Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Seven Wonders of Chicago

Old 08-11-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Seven Wonders of Chicago

The Chicago Tribune is holding a contest to name the Seven Wonders of Chicago. Right now, they are taking nominations. The limitations are that it must be in the Chicago metropolitan area and that it can't be a person.

So what should I nominate?

Here are my thoughts:

1. The Sears Tower -- tallest building in the U.S and for many years, the tallest building in the world. An feat of engineering.

2. The University of Chicago -- sure, there are older schools in the Chicago Area, but no other school gave birth to the atomic age and no other school concentrates such intellectual power in one institution.

3. The El -- World famous

4. The Old Water Tower -- It survived the Chicago Fire!

5. Wrigley Field -- The ivy covered walls fo the Friendly Confines surely belong on any list of Chicago Wonders. Sorry, Sox fans.

6. The Chicago Lakefront -- a natural wonder stretching for miles.

7. Millenium Park -- our newest wonder.

What would you nominate? What would you nominate as your own city's seven wonders?
Old 08-11-05, 11:11 AM
Banned

I'd have the Bahai Temple up there.

Old 08-11-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ohhh... can't be a person
Old 08-11-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lower Wacker
Old 08-11-05, 11:44 AM
Banned

Maybe in 2009 we can add:

Old 08-11-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In the Chicago tradition, I'll inflate a request for 7 to a brag about 10.
1. Sears Tower- still the benchmark, Petronas and Taipei 101 are shams.
2. Grant Park and the lakeshore- the most impressive and best designed urban park in America (yes, it's better than Central Park). the addition of the fantastic Millenium Park just adds to the attraction.
3. The Chicago River and Ship Canal- Chicago is the third largest port in the US, insane considering it's in the middle of the country. The canal makes it possible. Also, the river is incredibly revitalized and really opens up the city. The river is what makes Chicago so much more beautiful than, say, Manhattan. Add the radical engineering feat of reversing the river's flow and it's an amazing site.
4. Michigan Avenue- the south end (south of the river) is one of the most important line-ups of American architecture in the country, the north end is the glitziest shopping district in the country, bar none. Add Oak Street Beach and Grant Park and the is the best avenue in an American City (IMO).
5. LaSalle Street canyon- the signature Chicago image, probably the definitive image of urban America. Featured in every movie set in Chicago (think The Untouchables). The combination of modern and art deco skyscrapers makes it truly astounding.
6. Wrigley Field- the greatest ballpark in America (and I'm a Red Sox fan). Also has the most insane party atmosphere of any field. Baseball at Wrigley defines the American summer.
7. A Vienna Beef hotdog- the definitive Chicago food (it is to be found in city limits, does it qualify?) You will not find a better dog anywhere (Gray's Papaya HA!, Nathan's HA!).
8. The El around the Loop-once again, a signature Chicago feature. Casts amazing shadows, makes the Loop seem gothic and of a different time. It 's a crucial facet of the city's character.
9. Devon Street- a kaleidoscopic street of insane diversity. Koreans, Indians, Poles, Russians, they all shop on Devon. One block is Mumbai, the next Budapest. It speaks to Chicago's diversity and immigrant roots.
10. The Robie House- the definitive American home. It's the first modern American house and every house since it has been influenced by it. It's design is uniquely American (it takes from many international styles and combines them), it's the first major house with an open floor plan, it's incredibly inventive in it's use of space and setting (it must have looked bizarre 100 years ago) It's also a vision of the American version of success as it was built for a successful businessman, not aristocracy. America's greatest architect's masterwork.

Last edited by Hiro11; 08-11-05 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-11-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Green Jello
Maybe in 2009 we can add:

is that the new Trump building? it is pretty fugly
Old 08-11-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 08-11-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Fordham Spire, not Trump. Trump is building a 90 story building a little bit further down the river.
Old 08-11-05, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Fordham Spire, not Trump. Trump is building a 90 story building a little bit further down the river.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431923
Old 08-11-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would add in Michigan Ave, Navy Pier and take out 3, 6, and try to add in Billy Goat Tavern somehow prob drop number 2.. That would be pretty good. Also prob put Grant Park instead of Millenium.
Old 08-11-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
I would add in Michigan Ave, Navy Pier and take out 3, 6, and try to add in Billy Goat Tavern somehow prob drop number 2.. That would be pretty good. Also prob put Grant Park instead of Millenium.
Navy Pier and the Billy Goat are horrible tourist traps, IMO.
Old 08-11-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by JasonF
5. Wrigley Field -- The ivy covered walls fo the Friendly Confines surely belong on any list of Chicago Wonders. Sorry, Sox fans.
Well screw that sub .500 excuse for a baseball team. At least Sox fans expect their team to win if they're going to go to the games.

