Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Car question about Chevy engines

Old 08-12-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Car question about Chevy engines

I am about to purchase a 77-80 Monte Carlo that I am going to restore. I know very little about engine and transmissions I am trying to self educate myself before things really get serious. If I get a basic 350 engine (300-400 HP) what would I need to do with the tranny? Also am I limited in what type of engine I can buy with the make/modle I choose or will any chevy crate engine do? Lastly are there any good websites for newbs like me to learn more about engines?
Old 08-12-05, 04:17 PM
Banned

Moving to car forum.......

Wait,...we don't have one. Moving to another website.....
Old 08-12-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Basic 350 and 300-400HP are not to things that go together.
Old 08-12-05, 04:44 PM
Suspended

so

you dont know much about car engines
but you're going to restore a 30 yr old car.
and you come to a dvdforum for help.

formula for success right there
Old 08-12-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by linkoaljara
so

you dont know much about car engines
but you're going to restore a 30 yr old car.
and you come to a dvdforum for help.

formula for success right there
I simply asked if anyone here could point me in the right direction without sifting through the millions of dead car forums on the internet asshole comments are not needed. Thank you.
Old 08-12-05, 05:20 PM
Suspended

www.chevycarengines.com
Old 08-12-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by linkoaljara
DEAD LINK PLEASE TROLL SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

*remembers why I lurk and rarely post*
Old 08-12-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by tsohg
I simply asked if anyone here could point me in the right direction without sifting through the millions of dead car forums on the internet asshole comments are not needed. Thank you.

A bit hostile today aren't we?

I believe linkoaljara was just having a bit of fun. Don't take it so seriously.

Try this: Chevy Muscle Car Forums (less talk about DVDs)
Old 08-12-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree - I don't know why I even bother sometimes... it's like most people here think they are on some sort of Hollywood Squares from hell where they have to give a bad joke answer or character assault before or instead of giving any real advice.

You might have to get new mounts for the engine unless they make an engine specifically for that car and if you're putting a much more powerful engine in an older car, the stock transmission won't likely handle the load very well and it's advised to change that out too.

I'd look on another forum or do some google research - there's probably some website where someone has created some elaborate schematics showing how to do exactly what you're planning on doing. The internet is a big place and asking advice on here can often to be a huge waste of time and possibly damaging to the self esteem and faith in humanity etc...
Old 08-12-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank you Sonicflood and Trigger.
I have been checking alot of Chevy and general car forums but alot of them are dead or rarely updated. I asked here because I have seen people give great advice about everything from credit scores to washing machine repair so I figured why not ask about cars? I only make a thread about every six months so I figured what the hell but I guess we live and learn. So much for that room painting thread I had planned
Old 08-12-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you Sonicflood and Trigger.
I have been checking alot of Chevy and general car forums but alot of them are dead or rarely updated. I asked here because I have seen people give great advice about everything from credit scores to washing machine repair so I figured why not ask about cars? I only make a thread about every six months so I figured what the hell but I guess we live and learn. So much for that room painting thread I had planned
geez - why don't you just go to the 'watchingpaintdry.org' forums to get the answers you seek? They're a lively bunch I'm sure. Paint is not DVDs.
Old 08-12-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

tsohg

I once restored a 1966 Chevelle, it had a 289 and the point was to be 100% stock, not 100% muscle. The things I had to figure out were different from what you are trying for.

I will offer this advice, it is a lot of work, time and money (it is always more money than you plan for no matter how well you plan). Unless you TRULY want the experience of re-building a car just to learn and to say you did it, you are better off buying one that someone else already fixed up

There is an annual car show in Carlisle PA where you can find just about anything you want from parts to entire cars, bring cash and be ready to deal.

There is also a rag called Hemmings that can probably be of some help

http://www.hemmings.com/
Old 08-12-05, 11:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trigger
geez - why don't you just go to the 'watchingpaintdry.org' forums to get the answers you seek? They're a lively bunch I'm sure. Paint is not DVDs.

wrong link.

its www.helpmepaint.edu
Old 08-13-05, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mr. Backwards Ghost,

Listen to 4KRG, this is a commitment you are going into. I think it would be a better idea to restore a car without doind a drivetrain swap. There is a lot to learn. Interesting choice of cars by the way. If you do this, you will need help from others who have gone down this path. At DVDtalk, we can probably only offer generic advice, like "DON'T DO IT!!!" Locally we have a used car parts swapmeet and you can find old parts and old people who can help you. It would be easier to find a car that has some sort of support group.

