Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Diet Coke vs. Coke Zero: whats the difference??

Old 08-10-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Diet Coke vs. Coke Zero: whats the difference??

is it the same thing??
Old 08-10-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
different sweetener
Old 08-10-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Much less aftertaste in the Zero.
Old 08-10-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://leslie.harpold.com/presents/0...iet_cokes.html

Demystifying Diet Coke(s)

For those of you who have expressed confusion over the many forms of diet and sugar free cokes now available to you, I offer an explanation, because I was confused so I did the research. Thanks to Bevnet and the Coca Cola 800 customer service number for contributing supporting facts.

Diet Coke
Although it came out two years before “New” coke, diet coke that we’ve enjoyed since the 80s is the sugar free form of new coke. In other words, it’s based on the formula for the “New Coke” that wasn’t released yet (it debuted in 1985) when Diet Coke hit the market (1983), and is also now no longer available. (the New coke). Coca Cola has no plans at this time to discontinue the aspartame based Diet Coke, as it is third in the soda market. (After Coke and Pepsi, respectively.)

Diet Coke with Splenda
You can spot it on shelves by the yellow bit in the label and the blue caps - this is a late to market response to those Diet Coke drinkers and Atkins dieters who wanted a Splenda sweetened soda. This is based on the same formula as Diet Coke, but because the sweetener has a different taste, the taste of the drink is closer to the way “new Coke” tasted, or for those too young to remember - a slightly sweeter version of Coke.

C2
Half diet coke and Half “real” coke - for those who wanted to reduce the amount of sugar but weren’t ready to give up everything just yet. Sweetened with a combination of high fructose corn syrup, aspartame (Equal) and sucralose (Splenda) .

Coca Cola Zero
Sweetened with aspartame and acesulfame potassium., the reason this is different than Diet Coke is Coca Cola Zero is a sugar free version of the Classic Coke formulation. In other words, this is meant to be a sugar free version of the red cans of Coke you know and may or may not love. It has a redder, deeper color close to the color of Classic Coke and tastes far less like a diet soda (by many accounts) than Diet Coke.

Coca Cola Light
The European version of Diet Coke - slight variations from country to country based on food regulations, water quality and fidelity to syrup to water ratio account for taste variations, but this is largely Diet Coke with a different name to conform to local food labelling laws.
Old 08-10-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Diet Coke Zero tastes like it has pepper in it...Maybe thats the secret ingredient.
Old 08-10-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stevevt
Coca Cola Light
The European version of Diet Coke - slight variations from country to country based on food regulations, water quality and fidelity to syrup to water ratio account for taste variations, but this is largely Diet Coke with a different name to conform to local food labelling laws.
no way Coca Light is largely Diet Coke.

Coca Light is the best soft drink I've ever had. I want to go to Europe just to have another one.
Old 08-10-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been asking Pepsi and Coke to add only 50% of the sugar for the last two years. They could do it, and I wouldn't have such a fat ass.
Old 08-10-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really like Coca Cola Zero, much better than diet coke. It definitely tastes much closer to Coca Cola Classic than diet. Coca Cola is the one thing I wish I could drink unlimited quantities of, I miss regular coke, but Coca Cola Zero is a step in the right direction.
Old 08-10-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I've been asking Pepsi and Coke to add only 50% of the sugar for the last two years. They could do it, and I wouldn't have such a fat ass.
Isn't that C2?
Old 08-10-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does Coke zero have caffeine?
Old 08-10-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Timber
Isn't that C2?
Yeah, but it has Splenda and all that Mutant Ingredient stuff in it. I might go ahead and try it though. Haven't seen it locally. Maybe some PDX Otters can direct me.
Old 08-10-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Yeah, but it has Splenda and all that Mutant Ingredient stuff in it. I might go ahead and try it though. Haven't seen it locally. Maybe some PDX Otters can direct me.
My husband drinks C2 all the time and loves it. I think it tastes funny. Get a small bottle of it and give it a try then report back here what you think of it.
Old 08-10-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk God

I really like C2. Unfortunately, it isn't easy to find. Sometimes my grocery store has it and sometimes it doesn't.
Old 08-10-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
My husband drinks C2 all the time and loves it. I think it tastes funny. Get a small bottle of it and give it a try then report back here what you think of it.
I must be blind at the store. I'll get some and report back later tonight.
Old 08-10-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
no way Coca Light is largely Diet Coke.

Coca Light is the best soft drink I've ever had. I want to go to Europe just to have another one.
No need to fly over the Atlantic, they have Coca Cola Light in Mexico (though I'm unsure if its just relabeled US Diet Coke.)
Old 08-11-05, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by clemente
No need to fly over the Atlantic, they have Coca Cola Light in Mexico (though I'm unsure if its just relabeled US Diet Coke.)
I've had Coke on a Caribbean cruise before, and it tasted like ass compared to American Coke. I would assume Mexican Coke is similar.
That said, thanks for the info stevevt. I've wondered for a while now why Coca Cola Zero has a different taste than Diet Coke.
Old 08-11-05, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Diet Coke has the prefix 'Diet' whilst Coke Zero utilises the suffix 'Zero'. I hope this clears things up for you.
Old 08-11-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
I made the switch from DC to CCZ after years of addiction to the former. Now it tastes like poo to me. Hurray CCZ!!!111!one!
Old 08-11-05, 08:41 AM

I prefer Zero because of the already mentioned lack of aftertaste.
Old 08-11-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have always HATED Diet Coke. Tasted like poo to me all along.

I'm now ADDICTED to Coke Zero. I have a 12 pack under my desk! It tastes like regular coke & I can't believe it took them 20 years to come up with this! Iiiidiots!
Old 08-11-05, 08:55 AM
Suspended

CCZ does lack the aftertaste. However the beforetaste isn't that good.
Old 08-11-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I've had Coke on a Caribbean cruise before, and it tasted like ass compared to American Coke. I would assume Mexican Coke is similar.
Old 08-11-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
That said, thanks for the info stevevt. I've wondered for a while now why Coca Cola Zero has a different taste than Diet Coke.
That's your opinion. Most people crave the coke from there because its made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup. I think you are probably just not used to it.

Coca cola light is available in mexico. had it last week and I think it is slightly different from the diet coke here.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
This stuff last week was pretty good too!
Old 08-11-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Coke Light in Italy was the best diet soft drink I've had.

I'll have to try this Coke Zero junk since I'm into diet drinks and am getting tired of Dr Pepper, though Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper is still the best I've had state-side.

The explanations of all the "Diet" Cokes above was really helpful.
Old 08-11-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What about Tab? That was all aftertaste.