Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Microsoft is crafty like a fox... at Apple's expense (IPOD related)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-16-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hopefully this hasn't been already posted and I thought the other forum was appropriate as this is a news story rather than a discussion about the IPOD product. In following is a story from Sky News...

APPLE'S IPOD PATENT GAFFE

Computer firm Apple may have to pay Microsoft 6 for each iPod it sells after a huge licensing lapse.

Lawyers at Bill Gates' firm filed a patent for technology behind the hugely successful digital music player two months before Apple.

The US Patent Office has ruled that Microsoft has the right to charge competitors a licence fee for each iPod sold.

Furious, Apple has said it will appeal the decision but at the moment it looks as though the firm will be paying a high price for the success of its product.

The iPod was launched in November 2001 but Apple waited until July 2002 to file for a patent; Microsoft snuck in to license some of the technology the previous May.

David Kaefer, Microsoft's director of intellectual property licensing, said it was open to letting other firms patent its innovations.

He said: "In general, our policy is to allow others to license our patents so they can use our innovative methods in their products.

"Microsoft and Apple have previously licensed their respective patent portfolios to one another and we maintain a good working relationship with Apple."

The dispute comes days after Microsoft declared war on the iPod and pledged to come up with a series of rivals.

So far, 21 million iPods have been sold worldwide, 18 million in the last year alone.

link

I guess the IPOD's will cost $10.85 more now!
Old 08-16-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

haha
Old 08-16-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good...there are much better MP3 players out there than IPods anyways.
Old 08-16-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

iPoop.
Old 08-16-05, 04:22 PM

iTrendy
Old 08-16-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

iOwned!
Old 08-16-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
doesn't MS own a huge chunk of Apple stock?
Old 08-16-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

iMjealous!
Old 08-16-05, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
iDon'tKnow
Old 08-16-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ilove Lamp

Old 08-16-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

iDon'tget iT
Old 08-16-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
They nearly rescued Apple from the brink of bankruptcy. If memory serves me right, when Jobs came back to Apple (from selling NeXT) he went to Microsoft for cash.

Microsoft gave them some cash for stock in return. Microsoft also created a version of Office for the Mac.

Don't know if they still hold the stock. It was a real small investment for Microsoft.
Old 08-16-05, 05:17 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
Ilove Lamp

Old 08-16-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hah
Old 08-16-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure what this means, the iPods are going to be priced even higher?
Old 08-16-05, 06:13 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Crafty like a fox or hungry...like the wolf?
Old 08-16-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that foxes were crazy, not crafty.
Old 08-16-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
I thought that foxes were crazy, not crafty.
They are crazy. HN lives in a very crazy alternate reality.
Old 08-16-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn sneaky on MS part. Just price the unit $10 more and call it a day. People will pay it anyway. No loss. Sounds like a typical day at MS headquarters though.
Old 08-16-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Microsoft sold the stock a few months later.
Old 08-16-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trigger
Hah
That's iHah.

Forum Post Ruiner.
Old 08-17-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Couldn't Apple just prove the iPod was released before Microsoft filed the patent?
Old 08-17-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is the question. If I think of something hideously useful, how do I then release it to the world at large FOR FREE without having to worry about a patent?

According to another report (Sydney morning herald), Apple released the product in 2001. Microsoft patented the technology in May 2002 and Apple submitted theirs in October 2002.

From the SMH:

To be sure, the US Patent & Trademark Office last month did reject a request that Apple filed in October 2002 to patent technologies that support the iPod's rotational wheel interface. The reason for the rejection: Microsoft had apparently outraced Apple to the patent office with a similar request by five months.

Sounds bad, but that setback is hardly a knockout blow.

"It's still very early in the process," said John Ferrell, co-founder of Carr & Ferrell and a leading Silicon Valley patent attorney. "Apple still has a lot of options. This is not like a Supreme Court decision."

Apple could file a declaration stating that it invented the technology before Microsoft filed its patent request - as evidenced by all the iPods already on the market at the time. In such cases, a company can ask the patent office to launch an investigation to determine the inventor.
I was under the impression that if a product was released on the market without a patent (or a patent pending), then it was open slather and that there was no copyright protection. But this would seem to contradict that (with either report).

IF Apple released the patent before Microsoft patented it, surely either Microsoft would own the patent (strictly by virtue of being first) or no-one would own it (if prior invention kills all future patent).

And if Microsoft can win this one, then how the hell do you release an idea into the public domain without some asshat patenting it?

Definitely confused.
Old 08-17-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Microsoft and Apple Affirm Commitment To Build Next Generation Software for Macintosh

Per this article:

For its part, Microsoft promises to hold its Apple stock for a minimum of three years and to develop new Mac versions of its Office suite and other applications for at least the next five years (although not necessarily for Apple's next major OS revision, currently code-named Rhapsody). For an additional undisclosed amount, Apple and Microsoft have agreed to cross-license any new patents developed by either company and to share some existing code, leading to easier networking of PC and Apple systems, future common applications and the possibility of a shared operating system that would work on both types of hardware.
That being said, the $150M investment in Apple was really really small for Microsoft. I couldn't even find any info on the investment in the 10K or Q filings.

Last edited by ChiTownAbs, Inc; 08-17-05 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Couldn't Apple just prove the iPod was released before Microsoft filed the patent?
I assume that will be their main arguement during the appeal. I'm hoping Apple wins this one. I don't like that really general software concepts can be patented, but it should at least go to the inventor. But who knows, Apple may have snagged the idea off some nobody. I'm surprised there is no patent on a portable mp3 player.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.