problem to recur when it's already been brought to their attention and 2) that it's fixed for good. This appeases me and I get off the phone sure that someone will be calling me first thing this morning.

It's 2pm here. No phone call. Any wagers on whether I'll get one today? Anyone else ever have similar problems? Any theories on why the hell my mailman is doing this? Is he a moran? Does he hate me? Am I part of some government experiment to see if an ordinary man can be driven to violence and/or insanity by something so small as his mail not being delivered? If I don't get a call today, I'm seriously considering setting up camp by my mailbox in the morning, to talk to this idiot mailman face to face when he comes around.
Old 08-19-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, why not try talking to him face to face if it doesn't get better? My mailman does a great job. No complaints.
Old 08-19-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder what they would do if you left a forwarding address with your current address?
Old 08-19-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Actually, why not try talking to him face to face if it doesn't get better?
How many hours have you invested, when this could have been accomplished in about 30 seconds?
Old 08-19-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
How many hours have you invested, when this could have been accomplished in about 30 seconds?
Well, weekdays are out because of work. I've been taking a lot of weekend trips lately and can't even remember the last time I was actually home on a Saturday when my mail came. And I don't know if talking to him would even work. Keep in mind, the problem has been 'fixed' 2x now and then, after a couple weeks of getting my mail, the guy will start back up with his labels for some inexplicable reason. I suppose I could just make a big sign that says 'Mail for Jim May goes here!' and nail it above my mailbox, though I'm not sure how that would go over with my apt. community...

I do like the idea of filling out a forwarding form with my current address on it. Maybe that'd get it through his head.
Old 08-19-05, 02:48 PM

"Oh yeah, well I hate you too!!!"
Old 08-19-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you remember your mailman at Christmas? Maybe you should this year.
Old 08-19-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've had similar problems with Verizon on my phone before. I had to switch companies to get rid of the problem. I also have terrible mail delivery. I often don't get my mail but do bet mail for other addresses, often addresses with no similarity to mine. I've complained to the post office and it gets better for a while, but eventually it gets bad again.
Old 08-19-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First, if you haven't already, call your local branch and ask for the postmaster. Or find out where the main distribution branch is and ask for that postmaster.

The only problem I have with my mail lady, is I think she will do anything to get out of delivering the mail, and it's a rural route, so she drives it.

I've seen her in the snow pull up to the neighbor's box and practically lean her whole upper body out and put his mail in, then drive by me and the next two houses.
I also suspect she has skipped my house when I was getting construction done and they were parking on the street. There was plenty of room around the box.
And, one time in the summer I saw her get out and walk through my lawn sprinkler.

I have a friend that works for the P.O. and he was saying he hears about this all the time, and it just comes down to them not wanting to do their job. He said he will go out of his way, for example if someone got the box knocked off by a bat and it was sitting in the middle of the yard, he would go get it, put the mail in it, and put it on/near the post.
Old 08-19-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My mailman's awesome. I always feel bad when it's snowy and cold as hell out, trekking through the snow to deliver all that mail
He does his job well, although last week I got a couple of items from of my neighbor's.
Old 08-19-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Hello Jerry!"

"Hello... Newman."
Old 08-19-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hate, no. But, I think he/she is kinda a jerk. I know the mailman isn't required to pick up mail, only deliver it, but traditionally they will pick up mail too.

However, at my apartment, I've seen the outgoing mail put on top of the mailboxes (presumably by the mailman) instead of it being taken. Just a few days ago, there was a netflix envelope that was meant to be sent back to Netflix that was sitting on top of the mailbox.

I've left mail a couple times to go out and it was never picked up. I now send all my outgoing mail at work.

I also frequently get other people's mail put in my box when there isn't an apartment # listed... It's like he picks an apartment at random if there is no # listed.

Dork.
Old 08-19-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I know the mailman isn't required to pick up mail, only deliver it, but traditionally they will pick up mail too.
Yeah, how does that work? If it's a home, they will definitely pick it up (that's what the little red flag is for), so why not for apartments? Insane.
Old 08-19-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My problem has always been with others in the neighborhood.

