Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How should i negotiate for a new car?

Old 08-19-05, 04:04 AM

How should i negotiate for a new car?

This is my first time buying a car and i've never negotiated before. I'm want to but the Mazda3 s 2005. With the options its going for $20000, if i'm going to put 50% down, how should i play my cards to get a good deal? and what's a realistic amount that i would get off the sticker price? Thanks
Old 08-19-05, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i used carsdirect.com and printed out what i wanted.they had almost what i wanted but it had upgrades...i told them tough id go somewhere else and after 4 Hours they finaly matched it....

2003 ford van 25.5 sticker for 17.5.....

i tried the same for my wifes Camery but it did not work.

good luck,stay firm,tell them you`ll go somewhere else,and take your time.
Old 08-19-05, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NYSoprano
This is my first time buying a car and i've never negotiated before. I'm want to but the Mazda3 s 2005. With the options its going for $20000, if i'm going to put 50% down, how should i play my cards to get a good deal? and what's a realistic amount that i would get off the sticker price? Thanks
My wife got a 2004 Mazda 3 (the 5 door one, I don't remember what it's called) It was loaded with all the options except the Map System. I went in say that I would not pay a cent over $20,000 and there first offer was like $20,200. I wasn't ecpecting that so I threw out $19,800 or something like that and after talking to the "manager" they gave it to us at that price. If I had known about Edmunds then I would have used that to come up with a price

Despite being in sales I suck at negotiating so I hate buying cars. I think next time I'll just get quotes for a few places and have them compete against each other. That seems like the easiest way to do it.
Old 08-19-05, 06:42 AM

Send an email to all of the dealerships that are within your area saying what kind of car you want and an idea of how much you are willing to pay. Make sure they know that you are sending it to all the dealerships and wait for them to to start trying to steal a sale from their rivals. It worked for my Brother-in-Law once so it might be worth a shot.
Old 08-19-05, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I say screw that negotiating crap.. Decide on a price your willing to pay and one that is not too outlandish that they would never go for. Call them, email them, or go there and tell them you are ready to buy. You will pay X amount of dollars and if they can't do that you will buy somewhere else.
Old 08-19-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You may see if you can get S Plan for Mazda. If the company you work for has the X plan you should be able to get it.
Old 08-19-05, 07:57 AM

at this point, an '05 should be sold for invoice - any incentives they have, at most. you could probably even go into their holdback.
Old 08-19-05, 08:01 AM

Old 08-19-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
You may see if you can get S Plan for Mazda. If the company you work for has the X plan you should be able to get it.
And there aren't any negotions with the "plans". It is a set price.
Here is a list of some of the companies. The "S" plan is Mazdas equivelant of Ford's "X" plan.

The above list is alot shorter that the "X plan list I have/had.
Old 08-19-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

1st thing is don't go in thinking you will get the car "cheaper then anyone else ever has". It is not a contest. Think of it like when you fly. The person on one side of you might have gotten his ticket for less, jut the person on the other side of you might have paid more. Just the way it works.
2nd go in with what you want to spend. Personally I would recommend NOT buying from the 1st place you go. Just stick to your pricing and if they won't give it to you walk out. Then go to another dealer. You will soon figure out if you are being realistic or not.
3rd if you did not buy from that 1st dealer, but then realize they had the best deal, just go back. And just be honest, you looked around and decided to take their offer. They are not going to "rub it in your face". Again they are pro's and the idea is to get the car for the price you want (or hopefully as low as you can get it).
Old 08-19-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Why not do it by email? Tell them that you are checking with CarsDirect and three other dealerships in your area. You want to get an idea of what you can get.
Old 08-19-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just curious, why can't the OP find the out what the dealers price was for what he wants and go from there (expecting to pay a few percent above)?

Or is the best way to do what others have said and let the dealers fight it out themselves?
Old 08-19-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Flashback
Just curious, why can't the OP find the out what the dealers price was for what he wants and go from there (expecting to pay a few percent above)?

