Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Forget fleas and worms, my parents dog has maggots

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-18-05, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My parents have a dog. This dog is at least 15 years old. Apparently, the dog was whimpering and whining all night, and walking into walls. While helping my mom try to figure out what was wrong, I noticed something moving around it's eyes. Pull back the hair, and there's maggots crawling around it's right eye.

I just got done talking to my mom trying to convince her that it's time to have the dog put down. It's in almost constant pain now, blind in the right eye, and something's festering in the socket to attract the maggots.

Please convince me I'm not a heartless bastard, but I feel horrible right now. My mom loves this dog, and couldn't grasp why I would want to kill a member of the family.
Old 08-18-05, 10:13 AM

Take it in to the vet to fix the maggot problem, ask the vet if the dog is better off being put to sleep or if it's still living a content life- after all, it really is about the dog. If it's in constant pain and shouldn't continue on, then your mom should accept that- letting the dog live longer in extreme pain is kind of cruel to the dog.
Old 08-18-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

warcp is right. Have the family talk with the vet and make the decision that's right with the dog. If they know their dog at all after 15 or so years then they'll know what to do. As hard as it is, letting go is sometimes the right theing to do. It's our responsibility to the animals that depend on us to know when.
Old 08-18-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maggots are actually very good for cleaning up nasty infections. Some doctors use them post surgery. You should still get it fixed, but maggots are not bad in and of themselves.
Old 08-18-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Maggots are actually very good for cleaning up nasty infections. Some doctors use them post surgery. You should still get it fixed, but maggots are not bad in and of themselves.

I was going to post the same thing. Maggots can not only digest bad germs and viruses, they can leave healing substances in their saliva that will actually help the wounds heal. Also, they ONLY eat dead tissue leaving healthy tissue behind to become healthy again.

I've heard of people with maggots in their wounds that actually got worse and died when Doctors removed the maggots and "cleaned" the wounds. As soon as the moogts were raging infections took over.
Old 08-18-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So does it hurt when dead tissue is eaten by a maggot? I mean, it's dead--does that mean the nerve endings are too?
Old 08-18-05, 12:56 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Ive read articles of patients having 'maggot treatment' for that very thing. They report a unnerving feeling of them squirming and maybe some itching but no pain. ill look up the article.

Medical Maggots

for more stories, search for "Maggot Treatment" on google
Old 08-18-05, 01:14 PM

Kvrdave it!

(you people are slacking..)
Old 08-18-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Ive read articles of patients having 'maggot treatment' for that very thing. They report a unnerving feeling of them squirming and maybe some itching but no pain. ill look up the article.

Medical Maggots

for more stories, search for "Maggot Treatment" on google
Wow, I would feel really odd about paying for maggots. But they make a good argument. If I were ever in a situation where maggots might be used as treatment, I wouldn't reject it outright now that I know the facts and they cannot eat healthy tissue.
Old 08-18-05, 01:27 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I read about a burn victim who used them on his skin under a nylon garment (to hold them in the area) he said the squirming was really annoying but they did the job and kept the scaring to a minimum.
Old 08-18-05, 02:32 PM

Well, just got back from the vets. The vet recommended putting it to sleep, so my parents agreed. It had been in a bad state for the past few months, and everything finally hit the wall last night.

My parents were actually not even expecting for it to make it through last Christmas, so they actually got eight months extra.

I think it was hard on my dad because it reminded him of having to put my dog down several years back. That one was a heartbreaker, and I still miss that dog.
Old 08-18-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just wait a few days and your dog will be able to shoot a beam of flies from its eye! Your dog's enemies will tremble with fear, crying "Dios mio...es El Diablo!" (chihuahuas only). That will be totally cool.
Old 08-18-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow dude.. Sorry to hear about your dog. IMHO that is one of the toughest things to do in life.

Old 08-18-05, 02:59 PM

Sorry to hear that Flounder, I had a 7 year old beagle that I had to put to sleep 5 days before Christmas, this past year. ( His kidneys had shout down on him ) It's really tough, but the best thing you guys can do for the dog.
Old 08-18-05, 06:53 PM

This wasn't my dog, this was my parent's dog. Actually, I never really got attached to it, so I was able to be the voice of reason dealing with my parents.

The short lifespan of dogs compared to humans is proof that God is an evil sum bitch.
Old 08-19-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
the squirming was really annoying but they did the job and kept the scaring to a minimum.

I don't know about that. I'd be kinda scared if I had maggots crawling all over me.
Old 08-19-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by darkflounder

The short lifespan of dogs compared to humans is proof that God is an evil sum bitch.
On the contrary. I think it's proof God really loves dogs.
Old 08-19-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PrincessT
Wow, I would feel really odd about paying for maggots. But they make a good argument. If I were ever in a situation where maggots might be used as treatment, I wouldn't reject it outright now that I know the facts and they cannot eat healthy tissue.

I saw a show about Maggots where this Diabetic man in Britian had a serious injury to his foot that would not heal. He had been through all the usual medical avenues and nothing was working. I mean it was bad. There was dead tissue and a serious infection that was getting worse. As you know Diabetics have to worry about foot injuries because they can lead to losing the foot or the whole leg. Well this company over there who grows maggots for medical use came out and bandaged his foot with young maggots for several days. Because they ate all the necrotic tissue, the wound had started to heal immediately. Like I said, they can eat and digest nasty Viruses and germs that make other animals sick. They basically immune to them. Also, their saliva may also promote healing and again, they -only- eat dead tissue leaving healthy tissue alone.

I wouldn't have any problem using them on a serious wound.

In that same show an ER doctor was talking about a homeless man that was brought is with large infection on the side of his face that was not only swollen to a huge size, it also had maggots. Naturally they cleaned the infection and removed the maggots but soon after the man died. The Doctor said that she now believes the removal of the maggots allowed the infection to get worse and that's most likely why he took such a sudden downturn and died.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-19-05 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-19-05, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Just wait a few days and your dog will be able to shoot a beam of flies from its eye! Your dog's enemies will tremble with fear, crying "Dios mio...es El Diablo!" (chihuahuas only). That will be totally cool.
What are you going to do? Release the hounds? Or Bees? Or dogs with bees in their mouths' so when they bark they shoot bees at you?