4KRG, I would sell the left one for a 60's Chevelle. Brings back memories.

Trigger, part of the forum is reaping what you sow. Sorry. The other part is that it reflects life, in that there are all kinds of people, and this is the internet. Ignore those that don't answer your questions. Some are here for humor. Some for sharing information. Some for attention. I would guess most of us are here for a mix of the three.

Moving to Car Forum...
Old 08-13-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RandyC
Trigger, part of the forum is reaping what you sow. Sorry. The other part is that it reflects life, in that there are all kinds of people, and this is the internet. Ignore those that don't answer your questions. Some are here for humor. Some for sharing information. Some for attention. I would guess most of us are here for a mix of the three.

Moving to Car Forum...
I was just taking an opportunity to vent a frustration... and as for reaping what we sow - I wish that were true on here because I feel like I spend alot more time giving out solid advice or helping others than I do seeking it and on the rare occasion I do seek some, I'm often met with undesired results (which is why it's rare that I ask).
I do a fair amount of joke answering, but in general (IMO) I don't resort to insults and I don't rehash old shit - especially when the poster is frustrated by it. I never jumped on the top bunk bandwagon for example.

It's just annoying to me that I can't post about a car I've bought or talk about eating or drinking or the taste of something or anything having to do with a mouth or food or sex without being harassed - all because I quoted a line from a movie once several years ago. It would just be nice if people could let things go and have a little respect for each other around here. Here - unlike life (in my experience) - when you let someone know that something bothers you or hurts your feelings, they bring it up more often. In life that would indicate that someone hates your guts and I don't know what I could've possibly done to make that many people on here care about me enough hate my guts over the internet.

Whoa - off topic. Anyway - I hope we do get a car forum. And I thought your advice was pretty good... it is a huge undertaking changing out the engine and transmission and such - he might also want to change out the suspension and for sure the brakes.

Here's some links I've managed to find off google...

http://www.my-car-picture.com/monte-ls-pics.html
http://www.montecarloss.com/SS_FAQ_4.html
http://www.montecarloss.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi - really active forum just for this car

My cousin has or had an older one with a beefy engine I think... might've been something else though. He bought it that way because it was too much work to do himself. If you want to do a project like this, I'd consider restoring an old camaro or a mustang first for practice - easy to find parts and when you're done you could make a profit.
Old 08-13-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RandyC - yeah I loved that car (mmm that 60's chevy smell), but time, money, space and just plain being afraid to take it out in public forced me to get rid of it

I will honestly say that I was given the base car for free and it ran (was in the family, relative died, no one wanted it and I ended up with it)

I put like 4 years of my free time (and all my spare money) into fixing it up, it was ORIGINAL. All parts were either NOS or junkyard or taken off this car and repaired and put back on. Numbers matched, it had 87,000 ORIGINAL miles on it when I sold it in 1998 (after it had been in storage for a few years)

Knowing I got the car for free and did most of the labor myself in the fix-ups, I still lost thousands when I sold it.

I stopped driving it in public because I hit a point where ANYTIME I took it out some assfuck had to vandalise it. It was keyed a dozen times at least, the last time starting at one front fender and went the entire way around the car, over the trunk and everything. I never had that one fixed, it was so bad it would have meant an entire repaint (the car was midnight blue, looked black except in daylight, scratches showed up like neon).

I can not count the number of flat tires (yes bias ply tires with white walls, it was all original) that were damaged in parking lots by some dikheads.

Windows busted out

Spray painted

panels kicked in

No one ever stole it though. When I left it parked somewhere, I took the rotor out of the distributor. I figured no one would ever figure that out (or have one with them to put in) and it was a small part to carry with me, 2 minutes to replace. Best security system ever

I put an aftermarket locking gas cap on it and had the hood latch rigged with a padlock as well (yes, cars in the 60's you could open the gas cap and hood from the outside of the car with no keys)

Now days, I don't own anything unless it blends into the background and no one will notice it. What most people here call 'soul-less'

Even my bike is a typical UJM that looks like nothing special.

