Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

If vegetarian ecologists are so against using paper....

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-17-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why do they eat vegetables???? I heard somebody at work the other day complaing about how using paper tears down trees, trees that turn carbon monoxide into precious oxygen. Forget the fact that new trees do that task much better than the older ones cut down for paper, but I had to wonder, "Ok, if they are so against cutting down those plants, why do they feel the need to eat just plants??" If they were really against it, they should be ripping into some grade A meat!
Old 08-17-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A paper product isn't a natural occurance?
Old 08-17-05, 04:14 PM

Vegetarians are worse than Hitler, I say.
Old 08-17-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Why do they eat vegetables???? I heard somebody at work the other day complaing about how using paper tears down trees, trees that turn carbon monoxide into precious oxygen. Forget the fact that new trees do that task much better than the older ones cut down for paper, but I had to wonder, "Ok, if they are so against cutting down those plants, why do they feel the need to eat just plants??" If they were really against it, they should be ripping into some grade A meat!
Fruits and vegetables are renewable. It's not like the apple tree dies when you pick an apple from it. Try not killing a cow when you cut a steak off of it. But then again trees are renewable too. You can replant them. Last I knew there wasn't a pinecone shortage. They're just crazy.
Old 08-17-05, 04:22 PM

Cows are renewable. Before you eat a cow, wait for it to do a man cow and then have a baby cow. Then wait for the baby cow to grow to adult hood, rinse, and repeat.
Old 08-17-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's all renewable! Certain agencies like to make us believe otherwise to gererate money for their political views and lobbying.
Old 08-17-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Cows are renewable. Before you eat a cow, wait for it to do a man cow and then have a baby cow. Then wait for the baby cow to grow to adult hood, rinse, and repeat.

Oh ya. I forgot cows had sex.
Old 08-17-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Your theories do not take into consideration veal parmigian.
Old 08-17-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Forget the fact that new trees do that task much better than the older ones cut down for paper,
I believe most paper is made from trees in tree farms specifically made to become paper products. It is about a 7 year rotation with poplar trees, iirc.
Old 08-17-05, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Your theories do not take into consideration veal parmigian.
You're right! It's only a matter of time until the world's parmesan mines dry up, and there will be none left for future generations to enjoy.
Old 08-17-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are more reasons to keep old trees around other than the CO2-Oxygen conversion. Also, the reason they eat plants is so that they can stay alive, conduct their ecological research, and the leave the earth a better place than they found it. The reason they don't eat meat is because meat requires that even more trees need to be cut down to farm and grow the plants required to feed the meat. Eating meat doesn't mean that plants are left alone - it means that tons of plants are killed and eaten by the animals that are eaten.

I know you were trying to find some snarky hole in other people's logic, but you failed miserably. I hope you were just trying to be funny. Otherwise, it comes across as pretty ignorant. Take some time to do some research and avoid coming across as such a know-it-all if you're really interested in an answer.
Old 08-17-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ben12
There are more reasons to keep old trees around other than the CO2-Oxygen conversion. Also, the reason they eat plants is so that they can stay alive, conduct their ecological research, and the leave the earth a better place than they found it. The reason they don't eat meat is because meat requires that even more trees need to be cut down to farm and grow the plants required to feed the meat. Eating meat doesn't mean that plants are left alone - it means that tons of plants are killed and eaten by the animals that are eaten.

I know you were trying to find some snarky hole in other people's logic, but you failed miserably. I hope you were just trying to be funny. Otherwise, it comes across as pretty ignorant. Take some time to do some research and avoid coming across as such a know-it-all if you're really interested in an answer.

Different veggies and fruits require more out of the earth than others as well. I wonder if they take that into consideration, or if it is just a matter of degrees. The degree that other people don't care sucks, but the degree to which they don't care is less, so they are superior. Beans and rice should probably be all they eat.

