Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Fitness/exercise question

Old 08-17-05, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fitness/exercise question

I'm looking to just shape up trim a bit off the waist and such and i recently joined a gym and have been going to play racquetball as well as hitting the Nautilus machines.

My question is whether working the machines and building up strength is going to be burning the calories i need to burn to shed some of the extra weight or do i need to be hitting the cardio machines like the treadmills, elliptical machines etc.?

(I'm hoping the weight machines will take care of everything because the treadmills and such are so boring to work out on)
Old 08-17-05, 07:00 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

maybe you should try doing both. Do a different one ech week, that way you cover all!!!
Old 08-17-05, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk God

cardio will be the biggest help to lose the weight
but throwing in some strength training will help keep it off
the strength training will build some muscle, and muscle increases your metabolism

if you just do strength training without cardio.. you will build muscle faster than you lose fat.. and the muscle will just hang out behind the fat and make you look even bigger.
Old 08-17-05, 07:04 AM

A good exercise routine should cover a little of everything. Maybe the racquetball will be enough but nothing gives you a sustained elevated heartrate/breathing (which helps w/ the calorie burning) like the treadmill/ellipitcal. The other advantage of areobic is that you can do it every day, unlike strength training in which you are supposed to rest the muscle group for a day or so after training (atleast that's what I was always told ).

As far as it being boring bring a tape/MP3 player, listen to your favorite podcast or something like that. Alternatively I bought an ellipical for home and watch DVDs while using it
Old 08-17-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

diet is the most important factor. high protein, low bad carbs (pasta, refined sugar, etc), lots of fruit and veggies.

As you build more muscle, you will be burning more calories off during the day. Read that its best if you lift weights first, then do cardio.
Old 08-17-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
cardio will be the biggest help to lose the weight
but throwing in some strength training will help keep it off
the strength training will build some muscle, and muscle increases your metabolism

if you just do strength training without cardio.. you will build muscle faster than you lose fat.. and the muscle will just hang out behind the fat and make you look even bigger.
Actually diet is the primary way to effectively lose weight with strength training being an excellent supplemental activity. Diet and strength training will result in more weight and fat loss than diet and cardio.
Old 08-17-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Don't forget a heavy dose of meth.

Old 08-17-05, 03:50 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After seeing those pics, I'm going to eat more carbs and junk food.
Old 08-17-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Smoking while on the treadmill will not only help you lose weight faster, it will make the time more interesting, depending on what you flavor the cigarette with.
Old 08-17-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

my body works backwards for some reason. the more I lift, the slimmer I get. the more cardio I do, the bulkier I get. something ain't right.
Old 08-17-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could talk to 10 different "experts", and get 10 different responses. I would try all types of exercises and see how your body reacts. Its not as easy as diet is more important or exercise is more important, its how you utilize the 2 and how your body "takes" to them. Everyone is different, and dick grayson makes a great point, everyone will react differently, so the best advice is to try everything in various combos and see how best you react to that. But in all actuality any form of calorie reduction with physical energy will help. You just have to see what best maxamizes your efforts.
Old 08-17-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
You could talk to 10 different "experts", and get 10 different responses. I would try all types of exercises and see how your body reacts. Its not as easy as diet is more important or exercise is more important, its how you utilize the 2 and how your body "takes" to them. Everyone is different, and dick grayson makes a great point, everyone will react differently, so the best advice is to try everything in various combos and see how best you react to that. But in all actuality any form of calorie reduction with physical energy will help. You just have to see what best maxamizes your efforts.
I understand that everyone will react differently. Cardio will burn more calories than lifting will won't it?
Old 08-17-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Depends on how much of each you do, and what type.
Old 08-17-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bigsoos
diet is the most important factor.
What he said.

Especially if you are specifically looking to "trim around the waist". Eat more smaller meals throughout the day, watch what you eat, don't skip breakfast.

You have to keep your metabolism up.