Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Can Anyone Recommend A Quality Treadmill?

Old 08-16-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can Anyone Recommend A Quality Treadmill?

I'm looking to buy a treadmill for my home. Anyone have any, and can anyone recommend some quality treadmills? I guess my price range would be between $1,000 and $1,700 roughly. Can that buy me a good treadmill, or do I have to spend more?

I want it for walking and light running. I'm not trying to train for a marathon or anything, just to get into better shape. What brands are good....Nordictrack? Others? What features should I want my treadmill to have?

Did you buy it online or in a store? Which stores? Any info in general would be great.
Old 08-16-05, 10:40 AM

(Disclaimer: my post doesn't answer you questions at all, so feel free to ignore if you think I'm just being a busybody)

While I'm certainly supportive of anybody who wants to excercise, you should be cautious about spending that much money on something that may just end up in the garage in a couple months. So, I would ask a couple pointed questions:

1. Is the treadmill part of starting a new exercise program, or do you just want to take your current exercise plan home? In other words, are you already using a treadmill at the gym or someplace similar?

2. Any particular reason to choose running/walking on a treadmill vs. running/walking on the street?
Old 08-16-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can't watch TV on the street, buddy.
Old 08-16-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hear what you are saying, Groucho. I do walk in the street all the time...however I wouldn't want to run in the day time because it still can be quite hot. And soon, it will become extremely cold here in the winter. And running at night produces anxiety for some people--one time I was running and apparently a neighbor called the police on me because I looked "suspicious."

And yes, I was thinking of a gym as well. But I don't have one that is very close to me. Maybe a 30 minute train ride...which isn't horrible, but not next door either. I guess I just figured it would be more convenient when it's all said and done.
Old 08-16-05, 11:43 AM

We bought a ProForm treadmill from Sears about 3 or 4 years ago. While I don't know if it's a good brand or not, the one we have has worked flawlessly. It also came with a 5 year in-home warranty. The warranty is a big consideration. There is an option at the end of the 5 year standard warranty to add another 5 years, at a cost obviously. My wife uses it all of the time, I only use it in inclimate weather....it bothers my knees to much. Before spending too much on one, I'd make sure your body can handle the shock of one if you intend to use it regularly.
Old 08-16-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just run in place.
Old 08-16-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I strongly recommend these guys

http://www.smoothfitness.com/

They are very highly rated and we haven't had a problem. I think there are some other otters with them as well. I can't remember when the last thread was, but you might be able to find something in a search.

My husband is a big guy and when he started working out our ProForm treadmill just couldn't take it. It failed within a few months. We bought the $1000 model from here and it is going strong and doesn't have a problem handling larger people.
Old 08-16-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

School Track = Free + Fresh Air

Running in Place = Free + TV

Treadmill = $1000 + TV.

Couch = TV.

I usually pick the couch.

D
Old 08-16-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm very happy with my NordicTrack C 2270 Treadmill. Just over $1,000.

This is a good place to start looking at reviews and such.
Old 08-16-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not up on the latest/greatest models, but anything made by KEYS should be of great quality. We got one back in 2000/01 and it is still running great -- a bit pricey, but they're rock solid.

I got mine from some online store (amazon I think?) during a coupon/free shipping promotion, so I did quite well. They only delivered in the door, though. We had to lug the HEAVY thing up 4 flights of stairs.

And, yes, walking outside is wonderful... but it is also great to be able to put on a DVD of Law & Order (or whatever) and walk/run while watching. Makes it a lot easier to exercise regularly.
Old 08-16-05, 11:34 PM

My father owns a ProForm he bought from Sears which he uses for walking. It still works well. It is possible that anyone buying a treadmill for walking or light running may not need the extra durability that treadmills designed for running offer. That should provide some savings.
Old 08-16-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't listen to Groucho. He's from Utah.

Old 08-16-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$60 for Gilad's DVD set that is a mix of calisthetics and pilates will be better than a treadmill

http://www.bodiesinmotionwithgilad.com/
Old 08-16-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pilates is boring. I like being on things that MOVE ME.
Old 08-17-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why not check a garage sale or the newspaper for a used one? Should be able to find one really cheap.