Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

So, when did everyone go insane?

Old 08-14-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, when did everyone go insane?

The boyfriend and I went grocery shopping tonight. We have a fold-up cart that we take with us because we live 8 blocks from the supermarket. By the time we were finished, it had started to rain buckets. We tried to wait it out, but after 10 minutes or so we decided to just go for it. Can't let the ice cream melt.

Of course, after a block we're thoroughly soaked. Shirt, pants, hell, even my underwear. We see the bus coming, so we run over to catch it. We're both standing off to the side to let other passengers get off, and as soon as the driver sees us, he says, "No carts!". I just stare at him in disbelief. Here we are, obviously soaked to the bone with $80 of groceries and he won't let us get on. So I just kind of smile at him and ask him if we can't get on, we're only going five blocks... and he says he can't break the no cart rule and we can't get on. Nevermind the fact that a woman just got off with a stroller. That's a pretty selective rule. I say "you've got to be kidding, it's pouring, let us on!"

Then the passengers start yelling at us! Some fat bald guy called me an asshole, so I called him a few choice things, and he says "please, there's a kid here." Of course, he started the profanity. Then he raises his fist like he's going to attack me, so I just smile and tell him that if he wants to fight, I'll be glad to (I'm 6 feet tall, 220 lbs.). He walks away.

To top it all off, some old woman calls us a name, so I said something to her in response and she threatens to cut my testicles off.

I mean, fuck. What the hell is wrong with people?
Old 08-14-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did the ice cream melt?
Old 08-14-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So people really are rude in NYC?

I thought that was just a stereotype.
Old 08-14-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn.
Old 08-14-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm. When I was in Boston, all the people were totally polite, even on crowded subways.

It must be a NYC thing. Some thick skin seems to be a residency requirement.
Old 08-14-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

TB: That was suck, but I'm glad to hear you didn't actually have to fight anyone.

But hey! What happened? Did you call a cab, or just run the rest of the way home?
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
So people really are rude in NYC? I thought that was just a stereotype.
Not much different out here in L.A., although I'm starting to think NY is a nicer place to live in comparison to Los Angeles.

Men & Women, Boys & Girls, young & old alike, are all growing testicles these days.*

-Paul

*(Sig Material - Otter Forum - Copyright 2005)

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-14-05 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-14-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ranger
Hmm. When I was in Boston, all the people were totally polite, even on crowded subways.

It must be a NYC thing. Some thick skin seems to be a residency requirement.
Oh, definitely. It was just totally a bewildering experience, as the other people weren't involved in any way. They just decided they had a few minutes to be incredible assholes with no provocation. They weren't even together, far as I could tell.

If it had just been the bus driver, I would have shrugged it off.
Old 08-14-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it could have been worse. You could have been at a pizza parlor in Akron, Ohio and get beaten down by some 350-pound gorilla while everyone else just watched (y'all remember that one?).
I'd just advise you to never escalate a situation, just ignore them and you'll live longer.
Old 08-14-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Edit King
TB: That was suck, but I'm glad to hear you didn't actually have to fight anyone.

But hey! What happened? Did you call a cab, or just run the rest of the way home?
Hey, thanks TEK!

We just walked the rest of the way home. It's not like they were seriously going to attack us.
Old 08-14-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

NO CARTS!
Old 08-14-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A few years ago I was riding my bicycle and got a flat tire. Of course my pump was not on the bike. So I started walking toward a friends house a few miles away.

A bus came and I tried to get on. The guy said "NO BIKES!" and I told him I just needed to go six blocks so he said okay.

People are nice.
Old 08-14-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Been to NYC once. As a tourist, but more or less just hung out.

Some people are so high-and-mighty about how it's such a great city. May-be. There's so many cool acts, concerts, etc. going on. But there's so many arrogant, ignorant, feisty people. And it's not like that "one guy a day that accidently cuts you off" in Phoenix. It's like every five minutes you see something that is just fucking retarded.

Everybody calls it a great place, but seem so pissed off that they have to live there.

Driving is a bitch. And I've never even DRIVEN around there! But it's a hell of a ride. You take a cab from the airport to the hotel, and see, like, thirty near-accidents (a handful caused by cabbies). There was even a guy who did a 90deg skid, eveyone slammed on their breaks, and then he reoriented and drove away. NEVER seen anything like that, and NEVER seen it again. It seems like people are better at reacting to car accidents than preventing them!

It's like everything that happened in that Simpsons episode is SOOO true! Unless on business, or something, I'd never return.

On the other hand, I love going to LA. Can't say that people are particularly friendly and courteous (like I encounted in Seattle), but everyone sort of kept to themselves. Lots of DANDY people. Wanna-be actors and stuff. Nobody pumping fists and shit.

I've driven myself around. Sometimes taking a left, then an immediate right turn can be a bitch ... since everywhere can be so crowded.

It's a great place. Well, other than that funny odor as you enter the San Bernidino (sp?) Valley area. I plan on moving there in a couple years...

In NYC, I met assholes. In LA, I met 'characters'.
Old 08-14-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because the MTA is Satan's corporation and they are sent here to collect our souls to go straight to hell.
Old 08-14-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed... People have really gone insane when they try to bring a cart onto a bus. You normally push your cart 8 blocks full of groceries? I've never heard of such a thing outside of the homeless shoppers market.

I guess it's different in NYC... are these carts typical? I've never even seen one.
Old 08-14-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Agreed... People have really gone insane when they try to bring a cart onto a bus. You normally push your cart 8 blocks full of groceries? I've never heard of such a thing outside of the homeless shoppers market.

I guess it's different in NYC... are these carts typical? I've never even seen one.
Yeah, pretty much. If you don't own a car (and most people don't)...
Old 08-14-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Craziness. Any pics of such a fold-up cart? I want one to be the hip guy in Seattle who starts the trend.
Old 08-15-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Craziness. Any pics of such a fold-up cart? I want one to be the hip guy in Seattle who starts the trend.
I think this is the exact one I own! It's a sweet ride.

Old 08-15-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Can you get it in Viper Blue?
Old 08-15-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, that's a small cart. But I wouldn't have expected the bus driver to let me on the bus. I certainly wouldn't have caused a ruckus either I suppose that's why I would never survive in NY.
Old 08-15-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I think this is the exact one I own! It's a sweet ride.

Wow... you couldn't pay me to push that thing 8 blocks downtown full of groceries, much less bring it on a bus. But if people do that around there, more power to you.

Crazy New Yorkers...
Old 08-15-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well someone told me to eat poo ***. They didn't say it exactly like that. There is a small chance I was walking near a cigarette and the people in the car were from england and maybe they just wanted the cigarette to jump in thier buts.
Old 08-15-05, 12:33 AM
Banned

The driver is probably a homophobe.
Old 08-15-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They let you take carts on the cat bus!
Old 08-15-05, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I see plenty of middle aged women with those
Old 08-15-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Roto
I see plenty of homeless women with those
Fixed.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.