But I'm at the the top of the food chain, and there is plenty of food to go around, and I like how meat tastes. So up their nose with a rubber hose.
Old 08-17-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
But I'm at the the top of the food chain, and there is plenty of food to go around, and I like how meat tastes. So up their nose with a rubber hose.
At least you have a mature, informed attitude about it.
Old 08-17-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let's all play "Spot the vegetarian in this thread"!
Old 08-17-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Let's all play "Spot the vegetarian in this thread"!
You can try, but you'd be wrong. I just happen to know what I'm talking about.
Old 08-17-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Save the wheatfields! Recycle toast!
Old 08-17-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-17-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

You can try, but you'd be wrong. I just happen to know what I'm talking about.
Old 08-17-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I knew a eco-psycho that were against paper, I'd throw a pack of printing paper in the trash and tell him the tree died for nothing.

I also show my disrespect for trees when I use paper to wipe my butt. How would these people wipe without paper? Fingers, wash butt every crap, leave the poo there?
Old 08-17-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I'm eco friendly. I don't mow my yard. I'm contributing to the global oxygen supply.
Old 08-17-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thats why we need to eat meat to prevent them from cutting down trees!
Old 08-17-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is one little flaw in your argument. Who's cutting down forests to raise grains? A large majority of grain (the plants you talk about animals eating) is raised in the midwest. In the form of corn, soybeans and wheat among other types. Before the white man came to cut down all the trees for the meat eaters the midwest wasn't a forest. It was a prairie. So man pretty much replaced prairie grasses and flowers with corn, soybeans and wheat. All of which is renewable every year. And all of which provides the Earth with oxygen.

And believe me there is no shortage of trees here in the midwest either. Infact they were encouraged after the dust bowl to prevent the wind from blowing all the top soil away. Now this is probably different in other nations like Brazil which is a large grain source as well. I'm sure they cut down rainforests to grow gran but since it's in South America I don't really give a shit.

Maybe you should do the same?

Last edited by Mopower; 08-17-05 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-17-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
Hey, I'm eco friendly. I don't mow my yard. I'm contributing to the global oxygen supply.
You go girl!
Old 08-18-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
There is one little flaw in your argument. Who's cutting down forests to raise grains? A large majority of grain (the plants you talk about animals eating) is raised in the midwest. In the form of corn, soybeans and wheat among other types. Before the white man came to cut down all the trees for the meat eaters the midwest wasn't a forest. It was a prairie. So man pretty much replaced prairie grasses and flowers with corn, soybeans and wheat. All of which is renewable every year. And all of which provides the Earth with oxygen.

And believe me there is no shortage of trees here in the midwest either. Infact they were encouraged after the dust bowl to prevent the wind from blowing all the top soil away. Now this is probably different in other nations like Brazil which is a large grain source as well. I'm sure they cut down rainforests to grow gran but since it's in South America I don't really give a shit.

Maybe you should do the same?
Oh, don't worry. I have. See, the flaw you pointed out isn't a flaw. So they didn't cut down trees but they destroyed whole native ecosystems. That's not so wonderful either. There are major problems today trying to restore natural grasslands with the native species. Aggriculture not only introduces the invasive species that are being farmed that then spread and outcompete native species, but the disturbances caused by aggriculture make it very easy for other invasive species to become established. Also, keep in mind that along with introduced aggricultural species comes introduced non-native pollinators. Honey bees are currently outcompeting most of the native polinators in this country, and it's a major problem. And native grasses and other plants disappearing leads to the disappearance of other plants and animals. It's not a closed system. Soybeans and corn is not just as good as whatever the native species were.

And you should care about what they're doing in South America, because it affects your life in North America.
Old 08-18-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
If I knew a eco-psycho that were against paper, I'd throw a pack of printing paper in the trash and tell him the tree died for nothing.

I also show my disrespect for trees when I use paper to wipe my butt. How would these people wipe without paper? Fingers, wash butt every crap, leave the poo there?
No one is "against paper." It's about conservation of paper and not using it when it's not necessary to use it. Nice straw man, though.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.