DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Anyone Have/Want a Hummer H3? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/434296-anyone-have-want-hummer-h3.html)

B.A. 08-16-05 09:38 AM

If it weren't for the Green Sheet we are going to get, my ass would be buying a 4Runner. One day, 4Runner, I will own you. :)

drapg 08-16-05 10:03 AM

A lot of you that are trashing the H3s are basing your opinions on the H2s.

I've long hated the H2s b/c they were too big and bulky and got around 9-10mpg

But the H3 is comparable to a Chevy Tahoe, and is priced just a bit less. Plus, you can go off road with greater handling (if that's your thing).

I bought it b/c I wanted an SUV and I wanted to try something new and different before I settle down, get married, and have to get something more practical (i.e. minivan).

The H3s are nothing like the H2s.

Michael T Hudson 08-16-05 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by criptik28
How are you only 20 but can afford a BMW X5?

He is a Player. ;)

svadas 08-16-05 10:23 AM

Why settle for anything less? Don't want to be a poser right?

http://www.internationaldelivers.com...vere/CXT-2.gif

LorenzoL 08-16-05 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
He is a Player. ;)

:lol:

That's right don't hate the Player, hate the Game. :p

Nick Danger 08-16-05 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by drapg
I bought a red H3 several weeks ago.

I'm freakin' in love with this car.

Gas mileage is no issue. Averages 18mpg, just as good as other SUVs.

If you want more specifics about the car, just ask!

How useful is the interior space?

A couple of years ago, one of Mrs. Danger's customers picked up some framed paintings where she worked. He couldn't fit them into his Hummer. He had to come back with smaller car. :lol:

drapg 08-16-05 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
How useful is the interior space?

A couple of years ago, one of Mrs. Danger's customers picked up some framed paintings where she worked. He couldn't fit them into his Hummer. He had to come back with smaller car. :lol:

Interior space is fine. The rear section is not as big as that of a Grand Cherokee, Explorer, or Tahoe. But with the 60/40 back seat split, you can fit pretty much anything in it that you would in any other SUV.

fnordboy 08-16-05 11:11 AM

I like the H3, and would buy it if it wasn't so insanely priced.

But I am perfectly happy with my Element:

http://www.cadaverbaby.com/misc/horrortalk/element.jpg

CRM114 08-16-05 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega
Be honest. It's "Log in as the opposite poster day" at DVDTalk, right? My world just got shook up a bit here. :whofart: and :lol:

I'm curious. When did being liberal (as in not being a stuffed shirt conservative) mean being concerned with gas mileage?

damn_skippy 08-16-05 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by PrincessT
Were I not happily married, I'd do loads of things for a guy with a Prius. He'd have more hummers than a dealership.

Once again here is the proof. I dont know shit.;)

but tell me something what is it about the prius that makes you want to give out hummers so freely. Is it the sleek body styling, gas miliage or them "oh so cool bling bling" 13 rims that gives you the hots?

http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicle...ge/photo_5.jpg

CRM114 08-16-05 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by fnordboy
I like the H3, and would buy it if it wasn't so insanely priced.

But I am perfectly happy with my Element:

30 grand is "insanely priced?"

CRM114 08-16-05 01:38 PM

BTW, picking up chicks is NOT on my lists of requirements for my new SUV. Loading my chick, my dog, and my kid and loads of vacation crap is.

Obey The D 08-16-05 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114
30 grand is "insanely priced?"

They are closer to $40,000 if you want leather, auto trans, etc. It's alot of money considering that the interior space is about the same size as a Jeep Liberty.

Goat3001 08-16-05 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by criptik28
How are you only 20 but can afford a BMW X5?

I really don't want to get into that but lets just say it is by legal means.

And no they aren't "plus sized girls". Well not all the time anyway. I just feel that I'm too young to be driving a sedan so it was a coupe or an SUV, I went with the SUV for that reason. That and I need something big to fit all my shit in for when I drive to school.

