Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

My company has finally turned to Big Brother

Old 08-11-05, 03:43 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
My company has finally turned to Big Brother

We're installing some software called Stromberg that figures out (supposedly) when you come in and leave and how long your computer is inactive...basically whenever you get up to take a shit. Just craziness.

Anybody else's company doing this babysitting?
digitalfreaknyc is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 03:53 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Region 1
Posts: 16,290
That fucking piece of shit Stromberg. We've been using it for the last 3-4 years.
zuffy is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 03:56 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,928
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
We're installing some software called Stromberg that figures out (supposedly) when you come in and leave and how long your computer is inactive...basically whenever you get up to take a shit. Just craziness.

Anybody else's company doing this babysitting?
There's gotta be a program which opens and closes programs, and simulates mouse movements on a pc?
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 03:57 PM
  #4  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Originally Posted by zuffy
That fucking piece of shit Stromberg. We've been using it for the last 3-4 years.
Yeah? How is it? What are we in for? The CEO of the company announced it like it was this GREAT thing for all of us. Far from it. We're not that stupid.
digitalfreaknyc is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 03:59 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Region 1
Posts: 16,290
No, Stromberg doesn't log inactivities in your PC. It's basically a web base application for your timecard. Supposely, make it easier for HR/Payroll to control your vacations, sick days, personal, jury duty, hours, etc.

We just bought 4 new servers (2 HP blades and 2 HP DL380G4) for the new version of Stromberg.
zuffy is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 04:02 PM
  #6  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Originally Posted by zuffy
No, Stromberg doesn't log inactivities in your PC. It's basically a web base application for your timecard. Supposely, make it easier for HR/Payroll to control your vacations, sick days, personal, jury duty, hours, etc.

We just bought 4 new servers (2 HP blades and 2 HP DL380G4) for the new version of Stromberg.
So........what if i come in 20 minutes late or something...or what about lunch breaks? does it log all that stuff and "ding" someone if something looks wrong?
digitalfreaknyc is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 04:04 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,928
Sounds like someone is making a killing off of this software and required hardware.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 04:05 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 10,554
My company used to use a program called Witness which randomly took screenshots of your computer so the "higher-up's" could see what was going on at any given time.
Noonan is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 04:08 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Region 1
Posts: 16,290
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
So........what if i come in 20 minutes late or something...or what about lunch breaks? does it log all that stuff and "ding" someone if something looks wrong?
As a salary employee, this system is pretty meanless for me but for some departments or hourly paid employees, it's useful for the managers. Basically, we punch-in in the morning to log our start time and then punch-out when we leave. This is a good system for managers/HR to fire or give tardy to people.
zuffy is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 04:09 PM
  #10  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Originally Posted by noonan4224
My company used to use a program called Witness which randomly took screenshots of your computer so the "higher-up's" could see what was going on at any given time.
wow. how big was your company?
digitalfreaknyc is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 04:10 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,814
Man. I'm in the wrong business. I should be selling crappy shitty crap like this.
The Bus is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 04:12 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Region 1
Posts: 16,290
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Sounds like someone is making a killing off of this software and required hardware.
Hardware, not really since we buy them from this one vendor; software, definitely. The company is located in Miami, Fl. Basically, it uses IIS for the web base piece and Microsoft SQL 2000 for the database. I don't remember the cost of the application though.
zuffy is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 04:13 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Region 1
Posts: 16,290
Originally Posted by noonan4224
My company used to use a program called Witness which randomly took screenshots of your computer so the "higher-up's" could see what was going on at any given time.
Now, that is pretty fucked up.
zuffy is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 04:15 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
mapasu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 1,269
Originally Posted by noonan4224
My company used to use a program called Witness which randomly took screenshots of your computer so the "higher-up's" could see what was going on at any given time.
Perverts
mapasu is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 04:27 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DarthVong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Under your bed
Posts: 5,775


"Observe, Mr. Bond, the instruments of Armageddon."
DarthVong is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 04:34 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,694
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
There's gotta be a program which opens and closes programs, and simulates mouse movements on a pc?
Office's macro function should work
mikehunt is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 05:56 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bronkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AnaheimLand, SoCal
Posts: 14,621
The Solution:

Bronkster is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 06:00 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,679
Originally Posted by zuffy
As a salary employee, this system is pretty meanless for me but for some departments or hourly paid employees, it's useful for the managers. Basically, we punch-in in the morning to log our start time and then punch-out when we leave. This is a good system for managers/HR to fire or give tardy to people.
So basically this is just a punch-time clock system?

The end is near!
Ranger is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 06:01 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Region 1
Posts: 16,290
Originally Posted by Ranger
So basically this is just a punch-time clock system?

The end is near!
YES, and it will only cost you a few hundred thousands to implement!
zuffy is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 06:03 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,679
Originally Posted by zuffy
YES, and it will only cost you a few hundred thousands to implement!
These companies know exactly where to cut the corners.
Ranger is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 06:45 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Funny... I'm building a "Stromberg" type thing to monitor myself and keep track of the time I spend actually working vs. posting on this forum.

Actually... it's just something I'll use to manage my time more effectively... with many projects at a time, it can be hard to decide what to work on. This program will tell me what to do based on my project load and deadlines. Naturally, it will emit electric shocks if I log on to the other forum when I'm supsoed to be working. Or maybe it will just pop out the CD tray to use as a coaster.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 07:33 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Originally Posted by Bronkster
The Solution:

exactly what i was going to post...

if you could just him to put cover sheets on your TPS reports you would be set.
Cameron is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 08:05 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Summerfest
Posts: 1,227
We have witness where I work too. Luckily we all figured out it only takes a picture for some reason of the top left of the screen, so we always have a work application up in that space and usually the internet on the other parts of the screen.
Green Smurf is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 08:13 PM
  #24  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,790
Originally Posted by Green Smurf
We have witness where I work too. Luckily we all figured out it only takes a picture for some reason of the top left of the screen, so we always have a work application up in that space and usually the internet on the other parts of the screen.
lotsofdvds is offline  
Old 08-11-05, 08:16 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
bigsoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sachse, TX
Posts: 4,514
my company has a software called System Walker. Supposidely they're using it to monitor illegal versions of software. Buuuuut, it also makes a pc log that tracks what programs you have opened, how long they have been open, and they can log into your pc w/out your knowledge to see what you're doing. Damn the man!
bigsoos is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.