Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Plane Crashes in Venezuela; 152 Aboard

Old 08-16-05, 07:06 AM
Suspended

A commercial airliner with 152 passengers aboard crashed in remote western Venezuela early Tuesday, an aviation official said. It wasn't immediately clear if anyone survived.

The West Caribbean Airways plane was en route from Panama to the Caribbean island of Martinique when its pilot reported engine trouble to the Caracas airport before dawn, said Francisco Paz, president of the National Aviation Institute.

Airport authorities lost radio contact with the plane roughly 10 minutes later, when the plane was in the area of Machiques in the western state of Zulia, he said.

"Residents in the area said they heard an explosion," Paz said. "Air rescue teams are traveling to the area right now by air and by land."

He said the pilot reported trouble with both engines to the Caracas air control tower just after 3 a.m.

The plane had been chartered for tourists, and 152 passengers were listed on the flight plan, Paz said. It wasn't immediately clear how many crew members accompanied them.
Old 08-16-05, 07:27 AM
Admin-Thanos

Well, bad things usually happen in 3's so I guess we're due for one more. This sucks though. I hope there are some survivors.
Old 08-16-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
Well, bad things usually happen in 3's so I guess we're due for one more. This sucks though. I hope there are some survivors.
This would be number 3 if you count the one in Canada a few weeks ago.
Old 08-16-05, 07:56 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Mopower
This would be number 3 if you count the one in Canada a few weeks ago.
That's right! No one died though. I'll count it though. I guess we're done for a while. That's a relief.
Old 08-16-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess the media is just hot n' horny for planes. Of course, we're less than a month away from 9/11, so there you go. Building fires will be next.
Old 08-16-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They haven't reached the scene yet, but based on a military overflight of the scene, they are saying survivors are unlikely.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...la_plane_crash
152 Likely Dead in Venezuela Plane Crash By IAN JAMES, Associated Press Writer
10 minutes ago

CARACAS, Venezuela - A commercial airliner with 152 passengers aboard crashed in western Venezuela early Tuesday after reporting engine trouble. A top government official said it was unlikely anyone survived.

The West Caribbean Airways plane was en route from Panama to the Caribbean island of Martinique when its pilot reported engine trouble to the Caracas airport around 3 a.m., said Francisco Paz, president of the National Aviation Institute.

Airport authorities lost radio contact with the plane about 10 minutes later, when the plane was in the area of Machiques, 400 miles west of Caracas in the western border state of Zulia, he said.

Interior Minister Jesse Chacon said that based on reports from military aircraft flying over the area, "it's very unlikely there could be survivors."
Old 08-16-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe the plane ran out of fuel. Airlines trying to cut corners because of high gas prices? Oooops, maybe we shoulda topped it off.
Old 08-16-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I guess the media is just hot n' horny for planes. Of course, we're less than a month away from 9/11, so there you go. Building fires will be next.
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Maybe the plane ran out of fuel. Airlines trying to cut corners because of high gas prices? Oooops, maybe we shoulda topped it off.
Man, you're on a roll.

Aren't airliner crashes always covered in the media?
Old 08-16-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very odd for a airliner to suffer a dual engine failure almost simultaneously. You have to think either it was mis-fueled (similar to the 767 in canada a ways back that glided in for a safe landing), or fuel contamination. Maybe if they had flown through a heavy (really heavy) thunderstorm you could have a flameout, but that is unlikely if they were already at altitude..

dave
Old 08-16-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chavez will probably claim that the US did it.
Old 08-16-05, 12:29 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn what's up with all these plane crashes?
Old 08-20-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Or 4's....

http://www.cnn.com/2005/BUSINESS/08/...eut/index.html