Jealous people suck.
Old 08-13-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

god - where the hell did you live that every time you took it out someone vandalized it? That fucking sucks. I had my mustang vandalized in high school (deep keying to the metal about 8 inches long), but that's it. Oh - and one time someone came into my driveway and pulled all the plug wires out of the distributor cap - had to look up the correct timing and crap. People are mean. I'm thinking your vandal was just the same dude who really didn't like you for some reason. My ex girlfriend keyed my truck from front to back, but she's a psycho.
Old 08-14-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
RandyC - yeah I loved that car (mmm that 60's chevy smell), but time, money, space and just plain being afraid to take it out in public forced me to get rid of it

I will honestly say that I was given the base car for free and it ran (was in the family, relative died, no one wanted it and I ended up with it)

I put like 4 years of my free time (and all my spare money) into fixing it up, it was ORIGINAL. All parts were either NOS or junkyard or taken off this car and repaired and put back on. Numbers matched, it had 87,000 ORIGINAL miles on it when I sold it in 1998 (after it had been in storage for a few years)

Knowing I got the car for free and did most of the labor myself in the fix-ups, I still lost thousands when I sold it.

I stopped driving it in public because I hit a point where ANYTIME I took it out some assfuck had to vandalise it. It was keyed a dozen times at least, the last time starting at one front fender and went the entire way around the car, over the trunk and everything. I never had that one fixed, it was so bad it would have meant an entire repaint (the car was midnight blue, looked black except in daylight, scratches showed up like neon).

I can not count the number of flat tires (yes bias ply tires with white walls, it was all original) that were damaged in parking lots by some dikheads.

Windows busted out

Spray painted

panels kicked in

No one ever stole it though. When I left it parked somewhere, I took the rotor out of the distributor. I figured no one would ever figure that out (or have one with them to put in) and it was a small part to carry with me, 2 minutes to replace. Best security system ever

I put an aftermarket locking gas cap on it and had the hood latch rigged with a padlock as well (yes, cars in the 60's you could open the gas cap and hood from the outside of the car with no keys)

Now days, I don't own anything unless it blends into the background and no one will notice it. What most people here call 'soul-less'

Even my bike is a typical UJM that looks like nothing special.

Jealous people suck.

Shit like that makes me wanna throw up I CAN NOT stand chicken shits that do stuff to peoples cars. Old Chevys are like a work of art to me car vandals are in the same catagory as child molesters in my book.

I have not ruled out the option of buying an already restored car but I really want to have one built from the ground up. I know a few mechanics but none I fully trust which is why I'm trying to learn what I can. My dad's best friend was a gear head that restored a 78 Mustang, a 86 Vette, and a 77 (i think) D'ville. He was gonna help me build a car when I got older but he passed away some years back. I however never gave up wanting to the project and now I'm slowly lining up my money to possibly make it happen.

Trigger,
http://www.montecarloss.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi great link thanks :tu:
Old 08-14-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Now that's ingenious! I wonder, the assclowns who vandalized the car, do you think they had tried to jack it, couldn't, then took revenge?

The lack of respect for other people's property, especially cars, is appaling. We got a car a few weeks ago, used, but still, it only had a couple scratches on it. After a few days stay at the hospital, it looks like someone let a bunch of jackals with really long claws run all over it.
Old 08-14-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have lived in the Northern VA area my whole life (asshat central). "Every time" is an obvious exageration, but it seemed that way. I doubt it was the same person, it usually happened whenever I left the car parked somewhere I didn't normally go and left it for a few hours or longer (like overnight).

This shit happened in 4 states (MD, WV, VA, PA, and DC) over the several years that I owned it. Sometimes leaving me stranded. I drove my POS 1995 Camry to all the same places even more often over a 10 year period and never had a thing happen to it

I have a buddy at work with a 1980 Ferrari (the magnum PI car) and he has had similar experience. Now when he drives the car, he wont leave it parked anywhere for more than 30 minutes and usually he just drives it and then brings it home

My window use to over look part of the parking lot at work and I would always see people going over to his car and looking all day long. The thing just attracts attention be it good or bad. Again - not a single person would look twice at my camry parked 2 spaces away

Good luck in whatever you do, I want to restore another one at some point in my life. I honestly enjoy the work and sense of accomplishment so I wouldnt care too much about the cost. But I would not leave it parked anywhere for a long period of time. For a while, that Chevelle was my only car so it made things tough.
Old 08-15-05, 11:40 AM
Banned

A bit off topic, but what the hey...