PrincessT 08-16-05 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by damn_skippy

but tell me something what is it about the prius that makes you want to give out hummers so freely. Is it the sleek body styling, gas miliage or them "oh so cool bling bling" 13 rims that gives you the hots?

Mostly it's the gas mileage and decreased ecological footprint--besides, what girl wants a guy who spews out an extra 8 or 10 tons of greenhouse gas--but I do have an eye for the entire package. The body styling drives me wild--I *love* it, so much better than the old one! The rims, yeah, OK, that's cool too, but it's all about the mileage and economy.

Why would a girl want a dude who spends all his money on gas and his ride, but can't afford to move out of an apartment? A well-priced, extremely efficient car shows a man is thoughtful, environmentally concerned, financially aware and probably stable, reliable and trustworthy. Sure, that's reading a lot into it, but that's how it works :)

Goat3001 08-16-05 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Hummers are one of the worst made cars on the road. They're also horribly overpriced and have crap resale value.

If you really need an SUV, get a new Xterra:
-pricing stops where the H3 starts. 29K will get you a loaded Xterra.
-much better quality than the Hummer, the first generation were essential faultless and the new ones have been just as good
-it's a serious, body-on-frame off road truck, it can handle anything an H3 can. It has a lockable rear dif and a very tough suspension
-250 HP/270 pound feet from a sweet VQ V6, probably the best V6 on the planet.
-simple, practical, bombproof interior with an excellent optional stereo
-it even looks good

If I was in the market for a truck in this class, I'd get the XTerra in a heartbeat.

I agree. The Xterra is a great car and for 29k loaded its very worth it. Not to mention they are much more reliable than Hummers.

Obey The D 08-16-05 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I agree. The Xterra is a great car and for 29k loaded its very worth it. Not to mention they are much more reliable than Hummers.

The bump in HP that they gave the new model was well needed. I have a 2002 Xterra that I use for work and it is an absolute dog on the highway. My 350Z has the VQ engine and I'm quite happy with it.

VinVega 08-16-05 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by damn_skippy

The Prius would give me the hot if it were at least 5 grand cheaper. :(

Green Smurf 08-16-05 03:39 PM

I love my Chevy Tracker, it gets about 22mpg, and it's great when it snows here in Milwaukee. I was one of the only people to make it to work on time when it snowed 12 inches here. I wouldn't use the 4 wheel drive all the time, but it's nice. Also it's perfect for hauling my great dane around.

drapg 08-16-05 03:45 PM

Why would a girl want a dude who spends all his money on gas and his ride, but can't afford to move out of an apartment? A well-priced, extremely efficient car shows a man is thoughtful, environmentally concerned, financially aware and probably stable, reliable and trustworthy. Sure, that's reading a lot into it, but that's how it works :)

Who says Hummer drivers (or SUV drivers) in general can't afford to move out of an apartment? I bought my first home (I'm 27) 1 month before buying the Hummer.

I am thoughtful.

I am environmentally concerned (I recycle religiously).

I am very financially aware.

I am stable, reliable, and trustworthy.

Why do you judge me by what I drive?

SpaceBoy 08-16-05 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega
The Prius would give me the hot if it were at least 5 grand cheaper. :(

Def. I have tried to buy one of these multiple times, but nobody, anywhere will give it to me even 1 buck under msrp. I'm not paying msrp for any car, ever!

scottall 08-16-05 04:45 PM

Because you are supporting terrorism.

CRM114 08-16-05 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Obey The D
They are closer to $40,000 if you want leather, auto trans, etc. It's alot of money considering that the interior space is about the same size as a Jeep Liberty.

I never looked at an H3 in person but you are right. According to some quick research, the H3 has a mere 55.7 cu ft of cargo space whereas my 99 Mountaineer has 81 cubic feet. I don't want to to downsize. :) The Jeep Liberty does indeed have more cargo space (and I thought the Cherokee was small!)

I guess the H3 is off the list. It does look cool though.

Question. Does the Xterra come with leather and other creature comforts? I was turned off my the X-games type demographic they were going after with waterproof seats and what not. The Xterra has 66 cu ft of cargo space. Not great.