Or is the best way to do what others have said and let the dealers fight it out themselves?
I always go to: Edmunds-Mazda
To find out the dealer pricing. This will include the dealer holdback (kickback), but nothing you can do about that.
Select the Style of Car
Select The Options
Select the color
Enter Your Zip
Click on the red "TMV Pricing Report Button"
And it will give you the MSRP and Invoice (dealer invoice w/holdback)

Remember, as Sdallnct mentioned, you are in control or your money. You have to be strong and hold to a "X" price and stick with it no matter what. Also trade-in's and finanacing are moneymakers for dealers, so beware!

I had a few threads discussing car buying before, but I haven't dug them up....

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 08-19-05 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-19-05, 02:14 PM

Thanks for all the advise. With tax and everything it will all come out to around 23K, is requesting 20000 unrealistic?
Old 08-19-05, 02:20 PM

Also should i wait for the new 2006 or get the 2005 now? I really need a car now because school starts in a one week.
Old 08-19-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Honestly I wouldn't even buy new. Try to find a used model. For example...

I want to get a Nissan Maxima. I want the newer body style so that only includes 2004-2005 (the 06's are supposed to come out next month). Now, these sticker around $28,000 (average). I will only pay $20,000 for one. I have been emailing dealers for the past month and will continue to until I get it at that price. They are around $23,000 used (with about 25,000 - 30,000 miles).

Think about that. I will never buy used again. I can get a car that is practically brand new for about $5,000 - $10,000 cheaper.
Old 08-19-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is a perfect example.

2005 Mazda 3 S Sedan. - 4,000 Miles - Leather - $17,900

And that is without trying to get them lower.
Old 08-19-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A Scion TC has menu pricing, so there's no hassle of negotiating - you get the same price everywhere. No markups or going back and forth with the pit manager. Just buy it. It's also around or under your price.
Old 08-19-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Why would you ever put 10K down on a car?
Old 08-19-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Because he wants to pay off the debt faster. Why not? Can you get a better deal without down payment?
Old 08-19-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

lower payments also - less to be financed. Should he invest his 10k in the stock market instead?
Old 08-19-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think you can get a better deal if you didn't put a down payment.. Actually a lot of dealers like the fact if you already have the cash (check) on you..

For example. You want to pay $X amount of dollars... Take that with you and offer them the $X and say you have it right here ready to buy...
Old 08-19-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Here is a perfect example.

2005 Mazda 3 S Sedan. - 4,000 Miles - Leather - $17,900

And that is without trying to get them lower.
Exactly. We did this and it is the only way to go anymore.

We bought a 2003 Saturn VUE (in Jan '04) that had 5,000 miles on it. It was fully loaded, AWD, V6, Leather, Roof Rack, sun roof, chrome wheels, power/AC/cruise pack, etc. Retailed for $28,000+ with all those options. Got it for $19,000.
Old 08-19-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tbird2340
I say screw that negotiating crap.. Decide on a price your willing to pay and one that is not too outlandish that they would never go for. Call them, email them, or go there and tell them you are ready to buy. You will pay X amount of dollars and if they can't do that you will buy somewhere else.
I agree. Start with cars direct, pick your options, and offer them 400-500 less after rebates, before tax. That will be pretty darn close to their lowest price. CD accounts for rebates and incentives. if you email, you are more likely to get the deal through their fleet sales. Tell them you will pay x amount TODAY.

Originally Posted by NYSoprano
Thanks for all the advise. With tax and everything it will all come out to around 23K, is requesting 20000 unrealistic?
Don't include tax and licenses in your price calculation. if you must, back out 10% first(for california anyways), then go for that. Tax and licensing is required for all sales. If you ask for $x "out the door", they just do the math and find out the price is a couple higher than their lowest price, sold with a couple hundred dollars more profit.
Old 08-19-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like buying used also, but be carefull. a car with 5k miles from a dealership is 99% chance of being a demo car. Great options on the top model usually, but typically driven very hard without breaking in(friends that were sales managers confirmed). I'm not discouraging it, just be carefull. The dealers can usually go a lot lower, and this takes a lot more haggling skills.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.