Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Stoned and on Judge Judy

Old 08-18-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stoned and on Judge Judy

Stoned Plantiff
Old 08-18-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now I know what to do next time I have to defend myself in court.
Old 08-18-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How can she just dismiss it?
Old 08-18-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She should have just found him guilty for being a moron, but I think the likelyhood of him actually paying out any kind of settlement is probably pretty slim.
Old 08-18-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wait wait wait wait....so if your drunk in court...then you can't get sued....

busch league
Old 08-18-05, 11:34 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by Cameron
wait wait wait wait....so if your drunk in court...then you can't get sued....

busch league
Anheiser Busch league.
Old 08-18-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Judge Judy Kicks Arse! &
Old 08-18-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by namrufmot
How can she just dismiss it?
My guess is this. These shows aren't truly courts of law. What they do usually, is make both parties agree to sign a contract that whatever "judge" is hearing the case has final decision on the case. The ruling is binding because it is a contract, not because of law. Since that guy was so obviously faded or drunk, he can't enter into a contract. I'm no lawyer, but that's my guess as to why it was dismissed.
Old 08-18-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The clip was clearly edited to show the guy's responses the most. Judge Judy clearly stated she was forced to dismiss the case because the plantiff was unable to present convincing evidence to win her case. You have to proove your case in court, the judge won't just take your word for it!

And Judge Judy is a real judge, as well as her husband, as well are the judges on People's Court. The ones I question are all the rest. Not naming names, but any other judge show I watch from time to time seems to be a freaking circus, barely above the level of a Jerry Springer episode.
Old 08-18-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Just because she's a real judge, doesn't make her decisions binding. The contract that the participants sign is what makes it binding. So, *technically* she's not a "real" judge. Furthermore, these people come from all over the US where "Judge" Judy has no jurisdiction, even if she were a "real" judge. In essence, she should call herself Arbitrator Judy.
Old 08-19-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Just because she's a real judge, doesn't make her decisions binding. The contract that the participants sign is what makes it binding. So, *technically* she's not a "real" judge. Furthermore, these people come from all over the US where "Judge" Judy has no jurisdiction, even if she were a "real" judge. In essence, she should call herself Arbitrator Judy.
I haven't actually watched Judge Judy in a while, but I watch People's Court from time to time. Is that show different, because I've seen the judge on there rule according to the laws of the state the person is from. I've seen the judge say that New York law is this, but their home state law is something else, and they have to rule according to their home state law.

What do the disclaimers say before or after of these different judge shows about how binding the rulings are?
Old 08-19-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i dont think he is stoned, he might just be plain dumb.
Old 08-19-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by salamander2
i dont think he is stoned, he might just be plain dumb.
I saw this episode. There were some cuts in the WMV that weren't on the episode - they weren't emphasizing his stupidity.

However, you are right salamander. He's a Darwin Award contender.
Old 08-19-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
The clip was clearly edited to show the guy's responses the most. Judge Judy clearly stated she was forced to dismiss the case because the plantiff was unable to present convincing evidence to win her case. You have to proove your case in court, the judge won't just take your word for it!

And Judge Judy is a real judge, as well as her husband, as well are the judges on People's Court. The ones I question are all the rest. Not naming names, but any other judge show I watch from time to time seems to be a freaking circus, barely above the level of a Jerry Springer episode.

When you listen at the end Judge Judy actually said she (plaintiff) couldn't present the evidence because she (Judge Judy) couldn't communicatate with the defendant. I am sure that just like talk shows, there is some suggestion to these people on how to act. I am also sure that they choose people and cases that will "play" well on tv.
Old 08-19-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't actually watched Judge Judy in a while, but I watch People's Court from time to time. Is that show different, because I've seen the judge on there rule according to the laws of the state the person is from. I've seen the judge say that New York law is this, but their home state law is something else, and they have to rule according to their home state law.

What do the disclaimers say before or after of these different judge shows about how binding the rulings are?
They're arbitrators.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrator

Arbitration on TV
The "judge shows" that have become popular in many countries, especially the United States, are actually binding arbitration. The most famous example is The People's Court.
Old 08-19-05, 09:44 AM

And Judge Judy is a real judge, as well as her husband, as well are the judges on People's Court.
I thought they were all retired though?
Old 08-19-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe that Judy was a judge in a family court before coming to TV. She had a reputation for being, well, how she is. If I remember right, she was drawn away from the court by a very large sum of money offered to her to do the show.
Old 08-19-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, many of the tv judges are real judges (or were), but aren't acting as judges or employed by the government -- they're employed by the show.
Old 08-19-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's true, these shows are simply arbitration, which is usually enforceable. It's also worthy to note that these people get paid to be on the show, so even if they lose, it's not that big of a deal.
Old 08-21-05, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, what if this happened in a real court? I have a hard time believing that it would just be dismissed.

I'm supposed to go to court for a traffic violation here shortly. If I show up drunk, can I get off without paying a fine? That'd be pretty sweet, although I'd have to leave work and slam some shots in order to be buzzed by the time I'm supposed to appear.
Old 08-21-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It would probably make a remarkably poor DUI defense.
Old 08-21-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On People's Court, the plaintiff and defendant split a $5000 pot, depending on how the ruling goes.
Old 08-21-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh'. I've known REAL egotistical showboat judges. Unfortunately, Judge Judy accurately portrays lots of real judges.
Old 08-23-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This looks like a "dismissed without prejudice" case, which means the plaintiff can file it again.
Old 08-23-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow, I'd be pretty pissed if I was the plaintiff. The case gets dismissed because the defendant is a jackass? That's hardly fair.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.