Here - unlike life (in my experience) - when you let someone know that something bothers you or hurts your feelings, they bring it up more often.
In real life, when somebody let's me know that they're that much of a whiny jerkoff, I stop being friends with them. I stop talking to them, I stop answering them, I stop all forms of responding to them. If they talk to me, I tell them to fuck off. I just cut them off like a diseased limb, in other words. I've only actually had to do this three times, mind you. But I have no time for over-sensitive people who can't take a joke. I've got better things to do than to try to censor myself for some whiny moron who's probably not worth being around anyway.

So my advice to you is to not be that guy. Try to grow a thicker skin. Seriously, you'll be a lot happier in life if you don't get your feelings hurt so easily.

I'm not trying to insult you, BTW, I'm just saying how I feel, is all.

Last edited by Otto; 08-15-05 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-15-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Otto
A bit off topic, but what the hey...

In real life, when somebody let's me know that they're that much of a whiny jerkoff, I stop being friends with them. I stop talking to them, I stop answering them, I stop all forms of responding to them. If they talk to me, I tell them to fuck off. I just cut them off like a diseased limb, in other words. I've only actually had to do this three times, mind you. But I have no time for over-sensitive people who can't take a joke. I've got better things to do than to try to censor myself for some whiny moron who's probably not worth being around anyway.

So my advice to you is to not be that guy. Try to grow a thicker skin. Seriously, you'll be a lot happier in life if you don't get your feelings hurt so easily.

I'm not trying to insult you, BTW, I'm just saying how I feel, is all.
1, I don't believe you. Someone expresses they don't find a certain insult funny anymore and you become a total insensitive jerk to them? I'd be really surprised if that were true and if it was, I'd be even more surprised if you have any friends at all in real life. 2, I had a thick skin about it for awhile, but grew tired of the repetition. I'm sorry if you have no tolerance for people who don't like being harassed... that's very sad for you. 3, this isn't about hurt feelings - it's about being able to freely post on a forum without having to endure this kind of stupid bullshit constantly. 4, contratulations on more or less calling me a whiny jerkoff moron without breaking any forum rules - I suggest that if you feel like I'm not worth being around, you not bother wasting your time.
Old 08-15-05, 02:58 PM
Banned

1, I don't believe you. Someone expresses they don't find a certain insult funny anymore and you become a total insensitive jerk to them? I'd be really surprised if that were true and if it was, I'd be even more surprised if you have any friends at all in real life.
It is true, and I have lots of friends, thank you very much.

2, I had a thick skin about it for awhile, but grew tired of the repetition. I'm sorry if you have no tolerance for people who don't like being harassed... that's very sad for you.
You didn't say one word about "repetition" in the original post. And no, I have no tolerance for people who are overly sensitive and can't take humor at their expense.

3, this isn't about hurt feelings - it's about being able to freely post on a forum without having to endure this kind of stupid bullshit constantly.
Then why not ignore it? I mean, why do you think it's some kind of endurance challenge?

4, contratulations on more or less calling me a whiny jerkoff moron without breaking any forum rules - I suggest that if you feel like I'm not worth being around, you not bother wasting your time.
Argh. I was not referring to you. I was trying very hard to provide a serious response and some minor criticism, actually. I was trying to make it clear that I wasn't referring directly to you or anyone else, but appearantly I failed.

I was simply commenting on the concepts and ideas you expressed, as if somebody had expressed them to me "in real life" (which has happened).

As for the repetition thing, also understand that a lot of people who post online don't look at the usernames of who they are replying to. I frequently don't know who said what, because I rarely care. I'm responding to content, not to personality. Except for when reply to kvrdave, then I'm definitely responding to personality.
Old 08-15-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
http://www.chevytalk.com/
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...play.php?f=729
Old 08-15-05, 08:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

... asshole comments are not needed. Thank you.

Neither are personal attacks, so please avoid comments like this in the future.

Also, Trigger/Otto, you're way off topic here.