Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Bad Streak is Over

Old 08-18-05, 11:56 PM

Bad Streak is Over

Playing in a free tournament tonight on partypoker for big-boys.com.

Started with close to 2,000 players. I'm currently in 2nd place 4 hours in with 33 players left. First prize is $1K. I'm currently in the money for $20, which is fine with me since I had none to start with. Hopefully, I can keep this up!
Old 08-19-05, 12:17 AM

Dropped about half my chips in one hand. Had A8, raised preflop...the pot was 96K. Flop came out 3-4-8 rainbow. I bet 50K, everyone folded except one who went all-in ... 20K for me to call, I had to. He had AA. Didn't see that coming since I was on the button and was the one who made the raise pre-flop.

Still at $80K with 21 players left.
Old 08-19-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

and the finish...
Old 08-19-05, 08:19 AM

Finished at about 1:30am. Ended up in 9th place...which is pretty good considering 2,000 players. 9th got $75, so that's cool. Got into a pot with the chip leader and was pot committed...had to call his raise on the river. That crippled my stack and I was out on the next hand. Good time though.
Old 08-19-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Tygan, congrats on 9th place!

I dunno man, I don't believe in the saying "pot committed". There's always time to laydown a hand when you think you're going to be beat.
Old 08-19-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk God

If you have 3/4ths of your stack committed to a pot, and the blinds are big enough, pot committed is a very valid term.
Old 08-19-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice finish! Now buy into a 50$ MTT and double your excitement!
Old 08-19-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
If you have 3/4ths of your stack committed to a pot, and the blinds are big enough, pot committed is a very valid term.
yeah, I think it all comes down to the blinds. I don't buy the term if the blinds are low. Once the money goes in it isn't your money, thinking it is and holding on to that notion leads to losses. But, if your remaining stack is very small compared to the blinds, then pot odds pretty much demand you take a swing at it.
Old 08-19-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Nice job. I have never played a free roll, but probably should try one out some day.
Old 08-19-05, 12:00 PM

At that point, the blinds were 15K, and I would have had only 60K left with over 300K in the pot. The guy had bluffed plenty of times before...oh well. I think I made the right decision..it was still a damn good time.
Old 08-19-05, 12:34 PM

Nothing wrong with that. I finished a 2000 person tourny the other night in 18th place. I lost on a bad hand. I was BB with Q3, everyone folded and the SB called. Flop comes up for 2 3 3. Sweet, flopped a set off the flop. SB bets out, I call. Turn card is a 5. He checks, I bet a fair amount, he comes over the top. Fuck, I am thinking to myself he probably is going for a straight. He flops over A4 so he caught his straight on the turn.

What are the chances. That win would have put me 1st in chips. Oh well thats poker, I was happy with my play
Old 08-19-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ElementZ
I was happy with my play
You shouldn't be. Should have raised him on the flop instead of calling. Only 4 hands have you beat at that point (A3, K3, 32, and 22). I'd put him on a bluff or semi-bluff with this bet on the flop, and you should have definitely raised him.
Old 08-19-05, 01:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Tygan
Dropped about half my chips in one hand. Had A8, raised preflop...the pot was 96K. Flop came out 3-4-8 rainbow. I bet 50K, everyone folded except one who went all-in ... 20K for me to call, I had to. He had AA. Didn't see that coming since I was on the button and was the one who made the raise pre-flop.

Still at $80K with 21 players left.
Pretty aggressive play for A8, was it even suited?
Old 08-19-05, 02:04 PM

I was on the button, no raise preflop with quite a few limping in, so I raised it up. Didn't weed them out like I wanted to, but didn't figure anyone for a pair with no one raising in front of me. And yes, it was suited. Post flop, I had top pair with a strong kicker. Figured no one would have caught 2 pair, so at worst case scenario was that someone else caught a piece of the board. Plus, I would have been happy taking the pot. I'm not ashamed of the play...two hands later, I took the chips back from the guy who had AA anyways.
Old 08-19-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

[mike sexton] beware the limper!
Old 08-19-05, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
You shouldn't be. Should have raised him on the flop instead of calling. Only 4 hands have you beat at that point (A3, K3, 32, and 22). I'd put him on a bluff or semi-bluff with this bet on the flop, and you should have definitely raised him.
I didn't mean I was happy with my play on that hand, I was satisfied of how I played for the 3 hours in the tournament.

I probably should have reraised him at that point but I didn't because of 2 reasons. 1) The person was chip leader and probably would have called anyways and still hit his straight on the turn. 2) I usually slowplay if I have a set off the flop and get some action going on the turn and river.

Maybe that is the wrong strategy but that usually works for me most times. I was trying to get the most money out of the situation. Like I said it didn't bother me and wasn't a bad beat by any means. Even in retrospect I thought of ways to play it different but knowing me, I probably would have done the exact same thing.

I do think I need to switch my game up in some ways.
Old 08-19-05, 05:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Tygan
I was on the button, no raise preflop with quite a few limping in, so I raised it up. Didn't weed them out like I wanted to, but didn't figure anyone for a pair with no one raising in front of me. And yes, it was suited. Post flop, I had top pair with a strong kicker. Figured no one would have caught 2 pair, so at worst case scenario was that someone else caught a piece of the board. Plus, I would have been happy taking the pot. I'm not ashamed of the play...two hands later, I took the chips back from the guy who had AA anyways.
Not a horrible play by any means. These are usually the type of plays guys go broke with though, at least in my experience. I like this play a lot more heads up or 3 handed than a full table.
Old 08-19-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ElementZ
I probably should have reraised him at that point but I didn't because of 2 reasons. 1) The person was chip leader and probably would have called anyways and still hit his straight on the turn. 2) I usually slowplay if I have a set off the flop and get some action going on the turn and river.
One of the problems is it isn't exactly a set per se, it's trips. Maybe just semantics but trips are a lot more vulnerable than a set in general. Also points 1 and 2 are a little contradictory, you think he would have called a raise but you slowplayed to get action later. If you think the chip leader will call you on a draw when you have a made hand you HAVE to make him pay for that draw, not give him the relatively free card. In a NL tournament if you think you have the best hand and you think your opponent will call there's no reason not to push in on him.
Old 08-19-05, 07:11 PM

set = trips = 3 of a kind?
Old 08-19-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A set is when you have a pair in your hand and a third comes on the board. Trips is when the pair is on the board and you have one in your hand.
Old 08-19-05, 07:35 PM

ahhhhh, ok. I'm a n00b