Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

hey, Canadians...

Old 08-13-05, 12:26 AM
Cool New Member

hey, Canadians...

Have any of you tried out ING bank, or know anyone who has? I see a lot of ads but I can't seem to find any feedback about them online - good or bad.
Old 08-13-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about ING, but PC Financial rocks, if you're looking for cheap banking.
Old 08-13-05, 12:44 AM
Cool New Member

Keeping in mind that my math skills are absolutely non-existent (the reason I hate, hate, hate banking of any kind) - I looked at both websites, but I was under the impression that PCFinancial, like most regular banks, offers certain interest rates based on how much you have in your account, whereas ING offers a (higher?) interest rate no matter how much or (in my case) little you have. Correct?
Old 08-13-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

PC Financial has an account called "Interest First" (http://www.banking.pcfinancial.ca/en...st_savings.jsp) that pays 2.15% right now (http://www.banking.pcfinancial.ca/en...eferid=sideNav)

I don't know if ING has any physical locations. You can use any CIBC bank machine to deposit and withdraw. There are also kiosks in Superstores that you can visit for other stuff.
Old 08-13-05, 01:05 AM
Cool New Member

ING (at least 2.40%, more if I take out a GIC, for reference's sake) has no physical locations, no (that is, not in any place even remotely convenient for me) - however, if I do use a card, they pay the first 4 bank machine fees per month. But seeing as I'm planning on using it as a savings account for a large purchase sometime in the not-really-near future, I'm not worried about that.
Old 08-13-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So you want to have an account so you can make a large purchase in the future? There are lots of other places to park your money.
Old 08-13-05, 01:12 AM
Cool New Member

I want a place to park my money for a large purchase in the future where:

a - I can get at it if I need it. Right now I'm pretty much living month-to-month. Most months I can make it, but every so often, if a large bill comes up, it can be extremely... difficult.
b - I don't need to make a minimum/maximum deposit every week/month/whatever - same reason as a.
c - It's slightly hard to get at it, so I'm not standing in Future Shop with a box set in my hands going "well, maybe just this once..."

If you know something better than ING or PCFinancial or whatever, that suits that, PLEASE tell me - every time I walk into a bank and start asking questions, my head is spinning after about 2 minutes and I'm ready to cry. The acronyms combined with the math combined with the rules - gah. It's too much. Combine that with a vague suspicion that they're trying to sell me what's best for them to sell, and not best for me to buy, and... yeah.
Old 08-13-05, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, I see. I highly recommend the PC Financial Interest First account then. You can put money into it right away, but it takes one day to transfer money out. As well, you can't withdraw money from it from a bank machine (at all). And there's no minimum to put in, there's no charges for anything.

I recommend PC Financial for daily banking as well. No charges for withdrawal, debit, transfers, bill payments, etc. Free cheques. It's the best deal in banking up here.
Old 08-13-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shazam
I recommend PC Financial for daily banking as well. No charges for withdrawal, debit, transfers, bill payments, etc. Free cheques. It's the best deal in banking up here.
I couldn't agree with you more.