Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

bathroom remodeling

Old 08-18-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

bathroom remodeling

im close to getting a new condo and want to redo the bathroom right away. its not too big but i want to replace the tiles and the tub.

any idea how much this might run me (for the parts and labor)? is home depot a good place to go for this kind of work or are they overpriced?

and how long should this take? a couple days? over a week? anyone ever done this kind of stuff?
Old 08-18-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It will take longer than you think. Try to hire a local contractor. Don't bother with Home Depot since the contractors just mark up the price so HD gets their cut.
Old 08-18-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

how long is "longer than i think"? a month?
Old 08-18-05, 03:18 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on what you really want to do.

If the tub is like for like, then it should be easy enough, and almost DIY.

taking out the tiles will be a pain, but again you could do it, I had a guy tile my bathroom for 1200 dollars

http://www.bdbfc.com/1450/PHASE2/bathroom.html

This project when complete will probably have cost close to 6K, and I did not have to pay for a plumber. It's 90% done now, need to get it painted and some finish work done.
Old 08-18-05, 03:20 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

And yes it takes longer than you think to do.
Old 08-18-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Unless you are in one of the "hot" markets (L.A. NY City, etc) $8.50 to $15.00 per square foot is a good starting point for "normal" bathroom tile and that includes labor. This is assuming a decent contractor (but not general contractor or interior decorator). This would not include removing the old tile. Do you know what is behind the old tile? If only green board, I would highly recommend replacing that with concrete board.

Typically labor is as much as the tile on "normal" bathroom tile, but there is some really expensive tile out there, so it could be more. Try going to Home Depot/Lowes and asking them. But then I would also ask friends, family, neighbors, etc. Try a handyman who has done a lot of tile work. Standard tile work is pretty easy and basic once you have done it a while.
Old 08-18-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by atari2600
how long is "longer than i think"? a month?
Take your best guess, multiply by at least 2, and add a little bit more. That'll get you in the ballpark.

This is true of any labor estimate, whether it be tile work or software contracting.