DVD Talk Legend

Where?
Old 08-12-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

great pics, so great in fact that I can't see them
DVD Talk Hero

WTF!!!!!!!!!

I hit send and my damn wrist hit some keyboard stroke that deleted everything but a few letters. This sucks as I've spent way too much time with this little travelogue.

ARRRGGGHHH! I gotta start over now.

At least I'd save all the URLs on an email.
DVD Talk Hero

Damn you guys are fast.
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-12-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well time to get typing again.

I really poured my heart and soul into this thread. I don't think I can dig that deep again. *sniff
Old 08-12-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<---- still hungry
Old 08-12-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You may want to have a snack. It's gonna take some time.
Old 08-12-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Old 08-12-05, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Is this like an Edit King thread?
Old 08-12-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If Buford starts a thread, "Have you EVER DELETED everything you typed by accident?" then yes it may be like an editking thread.
Old 08-12-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only time I can truly use this.

:nopics:
Old 08-12-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 08-12-05, 11:46 PM

Am I going to have to wait all night??!!!
Old 08-12-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RandyC
Is this like an Edit King thread?

Nope. Nothing like your cousin's threads.

waporvare-thanks for getting my back.

AudioWizard-niiiice.

spankasmurf-I'm working on it. I also had three eBay auctions ending and had to notify the buyers. There are 39 photos so it takes time to write up the info.
Old 08-13-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay. Here goes my second try.

Last month Mrs. Pusser and I enjoyed a romantic July 4th weekend in Chicago. I asked for tips in the Going to Chicago. Any hot new stuff to do? thread and promised to post pics later. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=chicago

So I've been putting off doing this thread and ChiTownAbs kept asking me to get it done. So he'd better like it!

If you just wanna see the typical shots of the Pussers in front of landmarks posing for the camera and purty pix of buildings and sunsets you might wanna leave before they all load as you're sure to be disappointed. I tried to put some Pusser personality into the shots and not always go for the obvious. There are plenty of pix here where you might say "why the hell did he shoot that and why did he share it with us?" Why? Because it seemed interesting or humorous or reminded me of the trip in some way.

I made them small and squashed them into medium jpegs so they would show up fast. But the quality is lacking sharpness-wise so I think I went too far.

Okay that's enough blabbing.

With that we'll start on the road to Chicago. The quality on these is worse because they are copy shots of 4X6 prints taken with our old Olympus Stylus film camera.

Mrs. Pusser was driving and almost had an accident with a triple-trailer (don't know what they're called) FedEx truck as she was trying to exit to the rest stop.

So 20 minutes later we were back on the road and less than a mile later traffic stopped. Another mile and 25 minutes later we came up to the FedEx truck. The car on the side looks like it hit the backend of the truck and veered off.

This car got it up the backside by the truck. You can even see the guy still in there as we passed by.

Once we checked in at the Swissotel we went for a walk on Michigan Avenue. We stopped at Millenium Park because I wanted to see the aerial photos of Chicago exhibit. Some nice stuff.

Here's a tourist shot to keep your interest.

This woman was looking at the pix and sporting currency in her ear. Is this some new fad I don't know about?

Then we got a shot of the bean which was undergoing rehab. Ahh, the old peace sign behind the head trick.

When I saw Mrs. Pusser's favorite, Owen Wilson, I had to get a shot.

We found an artist that does names with paints, not sure what the art is called, but it's very nice. Mrs. Pusser ordered one up for our daughter who loves all things Asian. Of course she'd already bought some American Girl stuff for her. We can't visit without hitting that place. MILF heaven as Peddy might say.

Then it was on to dinner at Heaven On Seven, a cajun comfort food kinda place. Our food arrived in less than five minutes and they had plenty of hot sauce to choose from.

The next morning I checked out the Navy Pier and Lake Michigan from our hotel. I found the boats and lighthouse more interesting than the pier so no photo of the Pier.

Old 08-13-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We headed to the Pier area for an architectural boat tour. The boat was packed so we opted to take one an hour later. In the meantime we checked out some outdoor sculptures in front of the Pier.

At first I thought I'd stumbled into ChiTownAbs family but it was not to be. Here's one of those tourist shots for ya!

I shot this for photochop usage but didn't do anything with it so knock yourself out.

