Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

This sucks. Have to go to a funeral tomorrow for someone I went to highschool with.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

This sucks. Have to go to a funeral tomorrow for someone I went to highschool with.

Old 08-13-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

Well I'm actually just going to the viewing at the funeral home.
Penny, girl I went to highschool with, died on Tuesday. 26 years old. Not sure of cause of death but likely related to the fact that she was paralyzed from the neck down due to a car accident*. I wasn't a close friend, but always got along with her in highschool. Too young to be dying.

*Senior year another member of our class drown in Lake Erie, I think in late May, early June, pretty close to the end of the year.
On the way to the funeral home the girl driving the car Penny was riding in ran a stop sign about a quarter mile from the school. Kid in my class plowed into them, totally not his fault, and Penny got thrown out the back window and got a broken neck, was paralyzed ever since.
Old 08-13-05, 01:01 AM
Premium Member

Unfortunate, but you better start getting prepared for more of it.. I've found that it's getting more and more frequent as the years go on with my HS class (obvious, but hard to deal with sometimes)
Old 08-13-05, 01:26 AM
Suspended

During my senior year, one of our classmates dropped dead during basketball practice. They never figured out exactly why. Her heart just stopped beating. It sucked.
Old 08-13-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry for your loss. Not the best way to have a class reunion.
Old 08-13-05, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So many complications with quadrapalegics. Sorry to hear it

for some good news:
A girl I went to elementary school with was in a car accident in 5th grade that left her a parapalegic. She was very shy, but also the smartest girl in our school, other than maybe her older sisters. After the accident she actually became a lot more outgoing, and the extra attention from the wheelchair didn't bother her.

I just did a search on her name and found out she's a former Miss Teen Washington, and now she's a lawyer. Well, I guess nobody's perfect.
Old 08-13-05, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A member of my class died one month before our 10-year high school reunion.

Three people from my class have died since graduation. All of them have involved auto accidents.

It's unavoidable and it really sucks.
Old 08-13-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's rough. I had my first High School friend death when we were both 19. He died of complications from Diabetes... something to do with either his liver or kidneys. Out of all my friends, he was probably one of the ones I least expected to die young. I hung out with the "party people" who drank and did drugs, but he was one of the few in our group who never touched the stuff. It was kind of like "Why him?" you know?

We weren't the best of friends, but I saw him on a daily basis and he was always really sweet to me. He used to pick me up all the time, and he'd throw me around in the pool during P.E. because I was so tiny and he was a giant. At least 6'6". He was homecoming king, too. Not one of the stereotypical jocks or "popular" kids, either. He was just nice to everyone and had a great sense of humor.

Having a classmate the same age as you die kind of puts into perspective how fragile life is, no matter what age you are. And how even if you're young, you're not immortal.

Sorry for your loss, Mike.
Old 08-13-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, as you start getting older you start to see your classmates die off. One of my classmates just died of a brain tumor, it really brings your life in to perspective and that you really don't have that much time.
Old 08-13-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My senior year in high school, a girl in my class killed herself. She had bipolar disorder. I still remember the gathering we had at the school. Just about everyone showed up. She was one of those girls that befriended everyone.

My sophmore year in high school, a guy I went to elementary school with killed himself. I was friends with him, but drifted apart through junior high and high school. Only 7 or 8 of us from my school went to his funeral. The interesting thing was that although I hadn't seen him or his family in at least 2 years, his mom still remembered all of us.

I haven't heard of any people I graduated with dying. Hopefully, nothing will happen before the 10 year reunion in 2007.
Old 08-13-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That does suck. I don't feel that old (graduated from high school in 1996), but I think we've already had one death, and one stroke. I do know that everyone seems to be getting married, though...yikes.
Old 08-14-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Well, the funeral was right after the viewing hours so we stayed for it. Probably about 10 of us that knew her in high school made the drive.
I hate to use this word when talking about funerals, but it was a good funeral. Well as good as one could be.
Afterwards we hit the village our school district is named for, got some food and hit the couple bars there and made some toasts.

Last edited by mikehunt; 08-14-05 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-14-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry to hear for your loss. As Im comming up on my 10 year reunion this fall, It made me think about some of the classmates from my graduating class that passed. I could only think on one. He was a dorky pasty white guy who was the school mascot (a Indian Warrior). He became a police officer and was struck in his patrol car from behind, and the POS Crown Vic he was in exploded. His family is now sueing Ford (along with several other Police families and departments) because his car had a faulty gas tank. had it been properly installed, he would have walked away with mild whiplash.
Old 08-14-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry to hear
Old 08-14-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm glad to hear you went.

Many folks won't go to funerals or viewings (for one reason or another), and I ought to know, because I used to be one of them. However, as much as I wished to remember the person alive (rather than seeing them in a casket), I found a greater reason than my selfishness to go, and that came in the purpose of helping to comfort the family members or other people there.