If food counts (like the Vienna Beef Hot Dog) I would add Pizzaria Uno, the best Pizza in the world.
Old 08-11-05, 12:35 PM
Banned

Old 08-11-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seems kind of silly to "nominate" wonders. If there's debate to be had, either they aren't wonders or there are more than 7.

That said, I love Chicago, but I'd leave the El off. While it's definitely well-known, the pervasive smell of urine throughout the system kinda reduces it's Wonderfulness for me.
Old 08-11-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You guys don't like the Billy Goat? I was gonna post a few pix of it in my Chicago trip photo thread. I didn't know it was a tourist trap although it seemed like the customers were mostly tourists during the mid-day.

I went to it cuz I love Mike Royko and his columns. RIP.
Old 08-11-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ha. I wasn't answering what I thought, I thought the point was to come up with the list the magazine will select... which would obviously be tourist traps, and heavily visited areas... I was simply trying to help with your list. You're thinking way to hard, no way they select the University of Chicago, or the L imho, they want places they can sell people.

I agree, though I hate Navy pier, now billy goat, I do like. Which one are you guys going to with all the tourists? The original one isn't to bad, but then again somehwhat hard to find for a tourist I think, and the one by the UC, is hardly ever crowded, so not sure which ones you guys frequented.

I'm not sure what I would really think, just putting the obvious things the magazine is gonna want to list
Old 08-11-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

By the way, the Trib is taking nominations until Tuesday. Then their staff will narrow the field to 14, reveal them one by one, and let everyone vote to pick the Seven Wonders of Chicago.
Old 08-11-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Hmm. I am one that thinks that building is absolutely 'too' cool.

I would add the Museum of Science and Industry - the only building (If I am correct) left of the White City.

Last edited by Flashback; 08-11-05 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-11-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
You guys don't like the Billy Goat? I was gonna post a few pix of it in my Chicago trip photo thread. I didn't know it was a tourist trap although it seemed like the customers were mostly tourists during the mid-day.

I went to it cuz I love Mike Royko and his columns. RIP.
I like Billy Goat. I used to live a couple of blocks from there and if you go during the week, especially late in the evening, there are some really interesting people there with some great stories. Now go on the weekend in the afternoon when all the tourists are there, different story.
Old 08-11-05, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The IIT campus is littered w/ the wonderful work of Mies van der Rohe.
Old 08-11-05, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flashback
- the only building (If I am correct) left of the White City.
What do you mean by "white city"?
Old 08-11-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What do you mean by "white city"?
This was in Chicago, and also a central story to the book "The Devil In The White City."

The fair was a year late. The World's Columbian Exposition was promoted to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Columbus's voyage to America, but the organizers had problems securing a sufficient number of exhibitors in time, a consequence of the financial panic on Wall Street and an epidemic of bank failures. When the gates finally swung open, Frank Lloyd Wright among the hordes inspected Daniel Burnham's Great White City. The era's leading architectural critic Montgomery Schuyler called the fair "the most admired group of buildings ever erected in this country," explaining its appeal as "a success of unity, a triumph of ensemble."

Link

Found this ...

McKim, Mead and White designed the Agriculture building. Of the more than 200 buildings erected for the fair, the only one which still stands in place is the Palace of Fine Arts. From the time the fair closed until 1920, the building housed the Field Columbian Museum (now the relocated Field Museum of Natural History). In 1931 the building re-opened as the Museum of Science and Industry.

Last edited by Flashback; 08-11-05 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-11-05, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flashback
This was in Chicago, and also a central story to the book "The Devil In The White City."

The fair was a year late. The World's Columbian Exposition was promoted to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Columbus's voyage to America, but the organizers had problems securing a sufficient number of exhibitors in time, a consequence of the financial panic on Wall Street and an epidemic of bank failures. When the gates finally swung open, Frank Lloyd Wright among the hordes inspected Daniel Burnham's Great White City. The era's leading architectural critic Montgomery Schuyler called the fair "the most admired group of buildings ever erected in this country," explaining its appeal as "a success of unity, a triumph of ensemble."

Link

Found this ...

McKim, Mead and White designed the Agriculture building. Of the more than 200 buildings erected for the fair, the only one which still stands in place is the Palace of Fine Arts. From the time the fair closed until 1920, the building housed the Field Columbian Museum (now the relocated Field Museum of Natural History). In 1931 the building re-opened as the Museum of Science and Industry.
Cool. Thanks.
Old 08-11-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd have the Bahai Temple up there.

That is like, North Evanston. It is cool though, just not a Chicago wonder.

It could be an Evanston wonder, right above the damn temperance movement.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.