Old 08-19-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OP, obviously you know nothing about the nature of the U.S. Postal Dept.with regards to their handling of complaints. I'll let this guy explain it.

"You're in trouble. I shouldn't even be talking to you, but
I'm telling you as a friend. Here's how it's going to happen: you may be
walking. Maybe on a crisp, autumn day just like today. When a mail truck will
slow beside you, and a door will open, and a mailman you know, maybe even
trust, will offer to give you a lift. And no one will ever see you again!"

Last edited by cdollaz; 08-19-05 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-19-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My mail doesn't get here until 4 or 5 in the afternoon. I live in an apt. as well and when there's no # on a letter it gets put into my box cause I'm in apt. #1.
Old 08-19-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I assume you're familiar with the phrase "going postal".

Tread lightly, I say.
Old 08-19-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had issues with my mail lady in the past. She delivered the mail fine and took anything I left in the box, but she would go through great pains to not bring the mail to the door on heavy mail days. So there have been quite a few times where the mail has been jammed in the box so tight that I could barely get it out. This usually happened when I got some parcel that was just small enough to fit in our mail box, but that parcel plus the junkmail, plus magazines and stuff = just too much shit for the box. She's gone now and the new dude always leave any boxes on our porch which pleases me greatly.
Old 08-19-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Slightly off-topic, but it's something I've wondered about, and maybe someone here knows the answer.

What detemines where or how mail is delivered? i.e., will the mail be delivered to your door, a mailbox on the street, a "community" mailbox?
Mail is currently delivered to our mailbox at the end our driveway (we live in a cul-de-sac). In our last house, the mail was delivered to a box on our front porch. Before that, I lived in an apartment complex, and mail was delivered to a common mailbox area that tenants had individual keys to. When I lived in Michigan, I was required to rent a mailbox at the Post Office, because mail was not delivered in (a very small) town. What gives? It costs the same to mail an item, regardless of whether the carrier will hand it to you personally, or if you have to drive to the Post Office to get it.
Old 08-19-05, 05:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

"Well, gosh, I sure am sorry Jim! I didn't mean to make ya sore at me."
Old 08-19-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't you just leave a note saying two people are living there now and stick it in your box?
Old 08-19-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My mailman has returned a few letters (bills, gifts) to me as "return to sender" even though I had been living there for a long time and the address was perfect. It happened on two separate occasions. The first time I talked to the manager and it stopped for awhile. The second time I talked to the mailman directly and it hasn't happened since.

My dad used to be a mail carrier (now he's got a cushy USPS office job). When I griped about it to him he told me to talk to the supervisor, but he admitted that it won't do much good, since it's IMPOSSIBLE to fire carriers unless they're, like, stealing mail or something. Extreme incompetence is not a terminating offense, apparently. He's pretty much said that most carriers are extremely lazy.
Old 08-19-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We love our mailman. We'll leave out an envelope with 5 bucks in it and an note that says: "Dwight, will you please post?" and takes the packages for us and posts them and returns the change.

We like him so much we named our youngest son after him. Kinda favors too, now that I think on it....
Old 08-19-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
My dad used to be a mail carrier (now he's got a cushy USPS office job). When I griped about it to him he told me to talk to the supervisor, but he admitted that it won't do much good, since it's IMPOSSIBLE to fire carriers unless they're, like, stealing mail or something. Extreme incompetence is not a terminating offense, apparently. He's pretty much said that most carriers are extremely lazy.
Probably cause those who aren't lazy get cushy office jobs.

My bro-in law also works for the USPS and he also has an office job. He's a driver instructor.
Old 08-19-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had some problem with my mail a while ago. I went to my local post office to talk to the mail carrier. But I was told there are more than 1 mail carrier for my route. So in order to get my message to ALL the mail carriers, I wrote a letter addressed to my mail carrier, then I leave the letter in my mailbox. I do this for all 6 days in a week so I can make sure my letter is seen by all the mail carriers.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.