Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do car dealerships even bother having wesites?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-18-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been checking out cars for a little while now, but only more recently have thought more about buying one. I've checked out a few websites and when I put in my request for more information, the email is always required, the phone number is optional. I do put in both, but if there is room for additional comments, I put in that I prefer to be contacted via email, as it's just easier to reach me that way. In different instances from different dealerships, NOBODY has even bothered to reply to my email. All I get is an automated email saying they will get with me in 24 hours. But nobody ever does.

Now, maybe they are trying to call and I am just not home, but I don't muck about with answering machines, nor do I have a cell phone, so that's why I mention that I want information by email. Just a freaking quote, and preferably some more information about the car, detailed information, as the website listing may be brief. But not once have I gotten a genuine response via email from any of these dealer ships.

So for the "Internet managers" at these dealerships, what the hell do they do all day other than take picutres of cars and post them online? They are utterly worthless when it comes to answering inquiries about cars.
Old 08-18-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Many times, over the phone, dealerships will quote you something lower than they will sell it to you once you get into the store. If they email it to you, they are likely to be stuck selling at that price. in writting, their quote will be much more than over the phone. so many times I have been to a dealership where the sales person will say they can get me a price outside, but once inside, they always back off. Thats what will happen over the phone too.

I emailed 3 dealerships the price I wanted to pay. 1 no response, 1 couldnt sell at that price, the other could. I walked in, inspected car, quick test drive, and signed papers.

Just know exactly what you want, the cost of each upgrade/package, find out what dealerships have been selling what you want (carsdirect, other message boards, etc) and do what I did.

I am surprised no one has called you. They usually leave a voice message with their name clearly noted who to ask for.
Old 08-18-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of the time you can search their car lots and see what they have. It's a lot easier than driving to every dealership.
Old 08-18-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mopower
Most of the time you can search their car lots and see what they have. It's a lot easier than driving to every dealership.
Well, I also would appreciate if they were more cooperative in communicating with Internet shoppers for quotes and such. I can find something that looks nice, but if there is something that turns up wrong with the car that is a deal breaker, I not only wasted gas money, but probably a couple hours of my life. And that's what I hate about going to a dealer: it's hard to make the deal quick a lot of times.
Old 08-18-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't have that problem when I was looking at the 2005 Mustang. I was receiving e-mails out of the yang-yang..... Received Quotes etc.... No problems except I didn't pull the trigger. I didn't supply my ph# though..I didn't want all the phone calls. Of course, it could be that it is a 'hot" car...
Old 08-18-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually that's how I got mine... I did a search online, actually through a newspaper's webpage...somehow got redirected to a dealer's website. They had something that looked appealing on the website. The dealer was about 2 miles from my house. So the next morning I stopped by there on my way to work, decided it would be worth a look when they were open. So I stopped by on my way home from work, ended up buying it
Old 08-18-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks like you have a lot of lazy people at your dealers.
Old 08-19-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They just want to earn your business!
Old 08-19-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Try their websites...you may have more luck.

Come on, someone had to do it.