Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Was I completely out of line?
Yes, zero you should know better.
7.89%
No, but next time shut up.
52.63%
You should have asked him if he just saw "Crash"
21.05%
Twikoff would have fired you for being a stereotypical bastard.
18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Was I completely wrong? (work related)

Old 08-17-05, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was I completely wrong? (work related)

I have'nt had a guest (customer) go off on me, or even have an argument with me in a very long time, which means I am A) Becoming a better employee, or B) I've just been better at keeping my opinions to myself. Well here it is my day was a great one I was helping people out, my store is ready for its inventory and not a damn thing is bothering me...well that is until I had to ring up a grandmother shopping for her grandkids. They werent rude to me or anything but were very sure of what they wanted, matter of fact the kid wanted Devil May Cry 2, ringing them up he asked if I had part 3. I replied that yes it is in stock and cost X ammount of dollars. The child repsonds he'd rather get part 3 then. I get the game for him and the kids begins to second guess himself, instead decides to go with the cheaper DMC 2 instead because he wanted an expensive pair of shoes. Not thinking anything of it I respond "..why not go to the Vans outlet store? Shoes are generally cheap there, and.."

This is where it all goes bad, before I can finish my statement a young man wanted to remind me (in a very abrupt manner) that, and these are his words not mine I swear I cannot make shit like this up; "Vans? That shit is for Tony Hawk, skater white boys, black people don't wear Vans, what the hell do you think you're doing?" Confused and completely caught off gaurd I nodded and asked him why he was being so stereotypical? To which he responded, "Im a black man, and if you knew how much I've been stereotyped youd know something. I can be as stereotypical as I want to be." Again I cant make this up, I shook my head and went on to tell the grandmother that their game needed a cleaning I walk away and look back and he is still going on and on about how black people dont wear Vans. Friends visiting me at the store are looking at me wondering what I did to piss this guy off.

I inform my fellow employee to ring up the grandmother so he can get this guy out of the store. Im feeling about two feet tall so I took a moment to apologize if I may have insulted or upset her in any way, I was just making conversation. To which she replied "My grandson likes Vans, and I have no idea who that guy over there is." Relieved that I didnt insult her, I just sat back and watched this guy continue to complain on his way out the door. Im glad that I didnt upset her but...for god's sake was I really out of line?

Not a white boy, but wears Vans, Your friendly neighborhood
-zero
Old 08-17-05, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, black people don't wear Vans.
Old 08-17-05, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What kind of store do you work in? Twikoff would fire you for sure if you sent some kid to the Vans store when your store sells shoes.
Old 08-17-05, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by NORML54601
What kind of store do you work in? Twikoff would fire you for sure if you sent some kid to the Vans store when your store sells shoes.

you're right
I was just about to post how I would fire him for sending someone elsewhere for better prices
Old 08-17-05, 05:46 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Where's the "No, you did absolutely nothing wrong" option? The "black people don't wear Vans" customer was being an ass.
Old 08-17-05, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Where's the "No, you did absolutely nothing wrong" option? The "black people don't wear Vans" customer was being an ass.
Yes, please add that option to the survey. Because that little man was off his rocker!!!
Old 08-17-05, 06:54 AM

"Im a black man, and if you knew how much I've been stereotyped youd know something. I can be as stereotypical as I want to be."
This is almost as rediculous as someone who called into the CSPAN yesterday morning saying since he was a black man and had faced prejudice all his life he couldn't be a prejudicial person himself (even though he lumping all white people together and going on about how they try to keep the black folks down)
Old 08-17-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe next time you'll actually think things through and direct your black customers to the Hush Puppies outlet like you're supposed to.
Old 08-17-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
You did fine, but cut the chatter at the register. As far as "Nat X" is concerned, well, asshatness is an equal opportunity affliction.
Old 08-17-05, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Never talk to the customers... never make direct eye contact.

That was your only mistake.
Old 08-17-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the poll options are teh suck, but I went with the "no, but next time shut up" option. Directing the guy to Vans is kinda-sorta being nice, but asking why he was being so stereotypical might just be crossing the line.

Sounds like the grandmother was nice, tho.
Old 08-17-05, 08:53 AM

I work in the customer service field, commission sales, selling furniture.I don't really make too much small talk with my customers.If I do, it's about the weather , or how adorable your children are , something like that.The less you say the better.The only time I do make small talk is if i've been working with a customer for a while and feel i've built a relationship with this person or family and it's ok. I have to feel it out.Most cutomers are in and out very fast.
Old 08-17-05, 09:06 AM

You sir, are a racist. Welcome to my ignore list.
Old 08-17-05, 10:11 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

thats as funny as the onion article that stated
"Most people think cooking is for women. They couldnt be more racist. Everyone knows the best chefs in the world are men."
Old 08-17-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho
You sir, are a racist. Welcome to my ignore list.

How old was this kid? Teen? Should have refused to sell the game to him since it is rated M, well should have done that anyway, but better to do it out of spite.
Old 08-17-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Yeah, I'd like to know how old this person was as well, to better form a mental image.
Old 08-17-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just have him read the Bell Curve and get back with you.
Old 08-17-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That guy was definitely in the wrong...I know for a fact that Clarence Thomas wears Vans.
Old 08-17-05, 10:54 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Everyone KNOWS surfers and skaters are WHITE you should of put 2 and 2 together.
Old 08-17-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Black people don't wear Vans?
Old 08-17-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Shaq's shoes are on sale at K-Mart.. they're cheap, but they're the foshizzle, yo!
Old 08-17-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup.
Old 08-17-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 08-17-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Look out for the inevitable drive-by on your store. Wait, now I'm stereotyping.
Old 08-17-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That would be my pick too -- but I picked the "Ask him if he saw Crash" option because it was funny. Not that I'd suggest you do that (though I bet it would have been funny to watch for others).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.