Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Calling all DIY'ers.. Kitchen Cabinets Installation

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-18-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We are thinking about getting new kitchen cabinets. The ones in there currently are original (1969) and damn ugly. We have the standard 10'x10' and really don't want to change anything (because the price skyrockets). We seen some nice cabinets that we liked at Home Depot for about $1,800.

We are thinking about getting them but I'm wondering if I can do the install myself.

Any fellow DIY'ers ever attempt a kitchen cabinet installation?
Old 08-18-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Check out IKEA for lower-end cabinets. Decent 3/4" PCB construction, although the drawers are a bit flimsy (metal).
Old 08-18-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea, I think we did see some there that were nice. Although I also think I remember posting asking if those were crap or not and the concensus was that they were...

EDIT - Yea, I asked but didn't get many replies - here's the thread

Last edited by tbird2340; 08-18-05 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-18-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Yea, I think we did see some there that were nice. Although I also think I remember posting asking if those were crap or not and the concensus was that they were...

EDIT - Yea, I asked but didn't get many replies - here's the thread
We're doing our kitchen entirely with IKEA cabinets. They aren't crap. Trixie just recently read a review of different cabinets... IKEA came out looking very good. (I'm sure she'll post a link soon.)
Old 08-18-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you doing them yourself? How much is it going to cost you for the cabinets?
Old 08-18-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tbird2340
We are thinking about getting new kitchen cabinets. The ones in there currently are original (1969) and damn ugly. We have the standard 10'x10' and really don't want to change anything (because the price skyrockets). We seen some nice cabinets that we liked at Home Depot for about $1,800.

We are thinking about getting them but I'm wondering if I can do the install myself.

Any fellow DIY'ers ever attempt a kitchen cabinet installation?
I installed some about a month ago for Habitat For Humanity. It was actually pretty easy. You'll need at least two people to help you and at least one power drill (two makes it easier so that you're not havein to constantly switch out drill and screwdriver bits). Get good lengthed screws too . . . I think we used 2-1/2 inch to attach to the walls and 1 to 1-1/2 inch ones to anchor floor units to each other when needed.

The key thing is to make sure that they are level and that you have ample access to wall stud to screw them in to. For the top cabinets, make a level line to mark the bottom of the cabinet and then nail or screw some scrap wood even with the line so that you can rest the cabinet on it while you screw it into the studs (measuring the placement of the studs and marking off matching distances inside the cabinets to know where to pre-drill the holes makes life much easier).

For the bottom cabinets, the floor should be the leveler, but to line up and stablize the various units, you can screw the various units together from inside as well.

As always, double check your measurements . . . in particular, use walls and the widths of any appliences . . . refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, etc. to determine the placement of the cabinet sections. It's more important to make sure those fit in than to make sure that top and bottom sections line up exactly (but, ideally, there won't be much, if any, difference anyway).

Hope that helps. I would imagine that you could find some additional information elsewhere (books, websites, etc.). I would also recommend working with the people at Home Depot to make sure that you get the correct units for your layout (heights, widths, styles, etc.).
Old 08-18-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just realized that I was assuming that you were talking about a install of pre-built cabinets and not building them from scratch or just refacing them (I can't help with those ).
Old 08-18-05, 02:03 PM

We recently redid our entire kitchen (ceiling to floor) ourselves, and I completely agree with everything talemyn said. You can do just fine with just one other person, though, but it's always handy to have somebody else available on call in case you have some unusually heavy cabinets or something.

One thing that he didn't mention is that when installing the floor cabinets, you need to find the highest point on the floor first. Depending on the age of your house, your floor may be pretty level, but even if there's a gradual slope, find the highest point and start your installation there. If you start on a low point, you're going to be in trouble when you try and install the next cabinet over and it ends up higher. If you start on the high ground, you can just shim the other cabinets up to match the highest one, which is a lot easier.

Speaking of which, stock up on shims. They're pretty cheap, and there's a pretty good chance that you'll need a few of them in case your walls aren't perfectly straight.

The most important thing that you want to do, and it was already mentioned above, is to screw up a straight board along the bottom of where your upper cabinets will hang. This way, one person can just set the cabinet on the board and steady it, letting the board hold the weight. Also, it ensures that your cabinets will be level, and you just have to check for plumb (perfectly vertical).

All in all, though, replacing cabinets is probably one of the easier things to do when it comes to kitchen remodeling. You're essentially just screwing boxes into the wall and to each other.