PrincessT 08-16-05 06:19 PM

Who says Hummer drivers (or SUV drivers) in general can't afford to move out of an apartment? I bought my first home (I'm 27) 1 month before buying the Hummer.

I am thoughtful.

I am environmentally concerned (I recycle religiously).

I am very financially aware.

I am stable, reliable, and trustworthy.

It's part of my overall taste--and this is one of those things that is very important to me; I feel very strongly about the kind of ecological footprint we leave. I just cannot fathom someone settling for releasing 3 time the greenhouse gases and extremely low fuel efficiency. Just doesn't appeal to me. My husband's vehicles have never gotten less than 30 MPG highway. I wouldn't have it any other way.

All in all, it's just a personal preference.

tcoursen 08-16-05 06:58 PM

the H3 has a mere 55.7 cu ft of cargo space whereas my 99 Mountaineer has 81 cubic feet. The Xterra has 66 cu ft of cargo space. Not great.

Damn those numbers are bad for full size SUV's. My wife has a Honda CRV, which according to a website has 72 cu ft for cargo. Which is plenty to take my wife and two kids on vacation to the beach with all the gear that goes along for beach vacation.

A neighbor has a Mountaineer that I believe is a 92, bought it the exact same day as my wife's SUV. The neighbor has hated the Mountaineer the whole time after seeing my wife's car. Doesn't like that it is bigger, but doesn't really have much more room, doesn't like that it is not as good on gas, doesn't like that it was much more expensive ( her words, I have no idea how much a mountaineer is ).

To me the bigger/full size SUV's don't offer that much more value for the extra price. A full size SUV's will run you almost 10K more, and you really don't get that much more space. I think the CRV's and Ford Escapes are pretty good values, but that is just me.

H3, no way.

CRM114 08-16-05 07:16 PM

Add a dog to the mix. When we go on vacation and take the dog, we need to save half the back area for the dog. The last time, we were totally strapped for space. I also like it big enough to strap a canoe or Xmas tree on top and high enough to clear heavy snow. I once moved two twin beds with boxsprings, the frames and the head boards with all doors closed. I can load pretty much everything - length is important to me.

My Mountaineer was around $30K at the time but it has leather, power everything, sunroof, 7 speakers, etc. I like it a lot. Thats why I have a feeling I will end up with a stocked Ford Explorer when its all said and done. Or I can continue to hope Acura revs the MDX and adds some size to it.

damn_skippy 08-16-05 10:55 PM

Mostly it's the gas mileage and decreased ecological footprint--besides, what girl wants a guy who spews out an extra 8 or 10 tons of greenhouse gas--but I do have an eye for the entire package. The body styling drives me wild--I *love* it, so much better than the old one! The rims, yeah, OK, that's cool too, but it's all about the mileage and economy.

So basically your saying "it's not size of the boat its the motion of the ocean."
;)
Truth be told if they could come up with a clean burning truck that can pull as much as the my chevy does i would buy it. Without it though I would not be as well off.

Obey The D 08-17-05 08:38 AM

Question. Does the Xterra come with leather and other creature comforts?

There's still no option for leather in the Xterra. It's pretty bare bones in terms of interior amenities. You may want to take a look at the new Pathfinder.

dork 08-17-05 09:21 AM

I'm curious. When did being liberal (as in not being a stuffed shirt conservative) mean being concerned with gas mileage?

My impression was that many liberals are not overly pleased with our Persian Gulf policy of late. I could be wrong, though.

tcoursen 08-17-05 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by dork
My impression was that many liberals are not overly pleased with our Persian Gulf policy of late. I could be wrong, though.

It will be OK for him to get an SUV and still be a liberal, as long as he doesn't put a support the troops ribbon on it.

ShagMan 08-17-05 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've heard that said about the Original Durangos.

