Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

New to the Bay Area...heading to San Fran for the first time

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-13-05, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's the best way to pull this off?? I've heard parking is too damn expensive in SF, that is if you can even find it. I'm down in San Jose and want to check out "The City" and have been told to either take Caltrain the whole way or do something like drive up to Redwood City or Burlingame and take Caltrain or BART the rest of the way.

What do Bay Area DVDTalkers suggest? Drive up all the way, take a train the whole way or a combo?
Old 08-13-05, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Go around and tell the locals you're really happy to be in "San Fran". Better yet, tell 'em you love being here in "Frisco".
Old 08-13-05, 11:49 AM
X
Administrator

It totally depends on where and when you'e going. You can park cheaply or for free or you can spend $30 based on the answer. Generally parking isn't all that expensive if you don't need to park for business.

And don't call it "Frisco"!
Old 08-13-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The hotel I'm staying at charges $38.00 a night to park! I got a room for $70.00 a night but WTF!!
Old 08-13-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I go to all the usual tourist spots like Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, etc am I going to get ripped off with parking. I've heard if you dont know the right places to park you can get screwed or not even find a place to park.
Old 08-13-05, 12:28 PM
X
Administrator

If you go on Sunday, street parking is free. It may get charged right by Fisherman's Wharf though, I forget.

There are lots right by Fisherman's Wharf that aren't very expensive for a few hours, but you can park on neighborhood streets for free, like in the Marina district, and walk or take a bus (really not necessary). Even during the week.

You could park on the street in the Marina district and take the #30 bus and pass by the Wharf and Chinatown, use a pass to get on and off for a few hours, and buy another ticket later if you need to in order to return to your car. Just watch the posted length of time on the particular street.

But again, Sunday and evening street parking is free almost everywhere, and not all that difficult.
Old 08-13-05, 09:24 PM

I don't know where you're from originally, but if you've never had it before, you need to pick up some actual San Francisco Sourdough bread.. it's the best stuff on the planet.
Old 08-14-05, 12:30 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

7-7 parking meters around fishermans. which is a huge pain in the ass.

we eat at Fog City Diner once a week, and you always have to pay the meter. even sunday afternoon/evening.

I like parking in the sutter/stockton parking lot on sundays.
It is $6 all day, which is a deal. then you are right at the entrance to chinatown, and you can walk from there thru chinatown to north beach, and then to fishermans.
Old 08-14-05, 01:22 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I like parking in the sutter/stockton parking lot on sundays.
It is $6 all day, which is a deal. then you are right at the entrance to chinatown, and you can walk from there thru chinatown to north beach, and then to fishermans.
That's a pretty long walk!

It's fairly easy to park on the street in North Beach, particularly east of Columbus on Sundays and evenings. I'll probably be doing that myself tomorrow.
Old 08-14-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I made the trip and it worked out rather well. I parked in two different lots and ended up just paying 12 bucks total. I'd say that is pretty good for being there from noon to 9pm
Old 08-14-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought you died recently?