Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How long did it take for you to conceive?

Old 08-15-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How long did it take for you to conceive?

tbird's thread got me to thinking...

How long did it take for you and your SO to conceive? My wife and I are about a month away from trying to have a little sea monkey. Just wish we could go to the doctor and get a prescription for a one month gestation!

Last edited by atlantamoi; 08-15-05 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 09:45 AM

30 seconds.
Old 08-15-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Take off the condom.

a couple months. If you want to speed along the process, pick up some books, there are specific days of the month related to your wife's cycle that are the only time that she can get pregnant. Keep track and try on those days.
Old 08-15-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Both times we decided to have kids, it worked the first time (or at least the next day, I suppose). Don't expect that to happen, however. I have super sperm. I try to be on the internet rather than close to actual B&M women because of the fear that they will get pregnant just due to proximity with me.
Old 08-15-05, 10:10 AM
Banned

Jello Jr. is now 35 weeks and almost here. The wife and I had sex twice after she went off the pill to make him.

I have super sperm. (And it wears little green capes)
Old 08-15-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Green Jello
Jello Jr. is now 35 weeks and almost here. The wife and I had sex twice after she went off the pill to make him.
Is there a cetain time you're suposed to go off the pill, like when the package runs out, or do you just quit whenever you want, mid-month?
Old 08-15-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With the first and second kids, it took about 4-6 months to get pregnant... but the third one only took 3-4 months... and this one (to our surprise) only took about 2 months, but that was "trying" 4-5 times a week... since we had finally moved the third kid into his brother's room in May, we had our bedroom to ourselves.

We were trying for another May baby, but it looks like we are getting a March one instead. There's goes my Spring Break!

Old 08-15-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The first time we tried.
Old 08-15-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Negative 5 years at least, hopefully.
Old 08-15-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

First time every time.

I wanted to get a few more shots in before it took effect. Oh well.
Old 08-15-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
With each kid it was instant. All we did was say we wanted another one and "poof" she was pregnant. Which sucks because as a guy I was hoping for a little difficulties during the conception process. I have super sperm kind of like what kvr was saying.

Now here i am with my wife is 3 days past due.
Old 08-15-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It took my wife and I 13 years to conceive. But then once I convinced her to have sex with me, it happened pretty quickly.
Old 08-15-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't imagine what you guys are talking about.
Old 08-15-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Is there a cetain time you're suposed to go off the pill, like when the package runs out, or do you just quit whenever you want, mid-month?
Uhhh, my ob-gyn said that a woman should be off the pill at least 6 months before even trying--let all that stuff get out of your system and whatnot. I would imagine that's 6 months of condoms.

Stopping the pill in the middle of the month because you lost your packet or if a pill falls down the sink drain causes... issues.
Old 08-15-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know yet. My wife and I aren't necessarily trying, but we're also not taking preventative measures. I don't think my wife gets pregnant easily.
Old 08-15-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I can't imagine what you guys are talking about.
OK, let me try this approach... sometimes, Numanoid, when a mommy and a daddy love each other very much...
Old 08-15-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife went off the pill and was trying the type of birth control where she wrote down her temperatue each day. I guess they can only get pregant certain times of the month.

Well she messed up righting the temperature on the correct day or something and two positive pregnancy tests later I finally believed it...

Were pumped tho...
Old 08-15-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PrincessT
Uhhh, my ob-gyn said that a woman should be off the pill at least 6 months before even trying--let all that stuff get out of your system and whatnot.
Any more info on this? Some friends of ours just got pregnant after being off the pill for only a couple weeks.
Old 08-15-05, 03:13 PM

I'm ususally a lurker, but I had to chime in on this one. It took us less than a month to get pregnant, but we weren't trying. We weren't being entirely careful either! I was just shocked that after being on the pill for 10 years straight that it was just that easy. Less than a month after stopping it, with only one or two unprotected occassions (as best we can remember) and I was knocked up. Ironically enough, I had stopped taking the pill to clear the chemicals out of my system so I could take a fertility test. Guess this clears that question up. But my husband and I are thrilled, and just amazed at our luck (and his warrior sperm).
Old 08-15-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both my kids were oops babies. Anytime we tried to conceive, it turned out poorly....
Old 08-15-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
With the first and second kids, it took about 4-6 months to get pregnant... but the third one only took 3-4 months... and this one (to our surprise) only took about 2 months, but that was "trying" 4-5 times a week... since we had finally moved the third kid into his brother's room in May, we had our bedroom to ourselves.

We were trying for another May baby, but it looks like we are getting a March one instead. There's goes my Spring Break!

I need to amend this.

My wife informed me that we concieved our first child right of the bat... within a few weeks of going off the pill.

#2 and #3 took 3-4 months.

Sorry for misinforming you... and sorry honey for forgetting important things like that.
Old 08-15-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, I decided to google it. Looks like there are no bad side-effects to getting pregnant right after quitting the pill. The only dangers are false-positives, since your period may be irregular in that time. So if you are drinking regularly or doing other things that a pregnant woman shouldn't do, you may continue these things without knowing you are pregnant (and that woud be bad). Likewise, you may get excited about being pregnant when it's really just an irregular period from stopping the pills. But other than that, it's perfectly fine.

Why wait to conceive?
Since many women's cycles become irregular after they stop taking the Pill, those who are using no method of birth control are never quite sure when or whether they have conceived. In reality, many women don't even ovulate until a month or more after they've finished their last cycle of pills. Women who are used to the extreme regularity of their cycles on the Pill often wonder, Is my period late because I'm pregnant or because my cycles haven't become regular yet? This leads to three potential problems:

* If you ovulate quickly after discontinuing your pills and get pregnant, you may not be aware that you've conceived and therefore may still be doing the things you shouldn't, like regularly drinking alcohol, lots of coffee, or caffeinated soda.

* If you get pregnant in the first month or two, it won't be clear when you conceived, and your practitioner may have difficulty establishing an accurate due date for you. This problem can be somewhat ameliorated with an early ultrasound but that is an expensive alternative to simply knowing the date of a reliable, regular last period.

* If your periods coming off the Pill are irregular, you may start wondering constantly if you are pregnant. This can be immensely frustrating (not to mention expensive if you keep buying home pregnancy tests to check.) Also, you may end up feeling as if you and your partner have been trying to conceive for months, when in reality you've only just had your first off-the-Pill ovulation.

Does getting pregnant soon after being on the Pill have medical risks?
Sometimes when a couple decides to get pregnant, they are raring to go and want to get started right away. If this sounds like you, there's good news--it does not pose a serious medical problem to conceive immediately after discontinuing the Pill. There are no known birth defects caused by birth control pills, whether you are taking pills at the time of conception or have just recently discontinued them. In addition, no risk of miscarriage or any other pregnancy complication has been linked to the Pill. The greatest arguments for delaying pregnancy a couple of months are simply the ones listed above.

Link
In short... if you're getting off the pill to get pregnant, live like you are already pregant to be prepared.
Old 08-15-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-15-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Within about a week. My seed could penetrate NORAD's defenses.
Old 08-15-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will have to ask my parents.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.