BTW, I don't know about the H3's on "Nasty Terrain" but this H2 didn't do so good.;)

Hummer Bummer Watch it in Full Screen so you can see what happens. $$$$$$$

That's interesting, must be a common problem, I saw this exact same thing happen on another H2.

al_bundy 08-17-05 10:07 AM

I never looked at an H3 in person but you are right. According to some quick research, the H3 has a mere 55.7 cu ft of cargo space whereas my 99 Mountaineer has 81 cubic feet. I don't want to to downsize. :) The Jeep Liberty does indeed have more cargo space (and I thought the Cherokee was small!)

I guess the H3 is off the list. It does look cool though.

Question. Does the Xterra come with leather and other creature comforts? I was turned off my the X-games type demographic they were going after with waterproof seats and what not. The Xterra has 66 cu ft of cargo space. Not great.

ha

my toyota matrix has around 50 cubic feet with the back seats down

CRM114 08-17-05 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by dork

yes....and....how does that relate to the car I drive? BTW, we get most of our oil from Canada.

tcoursen 08-17-05 10:35 AM

yes....and....how does that relate to the car I drive? BTW, we get most of our oil from Canada.

Well, did you watch six feet under last Sunday night. Daughter ( liberal ) freeked out on a person driving a SUV.

When I do listen to Air America I have heard callers complain about SUV's and stuff.

I have heard liberals I know call it a war for oil and that if everybody wasn't driving around in SUV's. Etc. Etc.

Go to democraticunderground.com. Lots of posts there about evil republicans and their SUV's. Many there wouldn't consider you a liberal for wanting a SUV.

It certainly isn't ALL liberals that are anti-SUV, but there certainly is a decent % of liberals that are anti-SUV.

al_bundy 08-17-05 11:07 AM

pay a visit to NYC or anywhere in the NY, NJ, Conn or PA sometime

SUV's as far as the eye can see

what you hear is mostly naive college kids complaining and a few leftover hippies

tcoursen 08-17-05 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
pay a visit to NYC or anywhere in the NY, NJ, Conn or PA sometime

SUV's as far as the eye can see

what you hear is mostly naive college kids complaining and a few leftover hippies

I don't think it is the liberals in those states that are the ones driving the SUV's. It is the people in the richer/wealthy suburbs.

NJ is a blue state because of the large cities like Newark, Camden, jersey city, etc. I don't think too many people in those cities are driving SUV's.

Obey The D 08-17-05 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by tcoursen
I don't think it is the liberals in those states that are the ones driving the SUV's. It is the people in the richer/wealthy suburbs.

NJ is a blue state because of the large cities like Newark, Camden, jersey city, etc. I don't think too many people in those cities are driving SUV's.

When I worked in Newark I saw plenty of these:

http://www.nopinationals.com/2002/ca...pple%20Red.jpg

al_bundy 08-17-05 12:29 PM

you have no idea what you are talking about

the SUV craze here started in 1996 when there was a huge snowfall. now people just like to driver them here for status. NYC is 90% democrat too. Plenty of democrats work on wall street.

CRM114 08-17-05 12:32 PM

Well, did you watch six feet under last Sunday night. Daughter ( liberal ) freeked out on a person driving a SUV.

When I do listen to Air America I have heard callers complain about SUV's and stuff.

I have heard liberals I know call it a war for oil and that if everybody wasn't driving around in SUV's. Etc. Etc.

Go to democraticunderground.com. Lots of posts there about evil republicans and their SUV's. Many there wouldn't consider you a liberal for wanting a SUV.

It certainly isn't ALL liberals that are anti-SUV, but there certainly is a decent % of liberals that are anti-SUV.

I'd think there are quite a few conservatives that are anti-SUV. Its like being anti-smoking - there is no party that owns the sentiment.

tcoursen 08-17-05 12:48 PM

I'd think there are quite a few conservatives that are anti-SUV. Its like being anti-smoking - there is no party that owns the sentiment.

I agree with that. I am a republican and am anti-suv, but really only to the extent that I won't buy one myself. I see no problem with being a liberal and having a SUV.

It seems to me that the liberal anti-suv people are a little more vocal about their opposition to them.