Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Are the sleep number beds all that?

Old 08-15-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are the sleep number beds all that?

Guess I'll tell you in the morning... I'm staying at a hotel that has them. Seems like a lot of hype to me
Old 08-15-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I say get a hooker and really test it out.
Old 08-15-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My parents have one and like it, but they don't think it's all that. It does take a bit getting used to though.
Old 08-15-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BigDave
My parents have one and like it, but they don't think it's all that. It does take a bit getting used to though.

wonder if they tested it out the way Mano365 was suggesting
Old 08-15-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. I slept in one once and not only did I not think it was all that, I prefer a regular matress.
Old 08-15-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

My parents and alot of my extended family have them and love them.
Old 08-15-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They're not for everyone, but we like ours. One nice thing is that they have a 20-year warranty. Decent traditional mattresses don't even seem to last half of that.
Old 08-15-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Guess I'll tell you in the morning... I'm staying at a hotel that has them. Seems like a lot of hype to me
All they are, are designer inflatable mattresses that you can adjust how much air is in them.
Old 08-15-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gimmick.
Old 08-15-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We've had one for about 4 years. One of the main factors that helped us decide to buy it is that you can adjust each side individually. I like a firmer mattress, and Mrs. Rex prefers softer. Ocassionally, I'll adjust mine if I'm having trouble sleeping. I do find that a firm setting on the Sleep Number bed isn't really the same as a traditional firm mattress. I was travelling a few weeks ago, and I found the hotel mattress to be quite comfortable. That may also be due to the fact I was working long days, and it was a king size bed.
Old 08-16-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Whatever you decide, be sure and tell 'em Dave Johnson sent ya!
Old 08-16-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by criptik28
Gimmick.

agreed.. i could tell the difference between extremes, but that was about it.. i'll have it for a few more nights, but it does seem like hype to me although i could see how a couple that is split on what type of bed they like could use this
Old 08-16-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they're all that -- I bought one in January and have never slept so well in my life. I used to have periodic back and/or neck pain and don't anymore. If I have to get up in the middle of the night for the bathroom, I have NO problem going right back to sleep. Sometimes on my interspring mattress, I'd wake up at 4:00 am to go to the bathroom and never get back to sleep.

No, I don't work for them!
Old 08-16-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I sold mine on eBay after a month and bought a Tempur Pedic. Been happy with that ever since.
Old 08-16-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've heard a variety of comments - they're hot, feel cheap, the plastic squeaks terribly, etc. I've never slept on one myself, but they don't seem to be anything other than a glorified air matress to me.

When I was looking at them ($1500 for a queen?!) they only real value I saw in it is that they were much more easily transported than a regular bed, which could be helpful if you move. Certainly not worth $1500 to me, though.
Old 08-16-05, 10:35 AM
Banned

I could see that they'd be worth it for some people, but frankly they are just glorified air mattresses. Unless you really need the differing softnesses on the two sides, it doesn't seem much worth it to me personally.

Now, the Tempurpedic mattresses are well worth it. Freakin' wonderful
Old 08-05-12, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Are the sleep number beds all that?

It's time to replace my mattress and my wife wants to go Sleep Number -- in particular, the one with the built in massager. She's got some medical issues that are helped by leg massages, plus she likes the adjustability of Sleep Numbers generally. We checked some out at the store tonight, and they were definitely comfortable, but they are soooooo much more expensive than regular mattresses.

Anyway, 7 years after this thread was last updated, does anybody have any stories to share, or strong opinions one way or the other?
Old 08-05-12, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife and I love ours, because she likes a firm mattress and I prefer a softer one.

To address some concerns raised earlier upthread, we've found them to be no hotter than a normal bed, I've literally never heard any plastic squeaking, and after 5 or 6 years, it still feels pretty sturdy to me. We do have ours in my old waterbed frame, so that probably plays a role in it not "feeling cheap".

They're not for everybody, and they're expensive as hell, but we really like ours, and we'll probably get another sleep number next time we need a bed.

Last edited by ultimaton; 08-05-12 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-05-12, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How does it feel transitioning from one side of the mattress to the other? Is it a gradual softening, or if you were to lie in the middle, would one side of your back feel very different from the other?
Old 08-05-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This one's only $50,000:

Old 08-05-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's time to replace my mattress and my wife wants to go Sleep Number -- in particular, the one with the built in massager. She's got some medical issues that are helped by leg massages, plus she likes the adjustability of Sleep Numbers generally. We checked some out at the store tonight, and they were definitely comfortable, but they are soooooo much more expensive than regular mattresses.

Anyway, 7 years after this thread was last updated, does anybody have any stories to share, or strong opinions one way or the other?
I stand by my claim that they're nothing more than designer air mattresses.

FWIW, I know a few of my friends who had sleep number mattresses finally switch to a memory foam mattress and love it.

I've yet to see anyone switch from memory foam to sleep number.
Old 08-05-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk God

fwiw, i got one from my parents not long after i made my initial post. we used it for about 3 years and got something else. i fucking hated it. i sunk in the bed, no matter how firm i set the damn thing. i could never get comfortable. i'm not exactly the easiest sleeper, so that's probably why.
Old 08-05-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just like a nice pillowtop mattress. So I would skip it.

I checked out one of those memory foam beds at the store. It was awful. It's comfortable the way those "nail" beds were in the 80's. It felt like a sleeping bag on the floor.
Old 08-05-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Sounds like you are perfect candidates for one. The whole point of the sleep number system is about people who share a bed and can't agree on comfort, not individuals. Can't see why an individual would need a mattress with adjustable firmness.

When the wife and I were looking for a new mattress, we tried out a store display once, but never actually slept on one. Wife wouldn't go for it. She said she couldn't tell the difference, but I know her too well... it was the cost.

She wouldn't go for a Temper-Pedic mattress, either, although we now have a 4" thick, Tempur-Pedic mattress topper that she loves... and this is on top of a pillow-top mattress. It's too soft for me as I like a firm mattress, but I tolerate it as I can sleep on just about anything. I also find them warmer to sleep on as I think the foam holds in your body heat. The things we do for love.

We have friends who swear by their sleep number. They said the same thing the company does.. you have to try it for an extended period. They were ready to send theirs back after two weeks, but decided to keep for the full try-out period. By the end, they loved it. A few days or a week or so isn't long enough to get used to it. It's why they have a try out period.

As for the expense, if you consider that a typical spring mattresses should be replaced after five years and if you buy good, quality mattresses, then costs would just about even out over the lifetime of the sleep number mattress.

As for "glorified air-mattress" comments ... well, one may just as well say a house is a "glorified" cave.
Old 08-05-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
They're not for everyone, but we like ours. One nice thing is that they have a 20-year warranty. Decent traditional mattresses don't even seem to last half of that.
An update on this:

We haven't had to use our warranty, for which we're thankful, because the warranty is basically a scam. The fine print says that the warranty only covers everything for two years. After that, you pay a prorated portion of the costs. Even just three years after purchase, you could be out a lot if the motor dies.

Still no regrets on buying ours though. My wife likes her side far softer than I like mine, so it is perfect for us. The cost is still really high though.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.