The best thing you want to do right now is research. If you've got cable, try recording some shows on cabinet installation. HGTV has a show called DIY To The Rescue which has had some good kitchen episodes in the past. Check out some DIY-related websites, and generally get a good idea of what you're going to do before you dig in and do it.
Old 08-18-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xVladx
One thing that he didn't mention is that when installing the floor cabinets, you need to find the highest point on the floor first. Depending on the age of your house, your floor may be pretty level, but even if there's a gradual slope, find the highest point and start your installation there. If you start on a low point, you're going to be in trouble when you try and install the next cabinet over and it ends up higher. If you start on the high ground, you can just shim the other cabinets up to match the highest one, which is a lot easier.

Speaking of which, stock up on shims. They're pretty cheap, and there's a pretty good chance that you'll need a few of them in case your walls aren't perfectly straight.
Glad you added that in. I had wondered about how to handle it, but the house we were working on had a freshly poured concrete slab, so having to level the floor wasn't something that we had to deal with.

Good to know how to handle it in the future though.
Old 08-19-05, 02:35 PM

The IKEA cabinets were ranked #4 out of 14 brands of cabinets tested in Consumer Reports. The three brands above it were super premium lines, at three times the cost of comparable IKEA cabinets. In addition to that, the IKEA cabinets come standard with interior fittings that the premium lines do not, which would have made the price differential that much greater. IKEA cabinets come with Blumotion hardware which is superior to stock cabinet hardware, and Blum is an upgrade for the premium cabinet lines.

The IKEA cabinets beat out every store brand and national chain and cost less than all of them.

All the cabinet frames (AKURUM is the line) can be used with any door style, so if you want to change the doors out later on for a different look, all you need to do is purchase new doors and hinges. The boxes come in white or birch, and there are over a dozen styles of doors including several in solid wood.

Check out [link]www.ikeafans.com[/link] for some great information on what you can do with IKEA cabinets.
Old 08-19-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Woohh... Thanks for the great post!

What were the cost of the ones you guys got?
Old 08-19-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just did a kitchen renovation a few months ago and my wife and I looked at Ikea. We ended up buying Kraft Maid. For a few hundred $$$ more you get much better quality. If you are only going to be in the home for a few years than Ikea is OK. If you are planning to be in the home for a while than spend the cash and buy good quality.

For installation it cost me $3600 for labor. It included demolition, installation of new floor tiles, sanding and priming the walls, installation of cabinets, painging the walls and installation of wall tiles.
Old 08-19-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$3600 just for the install? How much were your cabinets?
Old 08-19-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And oh yea... The title said "Calling all DIY'ers" not "Calling all who paid to have their kitchen's remodeled"

Just jokin..
Old 08-19-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Total price including shipping and 8.275% tax was around $4300

I think it came out to a total of around 11 cabinets. The most expensive were the 2 39" cabinets on the wall and a 36" base cabinet for the pots and pans. And it included the upgrade to the plywood type construction instead of the cheaper kind.

The Ikea's we priced out were around $3000 for all the cabinets. Maybe a little more. Our kitchen is 11 by 7. The Ikea's are OK, but they are plastic or whatever the fake material is and if you look closely you can see that it's not the same quality as other brands.

We splurged on the cabinets. Found porcelain floor tiles for $2 a square foot that are great. Bought a grohe faucet and Kindred sink on Ebay for around 1/2 retail. They are much better than Delta, Blanco and Kohler. Silestone countertop at Home Depot Expo with an undermount sink.
Old 08-19-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I recently bought some free standing kitchen cabinet fixtures from IKEA (the TALBO) line. While not my first choice, it fits the space I have and the set up I want for the cost. They were just delivered yesterday and I won't be assembling them for awhile while the house continues to be worked on so I can't comment on assembly-and I think they have the option to be attached to the wall, but for the money, I think they're a pretty good deal.

Old 01-24-19, 07:49 AM

Re: Calling all DIY'ers.. Kitchen Cabinets Installation

I recently replaced my 20 yr old old MDF cabinets with some Ready To Assemble cabinets from "Forevermark". All wood construction with soft close hinges and drawer slides and dovetail drawers..
Kitchen is approx 10x10. We are very pleased with the results. We saved enough on the cabinets to afford quartz countertops, undermount sink, crown mold over 36" high cabinets.
It was a heck of a lot of work but we came in around 11k for everything including a new LVP plank floor.
We did our own demolition and installation. Of course we could not do the countertop ourselves but the above info on the self installation looks accurate and on point.
Still shopping for the right backsplash.
Old 01-24-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome, Forevermark salesman... looking forward to your future contributions.
Old 01-24-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He wears a crown of mold