Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

squeaky brakes

Old 08-16-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

squeaky brakes

I recently went to Midas to have my squeaky brakes checked. Turns out I had warped rotors which were replaced. They said the pads were fine. Most of the squeaking stopped, but a few days later, after I had drived to a city 500 miles away, the squeaking is getting louder. I took it to another Midas who took all the tires off and said nothing is wrong that they can see and that it might just be the pads adjusting to the new rotors? Sounds plausible, I suppose. They said it could take 1000-1500 miles to adjust.

Does this sound right?

The squeaking stops immediately when I apply the brakes.
Old 08-16-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
I don't think I've ever heard of a place replacing the rotors without replacing the pads as well. Pads are usually the first thing to be replaced, and then the rotors, if necessary. You have to watch these places the same as any place. The last time I got my pads replaced, he tried to tell me the rotors were bad too (tried to claim deep grooves). I couldn't afford it, so I held off. Not long after, I was involved in a little accident which involved taking off my tires at the mechanic's shop, and he said there was nothing wrong with the rotors.

My advice: get the pads replaced now. Bad pads will mess up your rotors quickly, and then you'll just have to replace them yet again.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 08-16-05 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-16-05, 11:42 PM

Both places said the pads were fine and didn't need to be replaced. I even asked if I should replace the pads and both places said it wasn't necessary. I was surprised to hear a commercial repair place pass on the opportunity to do some work.
Old 08-16-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
Both places said the pads were fine and didn't need to be replaced. I even asked if I should replace the pads and both places said it wasn't necessary. I was surprised to hear a commercial repair place pass on the opportunity to do some work.
Of course they told you this. They want you to come back and have the more expensive rotor work done again soon.

Whatever was causing the squeak was made louder when the rotors were replaced, and not the pads. There shouldn't be any squeak with new rotors AND new pads. Maybe a little grinding until the pads wear down slightly, but not squeaking. But that's just been my experience. Maybe they're right.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 08-16-05 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-16-05, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
You have to watch these places the same as any place. The last time I got my pads replaced, he tried to tell me the rotors were bad too (tried to claim deep grooves).
I know, they'll fuck you any chance they get, or so I thought. In this case, I'm pretty sure they were right. The squeaking started one day after I had logged about 8 hours of winding mountain roads and I was moving along pretty good and using the brakes a lot. It was a pretty warm day too. I assumed it was the brake pads that had worn down and caused the squeaking. After taking the tires off, they brought me in and showed me the pads and they still had quite a bit of material on them. Plus, the squeaking noise was intermittent, kind of like when the wheel would rotate past a certain spot, the warped rotor would rub against the pad. So it all made sense to me at the time.

But then again, I'm no mechanic.
Old 08-16-05, 11:52 PM

Of course they told you this. They want you to come back and have the more expensive rotor work done again soon.
You think? The thing is, at the second Midas, they knew I was from out of town and wouldn't ever be back to that store. Don't you think they'd rather have the business than some other place 6 months down the road?
Old 08-16-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
You think? The thing is, at the second Midas, they knew I was from out of town and wouldn't ever be back to that store. Don't you think they'd rather have the business than some other place 6 months down the road?
There are other Midases. They're keeping the business "in the family".
Old 08-17-05, 12:32 AM

There are other Midases. They're keeping the business "in the family".
Well, there's some truth to that, I'm sure. But then a lot of places tend to do as much as they can while they have your car up on the lift too.
Old 08-17-05, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

True. There are good places, I'm sure. That's what makes it so hard going to someplace out of town; you never know who to trust.
Old 08-17-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a question, also brake-related. Several weeks ago, I had the front brakes on my car replaced and the rotors were turned. Over the last week or so, when I hit the brakes, I can hear grinding coming from the front end. Shouldn't the new brakes be quiet? What would cause that?
Old 08-17-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Were the brakes properly bedded? Did the person use anti-squeal brake lube behind the backing plates of the pad? Most of the squealing that people hear is the metal-on-metal sound of the pad backing plate moving around in the caliper housing (which is normal). Lubrication prevents this.
Old 08-17-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about squeaky brakes and I don't know much about it even though I've always changed my own brakes... only thing I do know is that the last place I'd ever go get my brakes done is Midas.
Old 08-17-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would say

1. warped rotors will not cause a 'squeak' - usually warped rotors cause your steering wheel to vibrate/shimmy when the brakes are applied and may cause other noises I would more define as a grind and not a squeak

2. **NEVER** replace rotors without putting on new pads. Not all pad problems can be determined by a visual inspection of how much 'meat' is left on the pad. In other words, it is ignorant to look at how much pad is left, see a lot and say, oh the pads are perfectly fine.

3. I would say what you needed to cure the squeak was new shims on the back of the pads with a nice helping of disc brake quiet

http://www.permatex.com/auto/autoext...&item_no=80729

it could very well be possible your rotors had issue as well, did your steering wheel shake or vibrate at high speed braking?

Sometimes metalic pads can squeak and that is just the way they are. Upgrade to ceramic or downgrade to organic, both of these have less of a squeak issue.

I agree with Trigger 100%, NEVER take your car to Midas for any reason
Old 08-17-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly... when I hear the 'touch' part of the "Trust the Midas Touch" jingle, I think of the inappropriate kind of touch... the icky kind that makes you want to take a silkwood shower.
Old 08-17-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trigger
Exactly... when I hear the 'touch' part of the "Trust the Midas Touch" jingle, I think of the inappropriate kind of touch... the icky kind that makes you want to take a silkwood shower.

The kind of touch that makes daddy go away for a long, long time.