People were posing like crazy at this Bob Newhart installation. Mrs. Pusser said sitting straight wasn't the way to do it and thought a reclining position would be better. Yes dear.

After that we looked at the Stained Glass Museum at the pier-the only thing of real interest that we found. They had all kinds of great glass most of which you won't see in my photos.

This one shows one piece reflected in another piece.

When I saw this I thought psycho Marge Simpson or WhoGirl in that photo where she's holding a knife. Don't know if that was the artist's intention.

Mrs. Pusser said we'd better get to the boat and took off as I was shooting this one.

We're on the boat and it provided a different angle on the twin towers of Chicago.

Here's the underside of a street bridge.

One of many reflected building photos you can get on the tour.

I like the textures and juxtaposition of the different elements and thought I'd share that with you.

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 08-13-05 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-13-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This larger women ad made me think of Giantrobo so this shot is dedicated to him. Of course there's already been a thread about the ad campaign. Nothing gets by this place. Note the bottle is used as heavy symbolism. Don't want you to miss that.

We were getting hungry so we went to the Billy Goat Tavern, made famous by Belushi and Akroyd on SNL. Cheesborger, no chips, Coke/Pepsi, etc. I'm a fan of former Chicago Trib columnist Mike Royko's work and he would sometimes write about the place. RIP Mike.

These softball trophies were earned by Royko who pitched for the team.

You'll see the occasional cool car on Michigan Ave. IIRC this was a Lamborghini. That guy was ready to ditch his wife and her fanny pack for a ride in the canary car.

Mrs. Pusser wanted to get the boys some toys at the LEGO store so we were there for awhile. I passed the time stalking the customers.

These life size recreations via LEGOs were pretty cool-quite a few Star Wars geeks were excited to see these.

This woman wasn't as excited and fell asleep .

By this time we were also getting sleepy so we decided to sit back and do some people watching. I don't think this woman was on her way to the Billy Goat.

This guy reminded me of Geraldo Rivera mixed with John Stossel although I also wondered if maybe it was The Edit King.

Bears! I wondered if Grunter would approve.

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 08-13-05 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-13-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Back to walking. This sailor seemed happy to be on leave. While we were waiting for the light there were some guys trying to do quick shoe shines and the sailor jumped fast to avoid their spray bottle. Sorry I missed that shot. I guess I was distracted.

The Chicago Cultural Center has some nice exhibits. This one was interesting as those forms are made of human hair. After I shot the photo a guard said NO PICS! so this one is just for us. Shhhhh.

The place has some gorgeous Tiffany glass and lighting fixtures. Admission is free so check it out.

We went back to the hotel and then went to dinner at the Green Zebra-fancy pants vegeterian food. Excellent but we were still hungry after we left. They brought our second course twice so we had to skip the sweet stuff as we had to meet an old college friend to watch the fireworks.

First we watched from outside the hotel. Okay view.

I thought we should go down toward Millenium Park and the view was slightly better but the damn trees were in the way.

After that my friend's daughter wanted to see the park. She lives in a burb and the parents she now lives with don't seem to go downtown and do anything.

She loved the water and video area. They even projected OldDude for us!

Then we watched the wacky kids of today get wet.

I had to get a shot of my friends since I don't see them that often. Last time my friend's daughter was 10 and now she's turned 16 and is almost six feet tall. My friend snagged a woman 15 years younger. Must be his red Ferrari.

We decided to mess around with the strobe and do a goofy shot and it worked out pretty good for my first try with the multi-flash.

And that's it!

If you're still reading, congrats!

Old 08-13-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow, Awesome pictures, Buford!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-13-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

See muggins-it's not that hard to get pix of people you don't know. Go for it!
Old 08-13-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah...I don't know how you do it though.

I mean, like the picture of the kid next to R2-D2...I'd be worried about getting hauled off to jail.

What kind of zoom did you use to get the one of the female Samuel L. Jackson with the coin in her ear?

The picture with Rivera/Stossel/TEK has me laughing uncontrollably though. That is great!
Old 08-13-05, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hauled off to jail? You must project shifty.

70-200mm on the coin lady. I believe it was at 200mm. She wasn't far away though.

edit to add: I just went back and looked and she does look like Samuel L. Jackson.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.