Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you want to witness an unruly mob, go to a laptop sale...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-16-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...acodalogin=yes

Laptop selloff turns into ugly mob scene
KRISTEN GELINEAU
ASSOCIATED PRESS

RICHMOND, Va. A rush to purchase $50 used laptops turned into a violent stampede today, with people getting thrown to the pavement, beaten with a folding chair and nearly driven over. One woman went so far to wet herself rather than surrender her place in line.

"This is total, total chaos," said Latoya Jones, 19, who lost one of her flip-flops in the ordeal and later limped around on the sizzling blacktop with one foot bare.

More than 1,000 people turned out at the Richmond International Raceway in hopes of getting their hands on one of the 4-year-old Apple iBooks, which retail for between $999 and $1,299. The Henrico County school system was selling 1,000 of the computers to county residents.

Officials opened the gates at 7 a.m., but some already had been waiting for hours in line. When the gates opened, it became a terrifying mob scene.

People threw themselves forward, screaming and pushing each other. A little girl's stroller was crushed in the stampede. Witnesses said an elderly man was thrown to the pavement, and someone in a car tried to drive his way through the crowd.

Police would not immediately comment on the number of or extent of injuries, though witnesses said they mostly had scrapes and bruises.

"It's rather strange that we would have such a tremendous response for the purchase of a laptop computer and laptop computers that probably have less-than-desirable attributes,'' said Paul Proto, director of general services for Henrico County. ``But I think that people tend to get caught up in the excitement of the event it almost has an entertainment value.''
Blandine Alexander, 33, said one woman standing in front of her was so desperate to retain her place in line that she urinated on herself.

"I've never been in something like that before, and I never again will," said Alexander, who brought her 14-year-old twin boys to the complex at 4:30 a.m. to wait in line. "No matter what the kids want, I already told them I'm not doing that again.''

Jesse Sandler said he was one of the people pushing forward, using a folding chair he had brought with him to beat back people who tried to cut in front of him.

"I took my chair here and I threw it over my shoulder and I went, 'Bam,'" the 20-year-old said nonchalantly, his eyes glued to the screen of his new iBook, as he tapped away on the keyboard at a testing station.

"They were getting in front of me and I was there a lot earlier than them, so I thought that it was just," he said.
Old 08-16-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"I took my chair here and I threw it over my shoulder and I went, 'Bam,'" the 20-year-old said nonchalantly, his eyes glued to the screen of his new iBook, as he tapped away on the keyboard at a testing station.

Ah, the youth of America.
Old 08-16-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431795
Old 08-16-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 08-16-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the people there are like the dregs of society you see lined up outside Best Buy the day after Thanksgiving, you couldn't pay me go there.
Old 08-16-05, 02:10 PM

This is what would happen if all the Fatwallet people were released into the wild.
Old 08-16-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
This is what would happen if all the Fatwallet people were released into the wild.
Old 08-16-05, 02:31 PM
Banned

the good old days of unruly mob

Old 08-16-05, 02:43 PM

Myster X, you are a young-in:

Old 08-16-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My granddaddy told me that back in the Depression, they had this newfangled thing called "soup" that folks went crazy about and lined up around the block for.

Old 08-16-05, 04:10 PM

Those guys seem to be under control. They're even relatively well-dressed!
Old 08-16-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Myster X, you are a young-in:

Thank you for setting things right, Groucho . . .
Old 08-16-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those guys seem to be under control. They're even relatively well-dressed!
Starvation will do that to you. That Richmond crowd was fueled up on Funyuns and Pimp Juice.
Old 08-16-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's funny because it's true.
Old 08-16-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 08-16-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That shirt is great!

There is no way I would stand in line that long for a 4 year old laptop, that a bunch of nasty kids probably used.
Old 08-16-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hilarious
Old 08-16-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
That's crazy! Why on earth would that many people wait in line? The last couple of thousand must have known there was NO way they'd get one, what did they expect?

The news article here http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet...=1031784465530 has a slideshow of photos that are pretty impressive...
Old 08-16-05, 06:31 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's crazy, who wants an apple computer!
Old 08-16-05, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by scottall
It's funny because it's true.
This can't be real can it?

So I just made my plans.. $200 r/t from the bay area..I love you southwest! Decided to take the time off and vacation for a week and a half on the east coast. My flight is paid for after this laptop. Packing my backpack to camp out two days early, hopefully that will be enough time to get a good spot. Looking forward to meeting other fw'ers in line. See ya there!
Old 08-16-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
If the people there are like the dregs of society you see lined up outside Best Buy the day after Thanksgiving, you couldn't pay me go there.

That may be true, but I've got to say that the people standing outside Staples at 4 in the morning on black Friday are excellent, kind, intelligent, funny people with high post counts.

(okay, well maybe not always funny, and post counts are relative, but they are excellent, excellent people.)

Last edited by tasha99; 08-16-05 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-16-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
I couldn't agree more. I worked 5 black fridays at Best Buy, and it brought out the worst in humanity.
Old 08-16-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why didn't they just charge $200? It would cut down on the crowd, they'd still sell them all, and make more money also.
Old 08-16-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asabase
Why didn't they just charge $200? It would cut down on the crowd, they'd still sell them all, and make more money also.
it's not as funny that way.
Old 08-16-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's nice of them to take our needs into consideration.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.