Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

My company has finally turned to Big Brother

Old 08-11-05, 03:43 PM
Banned

My company has finally turned to Big Brother

We're installing some software called Stromberg that figures out (supposedly) when you come in and leave and how long your computer is inactive...basically whenever you get up to take a shit. Just craziness.

Anybody else's company doing this babysitting?
Old 08-11-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That fucking piece of shit Stromberg. We've been using it for the last 3-4 years.
Old 08-11-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
We're installing some software called Stromberg that figures out (supposedly) when you come in and leave and how long your computer is inactive...basically whenever you get up to take a shit. Just craziness.

Anybody else's company doing this babysitting?
There's gotta be a program which opens and closes programs, and simulates mouse movements on a pc?
Old 08-11-05, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zuffy
That fucking piece of shit Stromberg. We've been using it for the last 3-4 years.
Yeah? How is it? What are we in for? The CEO of the company announced it like it was this GREAT thing for all of us. Far from it. We're not that stupid.
Old 08-11-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, Stromberg doesn't log inactivities in your PC. It's basically a web base application for your timecard. Supposely, make it easier for HR/Payroll to control your vacations, sick days, personal, jury duty, hours, etc.

We just bought 4 new servers (2 HP blades and 2 HP DL380G4) for the new version of Stromberg.
Old 08-11-05, 04:02 PM
Banned

No, Stromberg doesn't log inactivities in your PC. It's basically a web base application for your timecard. Supposely, make it easier for HR/Payroll to control your vacations, sick days, personal, jury duty, hours, etc.

We just bought 4 new servers (2 HP blades and 2 HP DL380G4) for the new version of Stromberg.
So........what if i come in 20 minutes late or something...or what about lunch breaks? does it log all that stuff and "ding" someone if something looks wrong?
Old 08-11-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sounds like someone is making a killing off of this software and required hardware.
Old 08-11-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My company used to use a program called Witness which randomly took screenshots of your computer so the "higher-up's" could see what was going on at any given time.
Old 08-11-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
So........what if i come in 20 minutes late or something...or what about lunch breaks? does it log all that stuff and "ding" someone if something looks wrong?
As a salary employee, this system is pretty meanless for me but for some departments or hourly paid employees, it's useful for the managers. Basically, we punch-in in the morning to log our start time and then punch-out when we leave. This is a good system for managers/HR to fire or give tardy to people.
Old 08-11-05, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by noonan4224
My company used to use a program called Witness which randomly took screenshots of your computer so the "higher-up's" could see what was going on at any given time.
wow. how big was your company?
Old 08-11-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Man. I'm in the wrong business. I should be selling crappy shitty crap like this.
Old 08-11-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Sounds like someone is making a killing off of this software and required hardware.
Hardware, not really since we buy them from this one vendor; software, definitely. The company is located in Miami, Fl. Basically, it uses IIS for the web base piece and Microsoft SQL 2000 for the database. I don't remember the cost of the application though.
Old 08-11-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now, that is pretty fucked up.
Old 08-11-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Perverts
Old 08-11-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Observe, Mr. Bond, the instruments of Armageddon."
Old 08-11-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
There's gotta be a program which opens and closes programs, and simulates mouse movements on a pc?
Office's macro function should work
Old 08-11-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Solution:

Old 08-11-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a salary employee, this system is pretty meanless for me but for some departments or hourly paid employees, it's useful for the managers. Basically, we punch-in in the morning to log our start time and then punch-out when we leave. This is a good system for managers/HR to fire or give tardy to people.
So basically this is just a punch-time clock system?

The end is near!
Old 08-11-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
So basically this is just a punch-time clock system?

The end is near!
YES, and it will only cost you a few hundred thousands to implement!
Old 08-11-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

YES, and it will only cost you a few hundred thousands to implement!
These companies know exactly where to cut the corners.
Old 08-11-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Funny... I'm building a "Stromberg" type thing to monitor myself and keep track of the time I spend actually working vs. posting on this forum.

Actually... it's just something I'll use to manage my time more effectively... with many projects at a time, it can be hard to decide what to work on. This program will tell me what to do based on my project load and deadlines. Naturally, it will emit electric shocks if I log on to the other forum when I'm supsoed to be working. Or maybe it will just pop out the CD tray to use as a coaster.
Old 08-11-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
The Solution:

exactly what i was going to post...

if you could just him to put cover sheets on your TPS reports you would be set.
Old 08-11-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We have witness where I work too. Luckily we all figured out it only takes a picture for some reason of the top left of the screen, so we always have a work application up in that space and usually the internet on the other parts of the screen.
Old 08-11-05, 08:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Green Smurf
We have witness where I work too. Luckily we all figured out it only takes a picture for some reason of the top left of the screen, so we always have a work application up in that space and usually the internet on the other parts of the screen.
Old 08-11-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

my company has a software called System Walker. Supposidely they're using it to monitor illegal versions of software. Buuuuut, it also makes a pc log that tracks what programs you have opened, how long they have been open, and they can log into your pc w/out your knowledge to see what you're doing. Damn the man!